collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 232997 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #585 on: September 20, 2015, 06:28:52 PM »
The thing is initially Sherwood dropped him and  didn't fancy him, look at his team line ups for the first couple of games, he was on the bench.

To his credit he knuckled down and produced an outstanding performance v Liverpool and some good ones in the league.

As it goes I don't mind him, I think he has some good qualities but yeah bit deluded to think he's ever going to be an outstanding player for us in this league.

Also another who looks like he might be on easy street now he's got a brand spanking contract extension to follow the likes of Weimann and Lowton.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #586 on: September 20, 2015, 10:06:09 PM »
Doesn't really contribute enough for me. I rather see Clark given a run in CM. After all, Clark has played midfield before and would certainly add more physicality.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #587 on: September 21, 2015, 01:33:36 AM »
Has he ever produced a convincing performance as part of a midfield two (either in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1)? I'm struggling. His good stretches of form have always been when we've played 4-3-3, and particularly when there's someone else in midfield who can get forward to support the front three. In the context of our current squad his strengths are superfluous sadly.

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #588 on: September 21, 2015, 04:04:59 AM »
Until regulars like him are replaced we won't improve. He's played consistently now in a Villa team that has never bettered 15th and that's about the best he can achieve  imo. He should be on the bench at best if we want to get better.
Nail on the head, add Gabby too. Simply not good enough.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #589 on: September 21, 2015, 07:42:43 AM »
Westwood's no world-beater but we're setting ourselves up to fail with only two CMF. Why Veretout was not in there as the third CMF on Saturday baffles me.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #590 on: September 21, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
I would play either Clark or Veretout in midfield instead of Westwood

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #591 on: September 21, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »
Gana and Sanchez can be the anchors with the Traores and Grealishs of this world providing the sparks

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #592 on: September 21, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
Gana and Sanchez can be the anchors with the Traores and Grealishs of this world providing the sparks

Agree.  Gana and Sanchez with Grealish in front of them would be the way I would be looking to go.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #593 on: September 21, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
A recurring problem with our midfield over the recent bad years is the inability or unwillingness to be direct, to run straight. Westwood has picked up the vice of shallow cross field runs that gain no attacking advantage and wrong foot his own players. Steven Davis started doing it with us and so did Barry Bannan. KEA raised it to an art form. Cleverley learned it now Westwood does it. Apart from anything else the shallow runs mean you run thirty yards but the player who tackles you only has to run five so you are knackered after an hour. Worse still it simply allows teams like we played last Saturday to consolidate and present a ten man defensive wall. We must have midfield players who play straight and play penetrating passes. Passing the ball across the pitch to feel out the opposition is effective enough but running from side to side achieves nothing that a good pass cannot bring about with a fraction of the physical effort. When Stylian was at his best he would collect the ball, take half a turn to both protect possession and see what was on then make his pass. That is why so many football greats appear to have time and play almost at walking pace. It is because they play straight and put the opposition on the back foot not go flying off at tangents all over the field.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:49:10 AM by brian green »

Online KRS

« Reply #594 on: September 21, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »
The main problem with Westwood is that we simply dont have the squad options to replace him at the moment. Its all well and good criticising the players, but when there's no options to replace him with someone better then there's not an awful lot that can be done about it until Gueye returns from injury or Veretout proves he's fit and good enough.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #595 on: September 21, 2015, 01:22:11 PM »
The main problem with Westwood is that we simply dont have the squad options to replace him at the moment. Its all well and good criticising the players, but when there's no options to replace him with someone better then there's not an awful lot that can be done about it until Gueye returns from injury or Veretout proves he's fit and good enough.

I would chuck clark in, always thought he would be better as a defensive midfielder rather than a centre half and he will put his foot in.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #596 on: September 21, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »

Agree.  Gana and Sanchez with Grealish in front of them would be the way I would be looking to go.

I think you need a third body in there.  Less attacking but we need to be harder to beat.  Currently I'd go:

---Gana----Sanchez-----Westwood/Vertout---
---Adama---Gabby----Grelish------

Westwood is taking a lot of flack right now but I think he just about guarantees 6/7 out of ten performances each week, whereas Sanchez/Vertout and Gana sometimes absolutely stink the place out.  Hopefully as they become more settled the need to rely on Westwood will reduce but I think he has a consistency - albeit average - which will help the transition.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #597 on: September 21, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »

I agree too, although I also agree with those who suggest Clark as a defensive midfield option. I have thought for quite a while that could be his best position. Westwood's consistently woeful wayward shooting is embarrassing.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #598 on: September 21, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
A recurring problem with our midfield over the recent bad years is the inability or unwillingness to be direct, to run straight. Westwood has picked up the vice of shallow cross field runs that gain no attacking advantage and wrong foot his own players. Steven Davis started doing it with us and so did Barry Bannan. KEA raised it to an art form. Cleverley learned it now Westwood does it. Apart from anything else the shallow runs mean you run thirty yards but the player who tackles you only has to run five so you are knackered after an hour. Worse still it simply allows teams like we played last Saturday to consolidate and present a ten man defensive wall. We must have midfield players who play straight and play penetrating passes. Passing the ball across the pitch to feel out the opposition is effective enough but running from side to side achieves nothing that a good pass cannot bring about with a fraction of the physical effort. When Stylian was at his best he would collect the ball, take half a turn to both protect possession and see what was on then make his pass. That is why so many football greats appear to have time and play almost at walking pace. It is because they play straight and put the opposition on the back foot not go flying off at tangents all over the field.

I agree, Brian. Let the ball do the work.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #599 on: September 21, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
I like Clark but if we're citing him as an option, we may as well give Gardner a run once he gets healthy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal