collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 233056 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #750 on: October 04, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
I wasn't at the match but from the stream I was watching, there seemed to be a huge amount of ironic applause when he went off and Gil came on. That struck me as not massively helpful.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #751 on: October 04, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »
I like Westwood in that he's a decent passer of the ball, he's certainly not "shit" by the definition I would have used of that word with respect to, say, Heskey.

I just don't think we can afford to carry a player who does that well but everything else so badly.

I also think Veretout looks like a duplicate of Westwood except he makes himself look much busier around the pitch and doesn't follow up every pass with a few minutes of walking around.

I don't think Veretout is anything like Westwood personally. I think he'd be really good as an attacking midfielder which is where I think he played for his last club.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #752 on: October 04, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »
I wasn't at the match but from the stream I was watching, there seemed to be a huge amount of ironic applause when he went off and Gil came on. That struck me as not massively helpful.

True, but fans are frustrated and it can't be helped. The boos at the end were fully deserved as well.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #753 on: October 04, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
It's helpful if the cockney chancer heard and took note of it.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #754 on: October 04, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
I thought Westwood did OK, he certainly put some tackles in and closed down opponents in a way that sometimes he avoids.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #755 on: October 04, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »

It's not helpful but I'm of the opinion now that fans are at breaking point. How much more can they just sit their and politely clap and encourage, it's not a minor blip it's been going on for years and nothing looks like it's changing. They don't deserve unending support, they've done nothing to earn, the fans are supporting their club by turning up week after week pretty much for nothing, there's no entertainment or enjoyment is there really. So they are doing their bit, it's time for the rest of the club to do their bit, Westwood has been part and parcel of a terrible team for years now, he's going to take some stick.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #756 on: October 04, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »

I was there and it was horrible I thought. He was the best of our midfield three. The other two were a joke.

He is far from a world beater but has become an undeserved scapegoat for the masses. What about our big money signings?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #757 on: October 04, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »

I was there and it was horrible I thought. He was the best of our midfield three. The other two were a joke.

He is far from a world beater but has become an undeserved scapegoat for the masses. What about our big money signings?

Gana didn't have his best game yesterday. Veretout was decent I thought though.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #758 on: October 04, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »
I cannot see that. He's nowhere near as good as Veretout and Gana.

Both can tackle, both can drive the game on. Time and again Westwood let a midfielder run off him. He's going to drive me to murder the useless pointing bugger.

How about you stop pointing at the man whose drifted into acres of space behind you and track him you clown? Mind you, when he does get close, he's so lightweight that he's knocked away like a rag doll.

I can also see why he only passes five yards and to the side, as he's garbage playing it forwards. Four times he lofted a ball into a stripey shirt.

He is dross. There is no way any cogent argument can be made for him being a Premier League standard midfielder. He cannot cover a defence, he cannot drive the ball on and beat a man. His set pieces are so bad they're laughable.

I am sick and tired of watching useless twats like Westwood stink out our midfield.

And we gave this prick a five year deal.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:24:12 PM by Ads »

Offline supertom

« Reply #759 on: October 04, 2015, 12:29:02 PM »
Crap. End of.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #760 on: October 04, 2015, 01:04:42 PM »

I was there and thought the ironic cheers were more for Gil coming on than Westwood going off.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #761 on: October 04, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »
I find him a nice and neat player which doesn't help when we need to battle for a victory.
I can't really figure out what his role is. He isn't direct enough to be an attacking midfielder and he is too lightweight to be a defensive Midfielder.

He definitely needs to be taken off corners, We have decent options in Gestede, Richards and Lescott but Westwood never picks anyone out.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #762 on: October 04, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »
I've definitely seen him play very well in the past. He's not nothing, and I think there are some overreactions to his bad form on here.

That said, there's no question that he is not in good enough form to merit a place in the team. Bending over backwards to accommodate him just makes him and us worse, and he clearly just needs to sit out for a bit.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #763 on: October 04, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »

For how many years now has Westwood stunk out our midfield?
He deserves all the stick he gets, and more in my opinion, and the sooner he's gone the better.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #764 on: October 04, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »

I was there and thought the ironic cheers were more for Gil coming on than Westwood going off.

I thought that as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal