collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:11:12 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:58:43 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Champions League Contention by Chris Harte
[Today at 01:28:50 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Ollie Watkins by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:14:04 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:08:54 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who Stays and Who goes  (Read 30444 times)

Offline DrGonzo

Re: Who Stays and Who goes
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
Would we need a back up GK? I know Siegrest is very highly rated and Marshall has experience if necessary

It's time to see if Siegrest can step up I would have thought.

Brilliant! In a season where most fans have been cursing the manager, owner and the Gods themselves for having to rely on young untested players the answer to replacing the over paid Given? 

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »
Would we need a back up GK? I know Siegrest is very highly rated and Marshall has experience if necessary

Brilliant! In a season where most fans have been cursing the manager, owner and the Gods themselves for having to rely on young untested players the answer to replacing the over paid Given? 

I don't know, that's the point, but how are we going to find out if we don't give him a chance?  And as has been stated we also have Marshal.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »

I don't know, that's the point, but how are we going to find out if we don't give him a chance?  And as has been stated we also have Marshal.

Sorry mate, not particularly disagreeing with you.  I'm all for giving youth a chance, look at my posts for this season and never have I savaged our team for their lack of experience.  If Guzan had had more of a chance under Friedel we might not have spunked so much cash on Given.  It was just the irony of the statement that made me chuckle.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »
We need to get Siegrest out on loan, similarly to what citeh did with hart. It's the only way to be anywhere near sure. I'm assuming we've a line of goalkeepers who would all then step up a level/age group. Could, COULD, then get us to having two relatively young, cheap and valuable keepers vying for the number one shirt. Means hanging on to Given for now. If he should not want to stay, though, I don't think we should stand in his way should an all-round acceptable offer come in. Then that'd be something to address regarding back-up. Maybe there'd be somebody to get from beyond our shores at a reasonable price.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »
I think Ireland, Given, Bent, Dunne, Petrov, Hutton and Albrighton should all be off the wage bill come the end of the summer. Adding to Warnock who has gone already.

That gives us a huge scope for getting 4 quality players into this squad, a centre half, a left back, a destroyer in the centre of the pitch and a tricky forward player. All in, we would be much stronger. I would keep Dawkins too.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 11:42:57 PM »
We need two new centre halfs imo, Dunne will leave and Baker and Vlaar are made of glass.

I'd let go of Bannan aswell to the usual lists, just don't think he's good enough.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »
You are right, but the 2nd centre half would be fine to be a cheap big young championship one, or even a free like Williamson from Newcastle may be.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 12:46:52 AM »
I think Ireland, Given, Bent, Dunne, Petrov, Hutton and Albrighton should all be off the wage bill come the end of the summer. Adding to Warnock who has gone already.

That gives us a huge scope for getting 4 quality players into this squad, a centre half, a left back, a destroyer in the centre of the pitch and a tricky forward player. All in, we would be much stronger. I would keep Dawkins too.

Do we need a new kit man?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:54:51 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »
I was thinking of starting a similar thread, but thought it may be a bit too soon.  However, now that someone else has started it, here goes:-

The key for me is buying as few players as possible.  That way, we can concentrate the funds we have available on experience and/or quality, which, when mixed with our better young players, should make for a pretty useful side.

If we continue with the present 4-3-3 as our primary formation, and look to have two players for every position, plus 3 keepers, then you get the following:-

Keepers - Guzan as no 1, obviously.  Given goes as he's too expensive when not playing, although this may need to be on loan.  That leaves Seigrist and Marshall, to I'd say also let Marshall go and bring in someone in their mid 20s from the lower leagues as the experienced back up, which I trust Lambert to do.

Defence - CB is the easiest to decide upon as Dunne gets released and we bring an experienced player in, which leaves him and Vlaar as 1st choices and Baker and Clark the back up.  The FBs are more difficult, as both Lowton and Bennett have shown potential, but the back up does look poor.  Do we bring it experience, thereby pushing them be the reserves, or do we persevere and get cheaper back up upgrades?  Hutton is a goner. 

Midfield - Sylla, Westwood and Delph would be my three right now.  In order to improve, we get a strong, quality and experienced CM (basically an actual replacement for Petrov) and let them fight it out for the other two places.  KEA stays and so does Bannan, as that means we can concentrate funds here on one player, thereby uping the quality we bring in.  Ireland can go to anyone mental enough to pay him to not be bothered if he plays football or not.

I'm not sure whether we class Holman as a midfielder or forward?  However, I'd keep him as long as he's OK with not being a regular.

Attack - Weimann, Gabby and Benteke are a good and versatile trio, as I feel Both the wide players could play centrally if we needed them to.  Happy for N'Zogbia to stay, given recent form, and Bowery should be given more time and fits in as the 6th option for those 3 places.  So that leaves 1 slot, where we need a good wide attacker, who could also play behind the striker, as Charlie does.  I can see that being an overseas signing and let's hope Lambert can pull off another Benteke like masterstroke!   Bent will go and not sure what will happen with Dawkins, although right now I'd say he's hasn't made enopugh impact to warrant a permanent deal.

So, that would leave three major signings - CB, CM and forward, with a queation mark over the FB spots and some wheeling-dealing to be done with the keepers.  Max 5 players and minimum of 3.  If we have similar funds to last summer, then along with the incoming fees and wages saved, we should be able to look at players in the £5-£10m bracket.               

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »
I was thinking of starting a similar thread, but thought it may be a bit too soon.  However, now that someone else has started it, here goes:-

The key for me is buying as few players as possible.  That way, we can concentrate the funds we have available on experience and/or quality, which, when mixed with our better young players, should make for a pretty useful side.

If we continue with the present 4-3-3 as our primary formation, and look to have two players for every position, plus 3 keepers, then you get the following:-

Keepers - Guzan as no 1, obviously.  Given goes as he's too expensive when not playing, although this may need to be on loan.  That leaves Seigrist and Marshall, to I'd say also let Marshall go and bring in someone in their mid 20s from the lower leagues as the experienced back up, which I trust Lambert to do.

Defence - CB is the easiest to decide upon as Dunne gets released and we bring an experienced player in, which leaves him and Vlaar as 1st choices and Baker and Clark the back up.  The FBs are more difficult, as both Lowton and Bennett have shown potential, but the back up does look poor.  Do we bring it experience, thereby pushing them be the reserves, or do we persevere and get cheaper back up upgrades?  Hutton is a goner. 

Midfield - Sylla, Westwood and Delph would be my three right now.  In order to improve, we get a strong, quality and experienced CM (basically an actual replacement for Petrov) and let them fight it out for the other two places.  KEA stays and so does Bannan, as that means we can concentrate funds here on one player, thereby uping the quality we bring in.  Ireland can go to anyone mental enough to pay him to not be bothered if he plays football or not.

I'm not sure whether we class Holman as a midfielder or forward?  However, I'd keep him as long as he's OK with not being a regular.

Attack - Weimann, Gabby and Benteke are a good and versatile trio, as I feel Both the wide players could play centrally if we needed them to.  Happy for N'Zogbia to stay, given recent form, and Bowery should be given more time and fits in as the 6th option for those 3 places.  So that leaves 1 slot, where we need a good wide attacker, who could also play behind the striker, as Charlie does.  I can see that being an overseas signing and let's hope Lambert can pull off another Benteke like masterstroke!   Bent will go and not sure what will happen with Dawkins, although right now I'd say he's hasn't made enopugh impact to warrant a permanent deal.

So, that would leave three major signings - CB, CM and forward, with a queation mark over the FB spots and some wheeling-dealing to be done with the keepers.  Max 5 players and minimum of 3.  If we have similar funds to last summer, then along with the incoming fees and wages saved, we should be able to look at players in the £5-£10m bracket.               

Sounds fair.  You haven't mentioned Albrighton or the Fonz though.  Leavers or stayers?

Offline peter w

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
Although ireland's wages are big the amount we would have to pay if we didn't opay him off would be bigger. he would be entitled to win bonuses, appearance bonuses, goal bonuses etc. So, effectively we'd be saving by just ripping up his contract. if we can get someone else to take it over then great.
But, if not, kick him out.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »
Leavers, for me.

The Fonz isn't good enough, IMO, and Albrighton is a straight winger in a 4-4-2, so no place for him with the way we play under Lambert.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
I don't want to start a Summer Transfers Rumours Thread, as it seems a little like tempting fate, when our position in the League is far from guaranteed. In fact this thread goes fairly close as well. But I did just read the following rumours on F365 and thought this would be the best place to post:

SINCLAIR IN, WEIMANN OUT
That's Scott Sinclair, who is apparently a summer target for Aston Villa - if they stay in the Premier League - after his move to Manchester City somehow failed to work out. Who would ever have predicted that he would fail to establish himself at the Premier League champions and would play only a handful of games. Everton are also interested in Sinclair.

Unfortunately leaving Villa may be Andreas Weimann, whose talks about a new deal with Aston Villa have stalled, according to the Daily Mail. Norwich are said to be interested, but we have to say that we think he could do better.

I think Sinclair would be a great buy, but you would have to imagine he is on big money at City. Maybe a season long loan.

Surely we can offer a Weimann a contract good enough to fend off interest from the likes of Norwich. But if someone bigger shows genuine interest, he might be off.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »
no to Sinclair .  Sign up Andi now !!!

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
no to Sinclair .  Sign up Andi now !!!

I'd happily take Sinclair, but not if it meant losing Weimann.

But there's probably nothing in either story.  I fully expect Weimann to sign a new and improved contract just as soon as we know what division we'll be in next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal