collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa All-in-one Thread (Match #272) (Post-match #993)  (Read 231660 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa All-in-one Thread (Match #272) (Post-match #993)
« Reply #1455 on: August 19, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »
Where was all this aggressive Stoke-like bullying tactics that I'm hearing Arsenal fans bleat about?

They were just as rough with their tackling as we were. They also gave away two penalties and had a man sent off. Arsenal as fans and the club in general have one of the most blinkered views on referee parity in matches. They simply expect every decision to go their way.

The two worst decisions in the game were their keeper not getting sent off and Tony Moon for some reason getting booked.
Looking at it again, I agree with Shearer (very weird typing that) that the first penalty would have been a harsh sending off, as gabby took the ball away from the goal, so not a clear goalscoring chance.

See, I don't get that line of thinking at all.

He was pretty central and going wide to get round their keeper, but would still have been in with a chance of scoring.  This is evidenced be the fact Weimann followed up and got the chance on goal Gabby was denied by the foul.  So it was a goal scoring opportunity, just a bit wider than where the foul happened, so he should have walked. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:19:01 PM by Concrete John »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #1456 on: August 19, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
We were in the Che pub with Arsenal fans after the game and they were pretty fair. They were very critical of Wenger - they still see themselves as on a par with Man U, City and Chelsea despite recent evidence - and his transfer policy, they thought the ref was poor but they also generally felt that we deserved to win the game. None of them were bitter towards us nor accusing us of clogging.

Most consistent praise from them came for "your bloke with the blue boots" which I assume was Delph. Interesting that literally all of them did not know him by name.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1457 on: August 19, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
We were in the Che pub with Arsenal fans after the game and they were pretty fair. They were very critical of Wenger - they still see themselves as on a par with Man U, City and Chelsea despite recent evidence - and his transfer policy, they thought the ref was poor but they also generally felt that we deserved to win the game. None of them were bitter towards us nor accusing us of clogging.

Most consistent praise from them came for "your bloke with the blue boots" which I assume was Delph. Interesting that literally all of them did not know him by name.

i think they will shortly  :D

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #1458 on: August 19, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »
I think the 2 genuinely poor decisions were the koscielney 2nd yellow and the Luna yellow, so 1 each that balnace each other out. 

The ref was probably right to give Laurent Koscielny a second yellow. He was completely out of control in  the tackle. The only reason that there was little or no contact was because Andi had to leap in the air to avoid the worst of the collision.

Agree - it was a very very daft challenge at best. Especially given the state of the match and the position of both players at the time on the pitch.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1459 on: August 19, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »
The only questionable decisions for me were not sending their keeper off, not giving Vlaar a second yellow and Luna getting booked for the Oxlade-Chamberlain clash. So when it comes to crucial decisions we both had one let off.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1460 on: August 19, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
The only questionable decisions for me were not sending their keeper off, not giving Vlaar a second yellow and Luna getting booked for the Oxlade-Chamberlain clash. So when it comes to crucial decisions we both had one let off.
I'd agree with that - the other one that I would add is that he shouldn't have played any advantage following the second yellow card.

If something happens which is going to result in a red card, you're supposed to stop play immediately rather than seeing what develops. To be fair he did stop it pretty quickly afterwards when it seemed that Benteke wasn't going to get through on goal, but if Benteke had got clear and then Koscielney got back to say, clear the ball off the line then the referee would have had some pretty awkward questions to deal with.

Offline eastie

« Reply #1461 on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Looks like our win has convinced arsene  to spend -

http://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan/status/369458983095918593/photo/1
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:17:36 PM by eastie »

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #1462 on: August 19, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »

Great piece of youtubemanship from the Arsenal end behind Villa of Tony Moon' goal

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1463 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:18 PM »
Looks like our win has convinced arsene  to spend -

http://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan/status/369458983095918593/photo/1
I am afraid not. I was there and Wenger walked away as the assistant said croissant at £1.99 was just a heat up clause. If he wanted to buys and  eat  it it would be £2.59!

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1464 on: August 19, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »

Great piece of youtubemanship from the Arsenal end behind Villa of Tony Moon' goal

Some nearby Villa fan shouts "Go on Andi" when Tony breaks.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #1465 on: August 20, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »
I think the 2 genuinely poor decisions were the koscielney 2nd yellow and the Luna yellow, so 1 each that balnace each other out. 

The ref was probably right to give Laurent Koscielny a second yellow. He was completely out of control in  the tackle. The only reason that there was little or no contact was because Andi had to leap in the air to avoid the worst of the collision.

Agree - it was a very very daft challenge at best. Especially given the state of the match and the position of both players at the time on the pitch.

Agree with this too. I was slightly surprised with the commentators giving Torres some stick Sunday. Saying the ref got duped. Torres leapt into the air but if he hasn't he would have run straight into the Hull players knee. Just because there wasn't contact because the player jumped out the way, doesn't mean it isn't a foul.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal