collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 280058 times)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Alan Hutton - new three year contract signed
« Reply #765 on: December 10, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
In the heat of the moment we're all one eyed but after the game i will say it how i saw it. I couldn't give a toss who he plays for, in my opinion he made out he was injured only to dive to his feet when provoked verbally. You assumed Konchesky was accusing him of play acting. Why didn't  you  assume he'd given him a volley of "take that you #$@#$#" etc? Therefore i can't see how you can go on to suggest the notion of feigning injury is ridiculous. Call it gamesmanship whatever it's  dishonest. Olsson did it at Villa Park a few seasons back and got Herd sent off. We were  all up in arms about it then and i don't go along with if you can't beat them join em opinion. By the way i've played football for thirty years and if i've taken a whack bad enough to leave me lying on the turf then i'm not jumping up seconds later for a ruck. Anyone who has played a contact sport will tell you that.
Olsson originally fouled Herd by holding his foot. Herd's attempt to extricate his foot from Olsson's grip made it look like a stamp to the linesman. The really shitty thing with it was that Olsson actually stated on MOTD that Herd had stamped on him...as did Woy.
I've also played football for years - if my foot hurt and some twat called me something that really got to me I'd get up and confront him.
We don't know what Konchesky said, but whatever it was he wanted the World and his mother to see him berating someone he'd just fouled. (Ungentlemanly conduct?)
To not receive a personal punishment for that is wrong...imho.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #766 on: December 10, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »
We were up in arms about Olsson and Hodgson over that incident as both claimed in interviews after the game that Herd had stamped on Olsson when he hadn't.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #767 on: December 10, 2014, 08:27:54 PM »
Frank. I think everyone  who is associated  with  football both from a watching and playing perspective finds the ruling of being able to rescind a red but not a yellow frustrating. Konchesky  deserved a yellow. However,  i think he,his manager his team mates and the Leicester fans would prefer the yellow card rather than playing the end of the game 2-1 down reduced to ten men. Not saying the result would have been  any different but they would've  been better equipped  to do so. Therefore  he has in my opinion received a punishment  harsher than a yellow card. I've not argued with  Hutton's reaction  just pointed  out that  he went from lying on the deck prone to jumping to his feet.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #768 on: December 10, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
We were up in arms about Olsson and Hodgson over that incident as both claimed in interviews after the game that Herd had stamped on Olsson when he hadn't.

And the fact we played the best part  of an hour a man down  due to Olsson conning the ref. The interviews were  an added insult

« Reply #769 on: December 10, 2014, 08:36:25 PM »
Understand what you're saying QB.
My point is...Konchesky did what he did and his team were punished by his sending off.
For his actions he has been cleared.
That's the bit I don't get....bad tackle, deliberate and open provocation of an opponent...and the rule keepers say "That's fine."
Do we really want that happening every time a tackle is made/deemed a foul/or not?

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #770 on: December 10, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
Hutton is now on 4 yellows! another one against the Baggies and he misses the Manure game.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #771 on: December 10, 2014, 08:40:31 PM »
I did not think the FA overturned a refs decision if he saw something, even if he saw something differently to how it was.  Again, I thought they only acted if he did not see something.

Konchesky was dismissed for violent conduct and received nothing for the tackle.  So what was Hutton's yellow card for?  Being the victim of a nasty tackle!  So much for the FA supporting referees.  I think Hutton is now one booking away from a suspension because of this incident.

When is the FA going to overhaul the booking/sending off and post match review so that it is fit for purpose.  Players are getting away with bad fouls that have or could have led to injuries.  Players are being put out of matches through injury and little is being done about it.  Pushing is never going to injure a player and the days of it leading to a full scale punch up have long gone but these technical offenses are the ones being punished.  According to the current interpretation of the laws, Benteke should have been sent off but was the offense violent and possibly lead to injury when compared with a punch or elbow that could.

One of the things I would bring in tomorrow is if a referee misses and incident and this is caught on camera, the FA could then retrospectively give a yellow or red card.  This would reduce off the ball incidents and cut out cheating.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #772 on: December 10, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
I agree with  you. As far as i'm aware there isn't a facility where reds can be reduced to a yellow. There should be and i think it's also the same where a red for a second yellow can't be appealed either. Another ridiculous rule imo. Does anyone know what Konchesky's red card was  for? The foul? The confrontation  afterwards? Or a combination  of the two? For me the tackle was late and merited a yellow.

« Reply #773 on: December 10, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »
Agree pretty much with most of that old man.
As I agree with QB about the awarding of yellow cards for Konchesky and Hutton...but that didn't happen. Koncehesky will not receive any personal punishment for his part in the incident that he created, Hutton will.
Again similar to the Spuds game - Mason's head in Benteke's face (which caused the incident that led to both clubs being fined) receives no punishment (retrospective punishment would surely have worked here) but Benteke's reaction to it IS punished. There should be some common sense here, but there just isn't. Amazing that the law-makers/keepers can't sort it out. 

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #774 on: December 10, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
Does anyone know what Konchesky's red card was  for? The foul? The confrontation  afterwards? Or a combination  of the two? For me the tackle was late and merited a yellow.

An FA spokesman said it was for violent conduct

« Reply #775 on: December 10, 2014, 09:00:05 PM »
Does anyone know what Konchesky's red card was  for? The foul? The confrontation  afterwards? Or a combination  of the two? For me the tackle was late and merited a yellow.

Physically? Verbally?

In my live view of the incident I honestly thought that Konchesky had pushed his hand into Hutton's face - a la Benteke - and said to my mate "He's raised his hand to Hutton's face - he's gotta go."
As QB points out that isn't what happened at all. It was Hutton who did the pushing. So who made the call? The Ref? The 4th Official?
Why all the mystery surrounding such things.
Clear and simple announcements/explanations about decisions would help players, fans, refs.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #776 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
I heard somewhere that there is no UEFA/FIFA ruling that a yellow card can't be rescinded and that it's something that the FA have taken upon themselves to do. As far as I know there's no actual ruling to say that's the way it is.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #777 on: December 10, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »

Physically? Verbally?

In my live view of the incident I honestly thought that Konchesky had pushed his hand into Hutton's face - a la Benteke - and said to my mate "He's raised his hand to Hutton's face - he's gotta go."
As QB points out that isn't what happened at all. It was Hutton who did the pushing. So who made the call? The Ref? The 4th Official?
Why all the mystery surrounding such things.
Clear and simple announcements/explanations about decisions would help players, fans, refs.

mics on refs works perfectly in rugby and stops a lot of the 'angst' in the crowd for the controversial ones, I'd bring it in in football as well.  The argument is that football players would be incapable of not swearing at the ref and that would get picked up and broadcast but surely the respect campaign would back something that reduces the number of players who do that.  Aside from that, bring it in in Feb/March but just have it monitored without the open broadcast and, as above hand out fines etc before a full launch in the new season.  If it also reduced the number of instances where 4-5 players surround the ref then that's just a fringe benefit.

On this specific case I'd assumed it was because the ref (who was pretty close) had heard what he said, but I'm not sure now it's been overturned.  As for getting away with it, we play them in january if he gets a 4th yellow of the season the game before then I'd be a bit pissed off.  As for it balancing out because they had 10men for the last 10-15mins they should've been reduced to 10 a lot earlier, the more I see the tackle on Westwood the harder I find it to see how he only got a yellow, there's was no chance he could get the ball and every chance he'd hurt Westwood in the attempt.

QB I still think you're completely wrong about him feigning injury, there's nothing in it to suggest he's done anything like that, to me he was just in no rush to get up until he got called something at which point he reacted and jumped up.  If he'd been imploring at the ref or waving an imaginary card or rolling around like he'd been shot then I'd be with you but you can't assume that someone staying down for a few extra seconds it was 80minutes into the game, he probably just saw a chance for a rest for a few seconds.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #778 on: December 10, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »
Mics on referees in rugby work well because your average rugby crowd know the rules of the game very well, in a football crowd I doubt they'd work as well, just my opinion.

« Reply #779 on: December 10, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »
Mics on referees in rugby work well because your average rugby crowd know the rules of the game very well, in a football crowd I doubt they'd work as well, just my opinion.
Agree 100% JC - but also part of my overall point. Too much inconsistency in football refs - we're all told the new, tougher laws re 2 footed tackles, raising hands etc, but then some refs let these things go. So, we think we know the rules then the rules are not applied by the very people who are the keepers of the rules - and when some big deal is made of a decision we hear the outcomes, but not the reasons why. The FA (or whoever) are their own enemies by not making the whole thing clear and above board for the overall good of us all and the game in general.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal