collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 232010 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #885 on: October 02, 2016, 12:21:30 PM »
In a bit of fairness to him, it does look the first challenge attempt at a tackle is just a kick at his ankles and that's why his arms go up after the second attempt takes the ball. He's also the only one attempting to block the goal as the defence are wank as usual. Having said that I really wish we had better and he was at best an option from the bench, that he's still pretty much a guaranteed starter is ridiculous.

What pissed me off more than him losing the ball...just pass it back to Elphick who was in yards of space. Instead he hung onto it for ages and then predictably lost it given how lightweight he is.

Just play it simple and it stays 1 nil and maybe we could've turned it around....instead our players try to be superstars on the ball and we lose yet another game.

its weird because we moan about him just doing  SIMPLE five yard passes and nothing else in the match and when he needs to doo a SIMPLE pass to Ephick he fucks it up

I can not believe he is still starting games for us and RDM is to blame for this.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #886 on: October 02, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
In a bit of fairness to him, it does look the first challenge attempt at a tackle is just a kick at his ankles and that's why his arms go up after the second attempt takes the ball. He's also the only one attempting to block the goal as the defence are wank as usual. Having said that I really wish we had better and he was at best an option from the bench, that he's still pretty much a guaranteed starter is ridiculous.

What pissed me off more than him losing the ball...just pass it back to Elphick who was in yards of space. Instead he hung onto it for ages and then predictably lost it given how lightweight he is.

Just play it simple and it stays 1 nil and maybe we could've turned it around....instead our players try to be superstars on the ball and we lose yet another game.

its weird because we moan about him just doing  SIMPLE five yard passes and nothing else in the match and when he needs to doo a SIMPLE pass to Ephick he fucks it up

I can not believe he is still starting games for us and RDM is to blame for this.

The last 4 managers before Di Matteo picked him too and it's very possible any new manager might continue to pick him as well.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #887 on: October 02, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »

The last 4 managers before Di Matteo picked him too and it's very possible any new manager might continue to pick him as well.

he must look like De Bruyne in training

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #888 on: October 02, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »

he must look like De Bruyne in training

You mean wear a ginger wig and put cotton wool in his cheeks?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #889 on: October 02, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
Judging from the crowd's reaction yesterday, I think things have passed the point of no return for Ashley.  Things will start to get ugly if he continues to be a starter.

Yeah, a lot of booing when his name was read out. I was flabbergasted when I realised Tsibola was on the bench whilst that useless waste of a skin was selected.

When I saw Westwood on the team sheet I thought Tshibola was out injured but then I saw he was sub. Just what on earth was RDM thinking leaving him on the bench for the lamentable Westwood? I think he's lost the plot and it's time for him to go.

It's becoming clear that Tshibola has injury problems which mean he can't manage consecutive games.  That makes the decision not to invest more heavily in the midfield is even more questionable. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:01:59 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #890 on: October 02, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »

Well we're stuck with him till at least January so he'll have to play some part especially with our midfield being so weak in terms of numbers. It's absolute madness that he's still at our club though and it was a huge mistake by RDM that he didn't finally get rid of him in the summer.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #891 on: October 02, 2016, 12:58:45 PM »
I'd play the feckless bozo in a midfield three or four, possibly, alongside more capable players, so that he has less responsibility and he can do his thing of "moving the ball on" (passing it five metres to more competent players).

The same goes for Jedinak. Just have him do what he can do in front of the back four - play to his strengths (whatever they are).

With the choices we have at the moment, I'd have Tshibola, Jedinak, Gardner and Grealish. Maybe Westwood for Gardner. Go 442. Drill those players so they know what their role is. Get some solidity and stability back.

Offline appyarryampton

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #892 on: October 02, 2016, 05:21:08 PM »
Ashley Westwood is a symptom of our midfield problems.
For Crewe he was not a holding midfielder, he played further up the pitch.
We need a midfield that for want of a better phrase 'can get a grip'.
Westwood is generally tidy and can usually pass (PNE mistake excepted).
He will never run a game, dictate play or shut down an opponent.
He would be a good player in a strong midfield. We have not had a strong midfield for years.
There is no way we can afford to play him at this level but God knows what options we have other than Tshibola.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #893 on: October 02, 2016, 05:27:42 PM »
Westwood is a puff of wind.  He's a third division player, which is where we'll end up if we keep playing him.  He can pass the ball five and ten yards, so can I.  He doesn't create, score goals, provide killer passes, He can't head a ball, can't defend, isn't physical.  I fail to see what the last four or five Manager's have seen in him that I cannot.  Stealing a living.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #894 on: October 02, 2016, 09:53:07 PM »
Agree with Newby.  Westwood seems like a nice honest lad, but  I can't really  recall a single incisive pass, killer through ball, defensive tackle or block that he's made in all the time he's been here.  He hardly ever scores and most of his "shots" end up in row Z.  My 7 year old daughter tackles harder than he does. He can't offer a burst of pace or physical combativeness. His floaty arty farty dead balls were shockingly bad.  In short he offers little or nothing in attack and can't defend and he's a level 3 or 4 player who's been playing well above his level since he signed for us.   Most of us could see all this, and still can, yet highly paid manager after highly paid manager keep picking him.  There has surely got to be someone in the reserves or youth team that can offer more - Lyden maybe?  Failing that Gardner at least has a decent shot on him.     

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #895 on: October 02, 2016, 10:18:39 PM »
If I was Dr Tony I would tell the new manager - get rid of him and use 25 millions pounds or whatever to find 3 good midfielders, and if you want a new right back, you need to generate money for it.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #896 on: October 02, 2016, 10:24:33 PM »
I think there's a pretty high chance the new manager will come in and say "I need a centre midfielder, centre back and experienced keeper, pronto"

Even if a couple of loans were included to tide us over the rest of the season. I'd sacrifice "characters" for guys who can play football

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #897 on: October 04, 2016, 11:19:41 PM »
I feel a bit sorry for Westwood.  His confidence is completely shot after being the only player who links all of our managerial disasters together. He made a decent start under Lambert but any self-belief he may have had has finally drained away and he needs to be out of the squad, at least for a while, for the sake of his own mental health.

He is like an American soldier in the Vietnam War on his third tour of duty.  He is fine in training but put him in the heat of battle, his nerve goes and he hides.  His confidence is completely shot as you say from the last 4 years of struggle.  He had potential when we signed him but he is nowhere near as good now as he was then.  He will never recover his confidence here and needs to move on for his own sake.  As others have said, he does not cause trouble but he is not up to it.

The best the midfield have played in the last couple of years was when Sherwood first came in and coincidentally he was not in the team.  When he came back in the side right at the back end of the season, we struggled again.  Likewise last season when Garde left him out, we improved a bit, only for us to return to ways when Veretout was injured and he came back in the side.  I do believe that he has made reasonable midfield players look far worse than they actually were over the last few seasons and we are seeing it again this season.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #898 on: October 04, 2016, 11:58:14 PM »
Are there any experienced goalkeepers unattatched?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #899 on: October 05, 2016, 12:37:46 AM »
Are you suggesting we put Westy I'm goal?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal