collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dan Crowley  (Read 48521 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Dan Crowley
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
I want to know when we are going to sign the next Carlton Palmer. 

Surprise Surprise!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
He was a class apart of any of the players during our recent game at Arsenal.

Daft comparing him with Westwood, Wilshere has the potential to be the best midfielder England have produced since Scholes.

Paul Scholes, was never a midfielder in the Wilshire role though. Scholes was a deep lying, forward thinking footballer, who got better, and better and better with age and experience. Wilshire is more of a proper midfielder, which England tried to unimaginatively use Scholes as.

He is a talented boy, but not as good as the hype. He might be a bit too much of a complete player which sounds strange, but his doesn't have a niche. Platt and Lampard scored goals. Gerrard overhits passes and finds divine inspiration from time to time. Ince would battle. Barry would allow Germans with no pace run past him like Usian Bolt taking on Johny Vegas. I am not sure what Wilshire is best at yet. Knitting it all together maybe, but I would like to see him in a side like Barcelona. It would do him a lot of good to go somewhere like that.

But Barcelona are unique, there is no "somewhere like that".

I think he is slightly over-hyped but a very good player nonetheless.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »
Put it this way if Dan Crowley is that good we need to hold on to him.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
I like Westwood a lot, but Wilshire has mixed it with Europes best and hasn't looked out of place, and has suffered a couple of serious injuries.

Is the correct answer.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
He was a class apart of any of the players during our recent game at Arsenal.

Daft comparing him with Westwood, Wilshere has the potential to be the best midfielder England have produced since Scholes.

Paul Scholes, was never a midfielder in the Wilshire role though. Scholes was a deep lying, forward thinking footballer, who got better, and better and better with age and experience. Wilshire is more of a proper midfielder, which England tried to unimaginatively use Scholes as.

He is a talented boy, but not as good as the hype. He might be a bit too much of a complete player which sounds strange, but his doesn't have a niche. Platt and Lampard scored goals. Gerrard overhits passes and finds divine inspiration from time to time. Ince would battle. Barry would allow Germans with no pace run past him like Usian Bolt taking on Johny Vegas. I am not sure what Wilshire is best at yet. Knitting it all together maybe, but I would like to see him in a side like Barcelona. It would do him a lot of good to go somewhere like that.

But Barcelona are unique, there is no "somewhere like that".

I think he is slightly over-hyped but a very good player nonetheless.

He can accelaerate past players in midfield and consequently open the game up. A rare skill... similar to Gascoigne. It's a shame he's lost 18 months of his career but he can still become a really great player.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »
I find it difficult to take this title "new Jack Wilshere" seriously. Sorry but Wilshere has doe nothing and achieved f all to be considered as some sort of  idol!

You obviously didn't see him play for England against Brazil, or you'd know better.

One game and a friendly at that? I agree with the original post. Yes, he may be all that but as yet he has not done or achieved enough to have such hype attached to him. Do you think if he played for Villa the hype would be anywhere near as great as it has been?

Ahh...he doesn't play for Villa, so must be over-hyped, shit, etc. Got it.

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »
Ashley Westwood is nowhere near as good as Jack Wilshere.

Also, Dan Crowley is highly rated by England staff/fans.

Here is a video of him playing only the other day. He is the number 10

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »
He looks pretty good.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
He does look a bloody player.

I can see the comparison with Wilshere. Wilshere is in the Iniesta mould where if you get too tight he will glide past you and if you stand off him he will pick a pass. The assist was a great pass and watching him glide past the opposition there does remind me of him.

For those who don't rate Wilshere, I really don't understand. He is the stand out player in his generation by a mile for me. He could play for Barcelona.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
I want to know when we are going to sign the next Carlton Palmer.

I still haven't got over our failure to sign the last one.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »
You see, I don't rate Wilshire that highly. Decent player with lots of bits of attributes you associate with a top midfielder. He just doesn't stand out at any for me.

He might learn. He might get better. He may really excel in some disciplines but, for the minute, I think he is overhyped.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »
Going by that clip it looks like he plays off the main striker, has very talented feet and a low centre of balance. The sort of player we could do with in the first team. Of course there's a long way to go between U17 football and first team football and we've seen a lot of talented players not make it so there's a way to go yet.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »
You see, I don't rate Wilshire that highly. Decent player with lots of bits of attributes you associate with a top midfielder. He just doesn't stand out at any for me.

He might learn. He might get better. He may really excel in some disciplines but, for the minute, I think he is overhyped.

That's more or less my take on him as well.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »
He does look a bloody player.

I can see the comparison with Wilshere. Wilshere is in the Iniesta mould where if you get too tight he will glide past you and if you stand off him he will pick a pass. The assist was a great pass and watching him glide past the opposition there does remind me of him.

For those who don't rate Wilshere, I really don't understand. He is the stand out player in his generation by a mile for me. He could play for Barcelona.

On what are you basing an assertion that he's the stand out player of his generation?  I know statistics don't say everything, but 86% pass accuracy is barely higher than Bannan, 4 assists and 2 goals in 24 matches is decent but nothing special, Westwood has 3 assists in 22 having stepped up from league 1 rather than being 'the best player of his generation' his key passes are about 2.2 which is decent but Bannan is 1.4 in a struggling side, so it's not exceptional in the slightest.

This is what I mean, people like to say how great he is but he's just not 'YET'.  In a couple of years he may make the step up from potential to proven quality but at the moment people see flashes of brilliance from him and ignore the rest of the time where he's ineffective.

As for he could play for Barca, I'm afraid that's nonsense.  Fabregas can't get into their central midfield and he's a long way ahead of Wilshere.  In fact I'd say Thiago is a better player and he's only played about 25 games so far.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
It's what Arsenal do. 

Generally there's not many players that come directly through their ranks from 10-12+

They just cherry pick the better players from other sides from home and abroad, and offer the family of the player involved incentives (not bribes, not bribes at all).

I was told by a colleague at work about Wenger directly tapping him up a month or more ago.

The person who told me said her friend had a lad who was a 'good footballer' and his family had been invited (and went) to Wengers house to chat about their son playing for Arsenal.  She told me his name (Crowley). 

It was interesting because she didn't know anything about football and wasn't making any comment other than how good this kid was compared with his mates.  She didn't know much about him other than she thought he might be on Villa's books.  In other words she wsasn't bullshitting or or trying to big up a story.

Anyhow, I was amazed how clubs are able to get away with this sort of thing. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal