collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Goldie.7
[Today at 05:16:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe Standing - Fan led consultation - online link - post #43  (Read 51337 times)

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
Re: Safe Standing - Fan led consultation - online link - post #43
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »
I am behind safe standing areas 100%. It will mean I can sit down without my view being obscured by some inconsiderate individual in front of me insisting on standing throughout the game in an area where they are legally obliged to be seated.

Agreed.  What I'd like to see, especially at away games, is dedicated seating areas.  I'm only short and have some health problems and standing for 90 minutes, without seeing a wretched thing without bobbing up and down, is an absolute pain in the backside.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2014, 11:03:43 PM »
Say what you like about West Ham fans but a bloke took his two small kids to the front in the second half of our recent game. The blokes who were there moved over and let them see the game.
That's better than knobheads standing in front of our disabled fans, in wheelchairs, at many of our games.
The Bullens Road Lower is ideal to convert back. It is still the old terrace with seats on top. The rake of the seats makes it difficult, especially at our corner, from seeing the game.
The whole issue has rarely been dealt with properly by clubs. Some stands, especially in upper tiers, have a good seated view. Others don't.
I agree with this initiative, providing they enforce sitting down in the remaining seats.
When amfy and I did the survey before the Spurs game, when we had the Safe-Standing mock-up, some of the first to approach us and lend full support were two elderly ladies who attend a fair few away games. They wanted safe-standing so that those who stand in front of them, and force them to stand up so they can see the game, can do so, and that the ladies in question can sit and still see the game. In many ways that gets to the heart of the issue - choice.
If you prefer to stand, you can - legally and safely. If you prefer to sit, you can, and still see the game without getting pi**ed off with your own supporters.
Standing in all-seated areas is "illegal" and a potentially dangerous situation. Fact.
(but as I like/want to stand, like most of us who go to away games, I always stand, "unsafely"! I am NOT a role model for those who aspire to be perfect fans!)   

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »
Link to article

Blimey, this is shocking: "The dead and injured were taken from the stand, with those who had perished lain along the touchline and covered in coats. A little under half an hour after leaving the pitch, the game was restarted, with a new sawdust lined touchline separating the players from the bodies. At the end of the first-half, the players immediately changed ends and started the second half. Stanley Matthews was on the Stoke team, and later said he was sickened that the game was allowed to continue."

Has the attitude to death changed over time or something? That's quite amazing given current attitudes.
Maybe it was because it was just after ww2 and not that long after ww1 that the loss of 33 lives wasn't as shocking back then as 96 were after hillsborough.

Still astounding that the game continued though.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #273 on: February 13, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
Fairly interesting printed debate on the issue between Alistair Campbell and Danny Kelly here

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »
I am behind safe standing areas 100%. It will mean I can sit down without my view being obscured by some inconsiderate individual in front of me insisting on standing throughout the game in an area where they are legally obliged to be seated.

Agreed.  What I'd like to see, especially at away games, is dedicated seating areas.  I'm only short and have some health problems and standing for 90 minutes, without seeing a wretched thing without bobbing up and down, is an absolute pain in the backside.

Is that what will happen though? Will those in seated areas suddenly convert to model fans who do as they are told?

Also, if we take Villa Park as an example how would you incorporate a safe standing area for away fans? I'm all for giving it a go but, at the majority of grounds, I don't think it is going to be straightforward to implement.

Offline Weedy

Offline NatP

« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »

Is that what will happen though? Will those in seated areas suddenly convert to model fans who do as they are told?

Also, if we take Villa Park as an example how would you incorporate a safe standing area for away fans? I'm all for giving it a go but, at the majority of grounds, I don't think it is going to be straightforward to implement.

Could they keep the current away area, with the lower tier standing and the upper tier seated? Probably easier said than done!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2014, 03:56:39 PM »
If you follow that one through though, Nat, the fans in the seats next to the standing area are going to have part of the pitch blocked out unless they stand too.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
If you follow that one through though, Nat, the fans in the seats next to the standing area are going to have part of the pitch blocked out unless they stand too.

The away fans there often stand anyway and doesn't seem to be a problem to the Villa fans next to them. Maybe that segregation tarp is wide enough that standing doesn't block the view?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »
I agree with that Patrick Whathisface. Sooner or later they'll be a serious accident in an away section. I've taken a few tumbles down the steps myself on a few occasions, whether it's from fans piling on you from behind or if you're stood in a 'seat' next to the isle and we score a goal. It got quite hairy at the Sty a few years ago after Gabby scored in The League Cup.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »
I remember our first visit to the new Leicester ground. The stands are very steep, not having formerly been terraces, and, with everyone standing there, you found yourself about two feet higher than the person in front. When we scored, they all pushed forward and it was difficult to stop ourselves from being pushed over. The new initiative has a lot of promise but will not work everywhere, unless the backs to the new style seats incorporate a high cross piece that prevents people being pushed over.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal