collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 232004 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley
« Reply #1080 on: January 31, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
Good luck to him, he tried his best. His best wasn't good enough on most occasions.

We always looked to have a better midfield shape when he played although his individual contribution infrequently drew the eye.

A good deal for all concerned.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #1081 on: January 31, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »
Bye Westy. How I'll envy the huddled masses in the Turf Moor Mega Dome being tantilised by your Premier League talents.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1082 on: January 31, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »
Brilliant news.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1083 on: January 31, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
Here's the stretch

He's got Donald Trump hands.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #1084 on: January 31, 2017, 06:25:19 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how he does up there. Nice enough lad, one of the few who showed any real emotion when we got relegated, always worked hard (probably the only reason he got picked by a long list of managers, now including Sean Dyche), but the bottom line is he contributed next to nothing - doesn't tackle, doesn't challenge for anything in the air, points at players he should be marking, prefers a sideways pass rather than anything incisive, next to no assists and next to no goals. When Bruce finally dropped him and he came on from the bench we regressed. He was out of his depth in the PL and fared no better in the Championship. I wish him well but I'm not sorry he's gone, part of the mental frailty and losing culture that festered in the Lerner years.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1085 on: January 31, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
Fair and balanced CJ.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1086 on: January 31, 2017, 06:33:32 PM »
Jesus he really does not look happy to be there does he.

Burnley is one of the biggest shitholes in the entire UK.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1087 on: January 31, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
Thank you for being a villa man best of luck in the claret and blue of burnley

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1088 on: January 31, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »
Jesus he really does not look happy to be there does he.

Burnley is one of the biggest shitholes in the entire UK.

Something we can surely all agree on.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #1089 on: January 31, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »
just hope we didn't give them a receipt

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1090 on: January 31, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
*Generic neutral response*

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1091 on: January 31, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »
Good luck Ash. Unfortunately not good enough but equally he was part of a club in turmoil. I feel there's probably a better player there than we saw.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1092 on: January 31, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »
Good luck to him. He tried, he actually cared. He sort of won me round last season when he cried when we went down. It showed it mattered.
He showed promise in that first year but just seemed to gradually lose confidence from then on and persistently went hiding in games. Almost to the point he was actively avoiding the ball at times. He'd clock the yards, but without influencing the game at all.

Still, for the fact that he wasn't an absolute shit pile like some of the players we've had, I hope he does alright.

For what it's worth, a new place, less pressure, and a manager who clearly seems to rate him, and I think, like Lowton, he'll probably do alright. I won't miss him, but I do hope he does well. Whereas someone like McCormack say can just fuck the fuck off.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #1093 on: January 31, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »
Good luck to him, as people say he's a nice guy who always tried his best, it's just his limitations were laid open for all to see by playing in some very poor squads with even poorer midfields.

A quick look at some of the player's analysis on various sites have his strong points listed as: short/long passing, agility, ball control, stamina, composure and vision, and to me that seems pretty accurate. What you get is a player that can sit in midfield, seeks to react, intercept, or contain and close down the ball when out of possession (rather than tackling), and when in possession keeps the midfield 'ticking over' with mainly short to medium length simple passes, and the odd long ball, to the right creative players, rather than runs and dribbling past opponents.

To me that's exactly what he did for us, and pretty well when he had the right players around him to create the correct balance in midfield at the start (so much so some pundits were calling for an England call up), but with poorer players around him all of the the things he doesn't do so well, or does poorly, got highlighted. He's very much a player in the Carrick mould, though not as good obviously, and Carrick is/was much stronger in other areas of his game. But unless you're generally paying top dollar, you're not going to get players that are 'total footballers' that are strong in all areas and that's where the correct gelling of players with different, but complementary, attributes comes in. I think he could do well at Burnley, Dyche will know how to play him, and who to play him with, and ironically i think he's better suited to the more technical game of the premier league than the rough and tumble of the championship.

Doesn't deserve the stick he's been getting from a lot of the fans on here IMO, but do think it's the right move for him and us, and think he's been left a bit psychologically scarred by the events at Villa over the last 4 years or so.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #1094 on: January 31, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
Yes, we can agree that Burnley is one of the biggest shitholes in the whole UK.  However, since he only has to play there once every couple of Saturdays, on a Premier League wedge the fabulous pile he can afford somewhere in the Ribble Valley will more than compensate 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal