collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:28:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231940 times)

Offline passitsideways

Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #720 on: September 27, 2015, 01:27:02 AM »
I think he's a scapegoat, but he's useless in our current setup because we don't need a third midfielder whose only skill is to keep the ball. Just play Veretout and work through his growing pains, or go to a two-man midfield with Sanchez/Gana.

He's not a scapegoat. He's a reason for where we are. Not the only one. Just an obvious one.

It's collective shitness; I don't think he really stood out in how poor he was. The other individual player threads aren't exactly filled up with posts tonight denigrating their performance.

I just don't really see how someone as bland as Westwood can inspire such vitriol.

Offline bill

« Reply #721 on: September 27, 2015, 01:47:20 AM »
Frustration. We've watched this shit for so long.People are despairing of it ever ending.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #722 on: September 27, 2015, 08:38:12 AM »
Worrying thing is Westwood just like Gabby seems to be a nailed on selection as far as Sherwood is concerned. Wish someone could actually tell me what he brings to the team

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #723 on: September 27, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »
Worrying thing is Westwood just like Gabby seems to be a nailed on selection as far as Sherwood is concerned. Wish someone could actually tell me what he brings to the team

The only thing I can think of is wanting to keep a British midfielder who understands the league down the spine of the team, which on the face of it seems fair enough. The problem is the standard he achieves is worthy of a bottom 5 Premier League team at best. Surely Sherwood and Wilkins must see he's not up to it by now?

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #724 on: September 27, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
I like Westwood, I've seen him play well often and I think he really adds something to the team when on form. However, I can't argue even with people who don't rate him that he's going through a very bad spell at the moment - nothing overt, he just looks lost, like a player without a role, almost like he's playing without clear instructions. And for Christ's sake, either he should be told to do something else with his corners or be taken off them, because the flighty-floaty nonsense couldn't be working less well at the moment.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #725 on: October 02, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »
I think it would be better if we started to take different types of corner because it's just so predictable it makes you wonder if any one else wants to do it

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #726 on: October 02, 2015, 10:51:26 AM »
I think it would be better if we started to take different types of corner because it's just so predictable it makes you wonder if any one else wants to do it

It would be nice if they tried a rehearsed short corner or any sort of corner.  They rarely work but it would show that they're putting in some extra work in training.  MOTD highlighted a team's routine last week (can't remember which), we just seem to wing it as opposed to have some sort of plan.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:53:32 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #727 on: October 02, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »
It would be really nice if he was sat in a racing seat on the sidelines on Saturday instead.

He's a bloody awful League 1 player.

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #728 on: October 02, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »
It would be really nice if he was sat in a racing seat on the sidelines on Saturday instead.

It'll be his 100th league game tomorrow

The Stoke fans would be singing '100 games and done fuck all' but they'll probably forget he's on the pitch

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #729 on: October 02, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »

He's one the few mainstays in our last couple years of drudgery.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #730 on: October 02, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »

He's one the few mainstays in our last couple years of drudgery.

A shining beacon of below averageness.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #731 on: October 02, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »

It'll be his 100th league game tomorrow

The Stoke fans would be singing '100 games and done fuck all' but they'll probably forget he's on the pitch

It just shows what we have become when a player of westwoods level plays a 100 league games in just over 3 seasons.  :-\

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #732 on: October 02, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
I sincerely hope he never reads this thread.  Shouldn't this amount of vitriol be reserved for players that have deliberately sabotaged the club rather than an earnest pro, who might not be quite good enough?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #733 on: October 02, 2015, 07:46:06 PM »
I sincerely hope he never reads this thread.  Shouldn't this amount of vitriol be reserved for players that have deliberately sabotaged the club rather than an earnest pro, who might not be quite good enough?

It's hardly vitriol.

It is part of the deal. They pull in 20k a week, we pay stupid ticket prices, we get to complain about them.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #734 on: October 02, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »

It's hardly vitriol.

It is part of the deal. They pull in 20k a week, we pay stupid ticket prices, we get to complain about them.

Fair enough.  Probably why I never made it as a footballer, I took any criticism far to too literally.  That and the two left feet etc. etc....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal