collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: That TV Programme And SGT's Last Stand With Ingerland - 20 Years On  (Read 11519 times)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: That TV Programme And SGT's Last Stand With Ingerland - 20 Years On
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »
I do believe the first recipient of the spiteful press among England managers was Bobby Robson. Didn't he threaten to quit over some tabloid allegation? Also, i seem to recall seeing a 'Robson Out' badge issued by one of the tabloids in an article about his tenure.

It's possible any manager taking the job at that time would have been coruscated for poor form, as I think there was such an old boy's network of skullduggery and spite, and when you couple it with a no-holds barred attitude which was taking sport onto the front pages and better print technology, but in particular, a naturally friendly and open fella such as SGT never stood a chance.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
I do believe the first recipient of the spiteful press among England managers was Bobby Robson. Didn't he threaten to quit over some tabloid allegation?

He'd had an affair a few years earlier and the tabloids dragged it all up again

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »
But you have to think much of it was down to the intense scrutiny partly caused because he wasn't the tabloids choice for England manager

Agree that he was treated like absolute shit by the media - as Robson was before him, prior to the "success" in Italia 90 - but wasn't Taylor the nailed on favourite for the England job as soon as Robson announced he was leaving in 1990?

IIRC it was between him and Howard Kendall who had recently come back from Spain and took over at Cit-eh. Neither Kendall or Venables applied so basically only one candidate. It was pre wilko's League title win

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »
Managers all around the world get stick from the media. I doubt many get it at the personal level we see over here at times though. There is a difference between having a go at a manager (which SGT deserved for his England time) and going down the personal abuse route, which no manager deserves.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »
I do believe the first recipient of the spiteful press among England managers was Bobby Robson. Didn't he threaten to quit over some tabloid allegation? Also, i seem to recall seeing a 'Robson Out' badge issued by one of the tabloids in an article about his tenure.

I remember in the run up to the 1990 World Cup - and in the group stage - England had some decidedly unimpressive results, and Robson got absolutely slaughtered in the press.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
I saw an article recently called top six tactical blunders.

It cited Gascoigne being dropped for Cowans, then went on to say
how as a consequence England got a decent 1-1 draw away to Ireland.

how can that be classed as a blunder?

Especially as Gasgoigne was clearly not fit to play. He may not have had a bad injury but he was in no position to play that day.

Besides Sid took John Barnes (injured)place and Steve McMahon took Gascoigne's place and the formation was tweaked.

This needs to be balanced. Rijkaard's goal in Rotterdam in the first half was wholly legitimate - he completely schooled Lee Sharpe to score.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »

I remember in the run up to the 1990 World Cup - and in the group stage - England had some decidedly unimpressive results, and Robson got absolutely slaughtered in the press.

Indeed. 1-2 at home to Uruguay and 1-1 away in Tunisia.

Prior to that in the winter / spring they had impressive wins v Yugoslavia (World in Motion video) and Brazil and a draw v very strong Italian side.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »
And here's a fact which illustrates that old Edison line about 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration: Sid was better, more consistently over the course of his entire career than Gazza. And won bigger prizes.

I put this to Sid once directly. I asked him how he felt about the media coverage of it, given he was a better player than Gascoigne, at which point he laughed at me and told me he wasn't fit to lace Gazza's boots.

I guess that's a measure of the class and humility of the man.

He was much less talented, but most are. He made far more of his talent than Gascoigne did, however, and was more consistent and effective over the course of his career. Yes, there are things Gazza did which neither Sid nor most players could dream of doing, but in between these moments there were huge, arid deserts of injury, unfitness and underperformance from Gazza - during which time, Sid quietly got on with being one of the best creative midfielders in Britain if not Europe. In any other country, Gazza and Sid would have formed the basis of the national team, and later on Paul Scholes, but we instead love Bryan Robson and Owen Hargreaves, apparently.

And yes, what he said there indeed reflects the class of the guy.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »

1986 was worse after the first 2 group games. The defeat to Portugal (in the days when they were considered shit) and the 0-0 with Morocco. Media and fans we giving absolute pelters to the team and manager. Flag burning after the Morocco game.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »

1986 was worse after the first 2 group games. The defeat to Portugal (in the days when they were considered shit) and the 0-0 with Morocco. Media and fans we giving absolute pelters to the team and manager. Flag burning after the Morocco game.

We got through by virtue of a Lineker hat trick in the final group game v Poland, with a 3-0 victory. On the morning of the game, Brian Glanville wrote in the Sunday Times that it was clear Lineker was not good enough for international football. They are a savvy lot those journalists.

Graham Taylor was always going to struggle by virtue of inheriting an ageing team after Italia 90 (which contained some very talented individuals), long term injuries to Shearer and Gascoigne and having almost no international football experience as player or manager. Further, most of his players had no experience of European football. He couldn't turn down the national team manager role, but it would have been brilliant if he had stayed with us.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »
But you have to think much of it was down to the intense scrutiny partly caused because he wasn't the tabloids choice for England manager

Agree that he was treated like absolute shit by the media - as Robson was before him, prior to the "success" in Italia 90 - but wasn't Taylor the nailed on favourite for the England job as soon as Robson announced he was leaving in 1990?

IIRC it was between him and Howard Kendall who had recently come back from Spain and took over at Cit-eh. Neither Kendall or Venables applied so basically only one candidate. It was pre wilko's League title win

Kendall was mentioned, along with Venables and Joe Royle, but as soon as it was announced Robson was leaving everyone knew it was SGT's job. He was in a TV studio during Italia '90 when they were doing an interview with Steve McMahon, who asked "Should I call you boss?".

Offline Damo70

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2013, 07:45:49 AM »

Indeed. 1-2 at home to Uruguay and 1-1 away in Tunisia.

Prior to that in the winter / spring they had impressive wins v Yugoslavia (World in Motion video) and Brazil and a draw v very strong Italian side.

If I remember right the 'Robson Out' badges, along with 'Clough in' badges were The Sun's idea after we failed to qualify for the '84 Euros. They popped up again at various times in future years. I think it was also The Sun who came up with 'In the name of Allah go now' after a friendly draw in Saudi Arabia. And a headline after we drew with Ireland in the opening game of Italia '90 saying 'Send them home'.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
The media treatment of him was a disgrace. Met him in the flight to Hamburg a few years ago and he is as he seems - an absolute gent.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
I've met him aswell at the NEC, top bloke.

Turns out I got it wrong anyway and Norway actually won the group, England were 3rd. Seems strange aswell looking at that table they were still using 2 points for a win in the 90s not that it made a difference.

Offline Fred

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
I am sure if we had Shearer we would have got to the USA. Some of the team for 1990 had gone and we did not have the players either.

The Sun had it in for him following 1992 and their treatment of a fine footballing man was a disgrace. I would sooner live with out news if that was the only paper you had to buy.

A friend of mine met him in 2006 and mentioned the Villa and he stopped and talked for 15 mins about the club and what the club meant to him. So apart from being a very good manager he is also a really nice man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal