collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279983 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Alan Hutton - new three year contract signed
« Reply #570 on: September 16, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »
Hmmm, hes been superb this season but im not sure about offering a new deal four games in.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #571 on: September 16, 2014, 10:37:41 PM »
We were paying his wages whether he played or not? Let alone no involvement for two years. Now he'll still be on the same deal? None of it adds up. It would be nice to get an explanation.

How do you know its the same deal?

I would hazard a guess and say that Hutton has taken a pay cut in exchange for a longer contract.

Nice one Alan and the way you are playing. Deserved.

I agree. The guy clearly has his financial head screwed on and has been playing the long game.

Fair play to him. Following the turnaround in development strategy by the club his patience and commitment to staying fit has payed off.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #572 on: September 16, 2014, 10:42:38 PM »
The fact that Hutton has a new contract is somewhat surprising, but what's even more surprising is that he is playing well enough to justify the offer. Before this season, I was firm in my belief that he was one of the worst players I've ever seen at the Villa. Somebody said earlier that his conversion bordered on the supernatural, and the improvement is indeed impressive.

It is, but it is only four games.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #573 on: September 16, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »
I know what Lambert said, but as with all the bomb squad they were not producing for their wages,
He is the only one who has made it back to any great degree, And credit to him, he has proved me totally wrong and I dare say many of the management team as well

How are they meant to "produce" when they're not even being considered for selection?

And if we're going to start pointing at players who don't produce, that would have meant almost the entire squad after the McLeish year.

He's also not the only one to make it back. Given is the number two goalkeeper and Bent is available for selection and has featured this season.

Like I said, you going to offer them new contracts then ?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #574 on: September 16, 2014, 11:17:53 PM »
bonkers deal, fair play to Hutton but 12 month extension would have been more than sufficient.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #575 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »
bonkers deal, fair play to Hutton but 12 month extension would have been more than sufficient.

Which he would have probably turned down and gone somewhere else.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #576 on: September 16, 2014, 11:21:09 PM »
I know what Lambert said, but as with all the bomb squad they were not producing for their wages,
He is the only one who has made it back to any great degree, And credit to him, he has proved me totally wrong and I dare say many of the management team as well

How are they meant to "produce" when they're not even being considered for selection?

And if we're going to start pointing at players who don't produce, that would have meant almost the entire squad after the McLeish year.

He's also not the only one to make it back. Given is the number two goalkeeper and Bent is available for selection and has featured this season.

Like I said, you going to offer them new contracts then ?

I genuinely don't see the point you're trying to make, John.

They're not some sort of "bloc" who all need to get the same treatment, they're players who should be considered on their individual merits. Given is clearly not going to get one, given his age, for example.

However, if we decide, actually, we do want to use Hutton, then there is going to be a question over how we can go on using him, and seeing him perform well, and not offer him a new deal, and just let him walk away at the end of the season.

We've watched way too many players walk away for nothing over recent years. Maybe this is a move towards stopping that in the case of one of the players.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #577 on: September 16, 2014, 11:21:30 PM »
New contracts being signed/offered left, right and centre coupled with the signings and financial committments associated with Cleverley and Sanchez would suggest that something in the background has changed more dramatically than merely appointing a new ceo perhaps?

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #578 on: September 16, 2014, 11:23:11 PM »
New contracts being signed/offered left, right and centre coupled with the signings and financial committments associated with Cleverley and Sanchez would suggest that something in the background has changed more dramatically than merely appointing a new ceo perhaps?

I don't think so.

Let's not forget, we've just spent 7m in the summer transfer window. That's not the sign of an enormous investment in the club, nor is offering new contracts to our best players.

Online danno

« Reply #579 on: September 16, 2014, 11:38:10 PM »
Bit surprising but on reflection its money we'd have probably spent finding his replacement.

and there's certainly no guarantee we'd find better for the same amount of investment.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #580 on: September 16, 2014, 11:43:42 PM »

Hutton was given short shrift before they'd even played the first pre-season friendly.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #581 on: September 16, 2014, 11:45:18 PM »
The fact that Hutton has a new contract is somewhat surprising, but what's even more surprising is that he is playing well enough to justify the offer. Before this season, I was firm in my belief that he was one of the worst players I've ever seen at the Villa. Somebody said earlier that his conversion bordered on the supernatural, and the improvement is indeed impressive.

It is, but it is only four games.

He's a much better defender than either Lowton or Bacuna.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #582 on: September 16, 2014, 11:56:55 PM »

I don't think so.

Let's not forget, we've just spent 7m in the summer transfer window. That's not the sign of an enormous investment in the club, nor is offering new contracts to our best players.

True, but if we believe press reports that would have doubled had we signed cleverley permanently. Though offering ctracts ought to be a formailty/priority, there were signs that it wasnt previously. Perhaps it's just a relief then rather than a notably positive development, but it pleases me to see some activity behind the scenes at last.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #583 on: September 17, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »
We don't know the value of the deal. My guess would be that it is substantially lower than he was on before, and at a level that would have attracted other clubs.

Still, 4 games in is bloody quick.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #584 on: September 17, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »

Which he would have probably turned down and gone somewhere else.

and?

If we are to be anyway competitive as a football club we will need a better full back than the re-packaged Alan Hutton.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal