collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Smirker
[Today at 04:41:31 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by AV84
[Today at 04:40:53 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Mellin
[Today at 04:40:36 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV84
[Today at 04:40:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 04:39:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 04:38:17 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Jane
[Today at 04:37:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 04:37:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who Stays and Who goes  (Read 30456 times)

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: Who Stays and Who goes
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »
a little birdie told me that Fergie wants Guzan. I hope not.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »
I'm a bit surprised the OP thinks we'll be offering any new signings 50k or 60k a week.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
Yep, unless there's stupid money offered (which Villa don't do at the moment), there's no reason for Weimann to commit to Villa until safety is certain.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »
I don't want to start a Summer Transfers Rumours Thread, as it seems a little like tempting fate, when our position in the League is far from guaranteed. In fact this thread goes fairly close as well. But I did just read the following rumours on F365 and thought this would be the best place to post:

SINCLAIR IN, WEIMANN OUT
That's Scott Sinclair, who is apparently a summer target for Aston Villa - if they stay in the Premier League - after his move to Manchester City somehow failed to work out. Who would ever have predicted that he would fail to establish himself at the Premier League champions and would play only a handful of games. Everton are also interested in Sinclair.

Unfortunately leaving Villa may be Andreas Weimann, whose talks about a new deal with Aston Villa have stalled, according to the Daily Mail. Norwich are said to be interested, but we have to say that we think he could do better.

I think Sinclair would be a great buy, but you would have to imagine he is on big money at City. Maybe a season long loan.

Surely we can offer a Weimann a contract good enough to fend off interest from the likes of Norwich. But if someone bigger shows genuine interest, he might be off.

Seems like lazy journalism, this.

I notice that Charles is on a few lists above as a 'stayer'. I'd offload him, partly 'cos he's been so flaky, and parlty 'cos he's probably on big wages.

The close-season should be about pulling together as much of our resources as possible to buy some genuine defensive and CMF talent. Target the high earners and either sell them or get them out on loan (even saving £10k a week each on Given and Ireland's wages has to be worth doing). Offload the 'not-quite-good-enoughs' and pool the resulting wages for better individuals.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
a little birdie told me that Fergie wants Guzan. I hope not.

That really wouldn't surprise me, he's certainly good enough and still young enough to improve. Whether he'd go straight in the team depends if De Gea goes back to Spain and I can't see anybody coughing up anything near the £18.9m Fergiescum paid for him.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »
I notice that Charles is on a few lists above as a 'stayer'. I'd offload him, partly 'cos he's been so flaky, and parlty 'cos he's probably on big wages.

The close-season should be about pulling together as much of our resources as possible to buy some genuine defensive and CMF talent. Target the high earners and either sell them or get them out on loan (even saving £10k a week each on Given and Ireland's wages has to be worth doing). Offload the 'not-quite-good-enoughs' and pool the resulting wages for better individuals.

Although he was on my 'stay list', I do agree on N'Zogbia.  If the right offer comes in I'd take it as you just can't be confident his recent form will continue.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2013, 08:32:52 PM »
I wouldn't mind Zog staying, at the same time I wouldn't be gutted if he left.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:12 PM »
De Gea has stepped up enough for Fergie not to look elsewhere.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »
I wouldn't mind Zog staying, at the same time I wouldn't be gutted if he left.

If him going meant that we could bring in a real quality attacking midfielder or wide attacker then I wouldn't be too bothered about him leaving. 

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »
Begovic will be Old Trafford bound this summer. That's why Stoke signed Butland.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:46 AM »
I think Guzan, Weimann and Benteke will be under an immense amount of scouting right now. Arsenal could do a lot worse than banging 35 million in for the 3 of them. Which we should reject hands down of course, but they are on the rise. The key for Villa is adding a Sinclair, a Lescott, a midfielder, a full back etc to the mix that can be on their level that make them want to stay.

Even with the 12 months on his deal, I would expect 8-10 million for Weimann, over 25 for Benteke and 10 for Guzan. All 3 are exceptional, and all 3 should be fought to be kept.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54:06 AM »
All three of then should be with us next year. With Benteke and Guzan early in their contracts we'd be safe enough expecting them for at least a further year. Weimann should be offered a better deal and I am sure would sign it in the knowledge that he needs regular first team football more than money.

It would certainly be with talking to Guzan and Benteke about new deals. If it all came off that would soak up the savings from the out of contract players. Which shouldn't be a problem.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 12:55:08 AM »
I'd offer all 3 new deals in the summer when we stay up. And add in a shit load of bonus clauses as well.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2013, 01:20:05 AM »
If we can go into next season with all three - which we should do - the addition of two fullbacks capable of challenging Lowton and Bennett off the team sheet, a centre half of reasonable experience and proven quality together with a midfielder of similar quality, say, to Coutinho would be excellent. We could really take off next year if the summer dealings go well.

We still have a real problem with the number of players we have who do not make enough contribution or none at all.

We should look to sell as many of Given, Hutton, Stevens, Ireland, Holman, Makoun, Albrighton, Delfouneso, NZogbia and Bent as can be found buyers for as well as say goodbye to Lichaj and Dunne at the end of their contracts.

It's a bit of a shame with Albrighton, Delfuoneso and Lichaj, but they'd be wasting their time staying here.

I'd even offer Ireland 75% of the remaining year of his contract just to fuck off into the blue yonder.

Marshall is also at the end of his contract, but assuming we could sell Given, I'd offer him a new one as long as he's prepared to be 2nd or 3rd choice for horseshit.

On top of the 4 players we definitely need, we ought to be in for more Lowton/Westwood type signings to provide options in other outfield positions, depending on how many players we ship out and who.

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:15 AM »
If we can go into next season with all three - which we should do - the addition of two fullbacks capable of challenging Lowton and Bennett off the team sheet, a centre half of reasonable experience and proven quality together with a midfielder of similar quality, say, to Coutinho would be excellent. We could really take off next year if the summer dealings go well.

We still have a real problem with the number of players we have who do not make enough contribution or none at all.

We should look to sell as many of Given, Hutton, Stevens, Ireland, Holman, Makoun, Albrighton, Delfouneso, NZogbia and Bent as can be found buyers for as well as say goodbye to Lichaj and Dunne at the end of their contracts.

It's a bit of a shame with Albrighton, Delfuoneso and Lichaj, but they'd be wasting their time staying here.

I'd even offer Ireland 75% of the remaining year of his contract just to fuck off into the blue yonder.

Marshall is also at the end of his contract, but assuming we could sell Given, I'd offer him a new one as long as he's prepared to be 2nd or 3rd choice for horseshit.

On top of the 4 players we definitely need, we ought to be in for more Lowton/Westwood type signings to provide options in other outfield positions, depending on how many players we ship out and who.

I'd like to see Holman given another year and, if possible, makoun back for a season.  Apart from that, I agree with your clear out...assuming brad, weimann and benteke all stay.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal