collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa All-in-one Thread (Match #272) (Post-match #993)  (Read 232550 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa All-in-one Thread (Match #272) (Post-match #993)
« Reply #1440 on: August 19, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
Arsenal should really change their motto to whatever the latin is for "someone else's fault".

I loathe the way Stoke play(ed), but the way Wenger would moan about it every time was vomit inducing - other clubs do not have a duty to play in a way that makes things easy for Arsenal.

His reaction after the game on Saturday, banging on about the ref, was pathetic and predictable. It is never, ever his fault is it?

Their fans are the same, looking at some of the stuff on twitter and they were moaning on about a cynical fouling side targetting certain of their players.

What a load of bollocks.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1441 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
The two worst decisions in the game were their keeper not getting sent off and Tony Moon for some reason getting booked.

Having now seen the challenge a couple of times, all I can think is that Luna must have been booked for "looking at an opposition player a bit funny". What else could he have done wrong ?

Offline eastie

« Reply #1442 on: August 19, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »
Funny how arsene  only sees decisions clearly when they against the arsenal - when he gets dodgy decisions in his favour he claims not to have seen the incident - bad loser which makes winning against them even sweeter.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1443 on: August 19, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »
The two worst decisions in the game were their keeper not getting sent off and Tony Moon for some reason getting booked.

Having now seen the challenge a couple of times, all I can think is that Luna must have been booked for "looking at an opposition player a bit funny". What else could he have done wrong ?

I've not seen the Luna one since it happened but it did look a bit odd at the time.

Offline eastie

« Reply #1444 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »

I've not seen the Luna one since it happened but it did look a bit odd at the time.

50/50 ball , good honest commitment from both players , not a foul or a booking in my opinion .

Offline supertom

« Reply #1445 on: August 19, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
Funny how arsene  only sees decisions clearly when they against the arsenal - when he gets dodgy decisions in his favour he claims not to have seen the incident - bad loser which makes winning against them even sweeter.
Yep. Arsene is the maestro of moaning. Even Ferguson in his later years could begrudgingly admit sometimes that a decision against his side was actually correct.

I don't think Wenger will last the season, and I think he may walk before he's pushed. If they don't make 3 signings of significant quality the fans will have no patience. The Emirates, when you get among Arsenal is a good place to play. The fans get restless pretty quick. It's not like Highbury where it was quite a tight space, and you could get a very hostile atmos for the visiting team. It's very corporate now. It's a nice, big stadium, but it's not imposing any more.

They have to be doing very well in a game to keep the fans giving it all at the Emirates.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #1446 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »
Where was all this aggressive Stoke-like bullying tactics that I'm hearing Arsenal fans bleat about?

They were just as rough with their tackling as we were. They also gave away two penalties and had a man sent off. Arsenal as fans and the club in general have one of the most blinkered views on referee parity in matches. They simply expect every decision to go their way.

Looking at it again, I agree with Shearer (very weird typing that) that the first penalty would have been a harsh sending off, as gabby took the ball away from the goal, so not a clear goalscoring chance.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1447 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »

50/50 ball , good honest commitment from both players , not a foul or a booking in my opinion .

I agree totally that there was no foul there and I thought at the time that Luna got the worse of it, but the rumour is that chamberlain has done some pretty hefty damage to his knee ligaments and is out for most of the season - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-star-oxlade-chamberlains-knee-injury-2183784

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1448 on: August 19, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
Where was all this aggressive Stoke-like bullying tactics that I'm hearing Arsenal fans bleat about?

They were just as rough with their tackling as we were. They also gave away two penalties and had a man sent off. Arsenal as fans and the club in general have one of the most blinkered views on referee parity in matches. They simply expect every decision to go their way.

Looking at it again, I agree with Shearer (very weird typing that) that the first penalty would have been a harsh sending off, as gabby took the ball away from the goal, so not a clear goalscoring chance.

I agree, I think the 2 genuinely poor decisions were the koscielney 2nd yellow and the Luna yellow, so 1 each that balnace each other out.  The gooner in the office here is firmly of the opinion that the ref was totally biased and gave every 50/50 our way.  He's also moaning that we were allowed to play on a number of times but they were called back for everything.  I've watched it twice and have no idea how he thinks that.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1449 on: August 19, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »

I agree, I think the 2 genuinely poor decisions were the koscielney 2nd yellow and the Luna yellow, so 1 each that balnace each other out.  The gooner in the office here is firmly of the opinion that the ref was totally biased and gave every 50/50 our way.  He's also moaning that we were allowed to play on a number of times but they were called back for everything.  I've watched it twice and have no idea how he thinks that.

I'm not sure how he thought the ref was biased when we had about 6 players booked.

Offline eastie

« Reply #1450 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »

I must admit having sent off the arsenal lad i expected to see Vlaar get a 2nd yellow for his foul just outside the box - i was relieved to see him survive.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1451 on: August 19, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
Not even 50/50. Watch it again. Luna was there a couple of weeks before  O-C slid in. I don't think it was "good honest" from his side.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1452 on: August 19, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
Arsenal should really change their motto to whatever the latin is for "someone else's fault".

It appears to be quite a snappy motto

"mendum of alius"

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1453 on: August 19, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
I think it was  the correct decision to NOT dismiss their keeper.  Keepers are in a difficult position in the  one on one situations. They have to put their body, hands and legs in the way to make it as difficult as possible for the forward and result is usually a penalty.  The award of penalty is enough. In our case the ref played the advantage and after Weimann missed he pulled the play back for the free kick. Great decisions in that little scenario.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1454 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
I think the 2 genuinely poor decisions were the koscielney 2nd yellow and the Luna yellow, so 1 each that balnace each other out. 

The ref was probably right to give Laurent Koscielny a second yellow. He was completely out of control in  the tackle. The only reason that there was little or no contact was because Andi had to leap in the air to avoid the worst of the collision.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal