collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa fans disrespecting the poppy day silence  (Read 15848 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Villa fans disrespecting the poppy day silence
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »
I'm a little surprised there was even an observance of a minutes silence on the 2nd of November, next weekend is surely the most appropriate time to mark rememberance, every team home or away will have an opportunity to observe a minutes silence.  Maybe people just weren't expecting it.  There was no observance at Twickenham on Saturday for England v Australia.

That's what I was thinking too. Next Saturday and Sunday are the days for it just as it always has been. 

I agree. In a semblance of balance  I assume the Hammers were looking to choose the closest home game to 11 November to mark the event.

They won the world cup in 1966 so they probably think they won a couple of world wars too.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
I'm a little surprised there was even an observance of a minutes silence on the 2nd of November, next weekend is surely the most appropriate time to mark rememberance, every team home or away will have an opportunity to observe a minutes silence.  Maybe people just weren't expecting it.  There was no observance at Twickenham on Saturday for England v Australia.

That's what I was thinking too. Next Saturday and Sunday are the days for it just as it always has been. 

Why would there have been a silence at Twickers last Saturday when England have another home game next week ?

Whilst I agree that such things should be kept for the closest weekend ti Nov 11, I assume that each teams wants to have a remembrance at a home game.
West Ham don't have another home game until Nov 23rd, so it made sense for them to do their silence at the Villa game.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »
a season ticket holding West Ham friend of mine said it was because it was their nearest home game to the 11th Nov....

He said alot of the home support in the stand to our left of the away end said they were disgusted that the Villa did not observe the minutes silence, I put him right about that.......it came from the concourse and not the support already in the seats.
UTV
the Doc

** DAMN....just beat me to it you two....

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
Something very similar happened when we played at Craven Cottage in early Novermber a few years ago (2011?). Everyone was silent except for a few fans who were underneath the stand, unaware of the silence above. Half a dozen blokes singing makes a real noise when everyone else is silent.

Not for the first time, Sunny Villa is talking nonsense.

I was going to mention this - I think it was 2009 assuming it was the same match. It sounded awful under that hollow stand, yet there was no doubt that they, pissed as they were, meant no disrespect.

I've always thought that the silences are very well observed, even when it's for the other club's great and good. I can't believe it would have been deliberately flouted on Saturday.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »
I don't see why every club has to mark this occasion, only if they have a home game at the time. I do hope that these are not being introduced for fear of the club being criticised for a lack of aknowledgement following the recent accusations of "poppy fascism".

Laying of wreaths by club dignitaries is rather over the top as well. Surely this type of ceremony should be confined to services and events at memorial sites?

As ever with commemoration I believe less is more.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »
Just remember, every time Bono claps his hands, a child dies.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
I don't see why every club has to mark this occasion, only if they have a home game at the time. I do hope that these are not being introduced for fear of the club being criticised for a lack of aknowledgement following the recent accusations of "poppy fascism".

Laying of wreaths by club dignitaries is rather over the top as well. Surely this type of ceremony should be confined to services and events at memorial sites?

As ever with commemoration I believe less is more.

Quite correct Nec. On every single point.

9 days before is a little excessive. Not surprised some fans didn't know it was happening.
Rememberance Sunday and the actual 11th November itself is sufficient.

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
As an American, who visited Villa Park during a Poppy Day silence a few year ago, I must say I was utterly impressed with minute's worth of silence.  I never knew you could get 40,000-some people THAT quiet in a venue.  The only sound I heard was a baby crying from the opposite stand.

You could NEVER get a minutes worth of that much silence at an American event.  There's always some jackass hooting or hollering looking for some quick attention.  Or inevitably someone yelling out, "<insert scapegoat of the month>, YOU SUCK!".  And the very best, you'll get plenty of hushed murmurs or whispering going on.  At Villa Park, I probably could of heard a poppy drop.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
I've just read 5 pages of shit on this thread. Moaning about people having a beer at an away game! Get a fecking grip. Fans taking advantage of  free coaches.. the cheeky bastards.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2013, 03:55:46 PM »
I've just read 5 pages of shit on this thread. Moaning about people having a beer at an away game! Get a fecking grip. Fans taking advantage of  free coaches.. the cheeky bastards.

You could have stopped reading if you were that outraged.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »
Clampy. I wasn't outraged. I'm bemused by fellow Villa fans. Some of the moaning is beyond belief.

Online Clampy

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »
Clampy. I wasn't outraged. I'm bemused by fellow Villa fans. Some of the moaning is beyond belief.

What moaning bemused you the most out of interest?

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »
Fans having the audacity to go on free coaches and queuing for a beer are my favourite moans. I like moaning, I'm a brummie it's in my DNA but moan about our midfield.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »
Who has moaned about that?

Online Clampy

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »
Fans having the audacity to go on free coaches and queuing for a beer are my favourite moans. I like moaning, I'm a brummie it's in my DNA but moan about our midfield.

I think the point about the free coaches was because it can tend to attract the one's who can't take their drink. As for queuing for a beer, that was probably me. The point I was making was I couldn't understand why people who've paid in some cases £40 for a ticket choose to miss 10-15 mins of a match to queue for a pint. It wasn't a moan, just an observation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal