collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 280345 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Alan Hutton - new three year contract signed
« Reply #750 on: December 10, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »
Bit unfair, to say the least. Hutton had gone down because he had been wiped-out by Konchesky. As I said earlier on, lunging in towards a stationary player player (especially one who is only likely to have one leg grounded to having just played the ball) is extremely reckless. There's no way on earth it was a dive and he was down for a matter of seconds before jumping-up to remonstrate with Konchesky. A perfectly natural reaction, in my opinion.

As others have pointed out, we're now in a situation where hutton has been yellow-carded for the incident and Konchesky has got away scott-free. Bizarre. As is the insinuation that Hutton somehow cheated.

Without wanting to get into a debate on both threads i've explained my view on it on the Clark thread. I never said he dived, I said he feigned injury. Completely different. The FA cannot rescind yellow cards and Konchesky missed the last 15 minutes of the game. His side reduced to ten men had therefore less of a chance of getting back into the game so he didn't get off 'scot free'.

I wouldn't say that diving and feigning injury are 'completely different at all'. They're both tantamount to attempts to con the referee into getting an opponent unduly punished. In this case, there was absolutely no need for Hutton to do so, as the tackle was there for all to see.

You can be hurt without being injured.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #751 on: December 10, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »
Was their any attempt to feign an injury though?  Watch it again, he clearly gets caught across the top of the foot and goes down face first then rolls over onto his back and about 2 seconds later is on his feet face-to-face with konchesky.  There was no rolling around or waving at the ref (or even looking at the ref).  Take Konchesky away and he probably (on the balance of his actions to that point) takes a few seconds to adjust his socks/boots and then gets up no harm done, some of you seem to be seeing something that just isn't there.

Offline supertom

« Reply #752 on: December 10, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
Was their any attempt to feign an injury though?  Watch it again, he clearly gets caught across the top of the foot and goes down face first then rolls over onto his back and about 2 seconds later is on his feet face-to-face with konchesky.  There was no rolling around or waving at the ref (or even looking at the ref).  Take Konchesky away and he probably (on the balance of his actions to that point) takes a few seconds to adjust his socks/boots and then gets up no harm done, some of you seem to be seeing something that just isn't there.
That was my memory of it too to be honest. Hutton doesn't seem remotely like that sort of player. That said, even if he was. I don't see the problem. Every club has players who cheat sometimes. It's pretty much part and parcel of the game. In fact we need to be a bit dirtier and a bit slyer at times. If you can't beat em, join em.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #753 on: December 10, 2014, 03:15:18 PM »
It's ridiculous to say it was feigning injury.  He got caught quite hard on the foot and it would have bloody hurt.  Just because it's not serious doesn't mean it's not a sharp pain.  Anyone who has played a contact sport would realise this.

As for getting up, the surge of adrenalin when someone lays into you like that would make it pretty easy to jump up, whether your foot is sore or not.  Having a go at Hutton for how he fell and clutched his foot seems pretty remarkable to me. 

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #754 on: December 10, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »

Suspect it was just suggesting Hutton was play acting a bit.  All hand bags really. 

I think he deserved at least a yellow for the combined challenge & mouthful he gave Hutton.  Nasty and unnecessary.

So you've gone from  this to saying it was ridiculous to suggest he was feigning injury?
Russell, agree that feigning injury and diving are both attempts to  con the referee but they are still different issues. Did no one else see that incident go off and think Hutton  is going  to  get sent off here?

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #755 on: December 10, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »
Did no one else see that incident go off and think Hutton  is going  to  get sent off here?

In all honesty, no. He didn't 'raise his hands' or aim a head at his opponent. I don't think shoving a player that has just fouled you has ever merited (or resulted in) a straight red-card.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #756 on: December 10, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »
It did flash across my mind that Hutton might get sent off when I saw him react.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #757 on: December 10, 2014, 03:54:39 PM »
He put his head into Konchesky and gave him a two handed shove in the chest. Not saying i think it merited a red, not saying it was a head butt either but players have been  sent off for shoving players in the chest and they have been sent off for sticking the head in. For me it was a yellow each way but once  Konchesky  had received the red i expected Hutton  to  cop one as well. Anyway, think we have done this to death now.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #758 on: December 10, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »

Suspect it was just suggesting Hutton was play acting a bit.  All hand bags really. 

I think he deserved at least a yellow for the combined challenge & mouthful he gave Hutton.  Nasty and unnecessary.

So you've gone from  this to saying it was ridiculous to suggest he was feigning injury?
Russell, agree that feigning injury and diving are both attempts to  con the referee but they are still different issues. Did no one else see that incident go off and think Hutton  is going  to  get sent off here?

You've misread me there.  I said I suspect the verbal abuse was just Konchesky accusing Hutton of play acting.  If you read it in context with the post above I think that is pretty clear?

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #759 on: December 10, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »
Play acting in what sense was he suggesting?

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #760 on: December 10, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »

FFS what do you think?  I couldn't hear him.  Could you?  The point is someone said they would have liked to have heard what Konchesky said to Hutton.  I speculated that he was probably accusing him of play acting.  Players do that sometimes, often when trying to play down a nasty challenge they've just made.  That doesn't mean I think Hutton was play acting.  I am truly convinced he was not - he'd just had a great clumsy fecker stamp on his foot and believe it or not that bloody hurts.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #761 on: December 10, 2014, 04:46:30 PM »

FFS what do you think?  I couldn't hear him.  Could you?  The point is someone said they would have liked to have heard what Konchesky said to Hutton.  I speculated that he was probably accusing him of play acting
I can't imagine that he was standing over a prone Hutton asking what his Christmas plans were or what he thought of Scottish devolution.

What you're suggesting would seem to me to be the obvious thing.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #762 on: December 10, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
Right. In summary.I said that Hutton was feigning injury. You said that was 'ridiculous'. I pulled up a quote where you said that Konchesky was accusing him of play acting. Another term for feigning injury. So 'FFS' does that answer it for you? Also 'ffs' at no point did i feel the need to  become a condescending  arse to get my point across Chrisw.
Merry Christmas.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #763 on: December 10, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »
Right. In summary.I said that Hutton was feigning injury. You said that was 'ridiculous'. I pulled up a quote where you said that Konchesky was accusing him of play acting. Another term for feigning injury. So 'FFS' does that answer it for you? Also 'ffs' at no point did i feel the need to  become a condescending  arse to get my point across Chrisw.
Merry Christmas.

So because Konchesky was probably accusing him of it that means he was?  It that really the point you were making?  Do you believe a player every time they put their hand up saying the other side put the ball into touch too?

Watch the challenge again and if you still think he was feigning injury then so be it.  For me, it looks like it would have hurt.  Also Hutton isn't really that type of player.  You have called one of our own players a cheat.  That is incredibly harsh and I think you are plain wrong.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #764 on: December 10, 2014, 07:56:07 PM »
In the heat of the moment we're all one eyed but after the game i will say it how i saw it. I couldn't give a toss who he plays for, in my opinion he made out he was injured only to dive to his feet when provoked verbally. You assumed Konchesky was accusing him of play acting. Why didn't  you  assume he'd given him a volley of "take that you #$@#$#" etc? Therefore i can't see how you can go on to suggest the notion of feigning injury is ridiculous. Call it gamesmanship whatever it's  dishonest. Olsson did it at Villa Park a few seasons back and got Herd sent off. We were  all up in arms about it then and i don't go along with if you can't beat them join em opinion. By the way i've played football for thirty years and if i've taken a whack bad enough to leave me lying on the turf then i'm not jumping up seconds later for a ruck. Anyone who has played a contact sport will tell you that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal