collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:17:35 AM]

Robin Olsen by Ads
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Lastfootstamper

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Ads
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Ads
[Today at 10:04:48 AM]

Ollie Watkins by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:42:08 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:17:35 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Ads

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Lastfootstamper

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:12:57 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Baldy
[Today at 10:11:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ads
[Today at 10:11:47 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Drummond
[Today at 10:11:23 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Ads
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Match of the Day Thread  (Read 45587 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: The Match of the Day Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
Completely glossed over on tonight's, but in a good way.

"Alan Shearer pointed out last night that it was definitely a penalty", and they moved on from there. Which is good, stops the incorrect version from becoming the story.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »
I was sure it was a pen at the time and Shearer simply confirmed it. You can't get the ball lunging from that angle without taking the man too.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »
I can't quite take this MOTD being complimentary to us, all a bit weird.  Luna's goal just get's better!

Online Dave

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »
I thought it wasn't on first sighting, but this is why I'm not a referee. Because I'd have been utterly wrong. 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 12:01:41 AM »
I was sure it was a pen at the time and Shearer simply confirmed it. You can't get the ball lunging from that angle without taking the man too.

This is the key for me.  Add to it the angles that both the ref and linesman have, where in both cases you can't be sure koscielney got anything on the ball and whilst it's one I'd say could go either way I think most people would've given it, in the refs position, with no definitive reason not to from the assistant.  I thought it looked a touch harsh at the time but I had a gooner here so I was trying very hard to be objective (I did lapse at one point when I called Wilshere a whiny little bitch).  I still think the 2nd yellow for koscielney is very harsh though, not because he'd already been booked (which should have no relevance on a 2nd booking anyway) but because it was nothing more than a bit clumsy, the mertesacker tackle on Benteke a few seconds later was far worse.

Online Dave

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 12:06:28 AM »
I still think the 2nd yellow for koscielney is very harsh though, not because he'd already been booked (which should have no relevance on a 2nd booking anyway) but because it was nothing more than a bit clumsy, the mertesacker tackle on Benteke a few seconds later was far worse.
I think it was given because of the impact it would have had on our movement rather than any amount of malice or danger. Had he not brought down Weimann then we had him and Benteke both running unchallenged at Mertesacker.

It's why I'm amazed that Vlaar didn't receive a second yellow, as his foul was very similar. Nothing more than clumsy, but in a position which prevented a very promising Arsenal attack.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:43 AM »
Koscielny also flicks up his non tackling foot just to make sure he gets some contact on Gabby - a bit like the sort of shitty thing I would have done playing for my dad's pub side 30 years ago. Just to let him know you're there like.
Penalty, on at least two counts, if not three!
Second yellow was harsh - did he actually make any contact with Weimann?
That bloke who does MOTD2 now seems a real Sky 4 tosser! (And I hated Colin FUCKIN' Murray!)
Just me?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
I can't quite take this MOTD being complimentary to us, all a bit weird.  Luna's goal just get's better!

I just watched it a couple more times.

I love Lambert. I like his philosophy, I know sometimes he's gung ho about things, and he is far from faultless, but it's really hard not to like a manager who sends out a team which scores goals like that third yesterday.

Luna is on the edge of our area, having blocked a shot, runs the length of the pitch and slots it home, when there are five minutes to go at the Emirates and we're winning and just need to play things safe.

Look at the way Lambert punched the air after, it's his team, alright.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
I think it was more because it was late but you might be right that it was given as a tactical foul.  I'd be pretty pissed off if that had been a Villa player.  All that said, it was a stupid challenge for a player on a yellow card to make, Vlaar's whilst similar contact was in a very different situation and would've been extremely harsh for me.

I think he was right to give the keeper yellow instead of red as well the scoring chance that would've come if he hadn't been fouled is pretty much the one we had anyway (in terms of the position to the goal), which was a very tough angle to score from., if gabby had a slightly more delicate touch he'd have gone but the ball was going quite wide.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25:10 AM »
.....and just sticking with the BBC, John Hartson was full of praise for us on Five Live's commentary of the game. As an ex Arsenal man you would have thought he'd have been just a little biased, but no - it was good to hear.

I listened to the game on Five Live and Hartson thought we were doing exactly the right thing by getting stuck in to Arsenal and not showing them respect or fear. He was also highly critical of how Arsenal and particularly Wilshere couldn't handle it. I loved Arsene's comments on how the ref didn't referee the game in the right spirit. Which translates as Arsenal are one of the big guns and nobody should be allowed to tackle them, especially at home on the first day of the season. I thought we looked far more mature and streetwise than last season.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2013, 12:26:39 AM »
I think it was more because it was late but you might be right that it was given as a tactical foul.  I'd be pretty pissed off if that had been a Villa player.  All that said, it was a stupid challenge for a player on a yellow card to make, Vlaar's whilst similar contact was in a very different situation and would've been extremely harsh for me.

I think he was right to give the keeper yellow instead of red as well the scoring chance that would've come if he hadn't been fouled is pretty much the one we had anyway (in terms of the position to the goal), which was a very tough angle to score from., if gabby had a slightly more delicate touch he'd have gone but the ball was going quite wide.
I don't honestly think most refs can take all this into account when they see what they do - they can only make a decision on what they see in a split second - and they do! Which is why they can get it wrong. (No excuses here!). I don't think they go on how delicate a player's touch is.
(Even though I wish Gabby's could be a bit more delicate at times!)

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:23 AM »

I just watched it a couple more times.

I love Lambert. I like his philosophy, I know sometimes he's gung ho about things, and he is far from faultless, but it's really hard not to like a manager who sends out a team which scores goals like that third yesterday.

Luna is on the edge of our area, having blocked a shot, runs the length of the pitch and slots it home, when there are five minutes to go at the Emirates and we're winning and just need to play things safe.

Look at the way Lambert punched the air after, it's his team, alright.

He really is great isn't he. We might fall flat on our arses again and struggle all season, but you know he will try and play it his way, which can only be positive.

I loved the way he got into Benteke's head to get him to stay, I am always impressed with his ability to find very cheap footballers that should have cost significantly more when you look at their ability but the mentality he has fought to get into this side is brilliant. Lets hope it continues for a long time to come.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 12:46:25 AM »

Vlaar had pulled away from the challenge and the bloke fell into his legs as he was already diving over it. So would have been harsh as there was no way to get out of the way. Koscienly was just reckless, and only made no contact due to Weimann taking (very) evasive action!

Re the getting stuck in, first thing I said to my old man after the game yesterday was how much we were willing to put elbows, knees, bodies etc in the way of man and ball, and really get under the skin of Arsenal, which Wilshire in particular really hated. We were niggly, and hard, and generally not enjoyable to play. That is exactly how I have wanted us to be for a long, long time. The soft underbelly seems to be hardening off a bit.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 02:38:32 AM »
That clunk in off the post by Luna was very satisfying. Sexiest bit of woodwork-wellying since Staunton's screamer off the stanchion at Old Trafford all those years ago.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 05:31:57 AM »
Had to laugh was on Twitter and savage was saying MOTD got it wrong and it wasn't a pen and he'd made a career of tackling? What he was a big fairy I just said to him that he was only saying it because he was a nose and I remember when ref tackled him by punching him in the face, something we'd all like to do I'm sure you'd agree :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal