collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 232031 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #570 on: September 20, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
And to repeat, his level of skill and contribution to the team has been deemed worthy of a FIVE year contract extension.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #571 on: September 20, 2015, 12:56:21 PM »
And to repeat, his level of skill and contribution to the team has been deemed worthy of a FIVE year contract extension.

Um, didn't a lot of people suggest that the actual reason for the contract extensions the club gave this summer had as much to do with ensuring we could get a proper fee for them if we wanted to move them on?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #572 on: September 20, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
Yes but you pick your targets with a view to these long contract extensions.

Whose going to be breaking down the door to take Ashley Westwood off our hands. Cardiff, Bristol City, Derby.

Offline Risso

« Reply #573 on: September 20, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »

Um, didn't a lot of people suggest that the actual reason for the contract extensions the club gave this summer had as much to do with ensuring we could get a proper fee for them if we wanted to move them on?

I don't know.  But assuming we don't move him on, as I can't ever recall there being the merest whiff of interest in him, we're stuck paying him until 2020.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #574 on: September 20, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
Even if we're assuming that only Championship clubs would want him (just because we don't really see the fuss about him doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else would share our opinion), they still have a lot of money these days, and I doubt that the wages would be problematic. I don't know if a extra year on the contract would make much of a difference either.

Basically, I just don't see the extension as having made it significantly harder for us to get rid if we choose to do so. Doing it was just to cover ourselves in case he did manage to improve (he still might, even though people are scrambling to throw rocks at him.)

Online john2710

« Reply #575 on: September 20, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
I thought his performance yesterday was inept. In a 2 man midfield he is exposed for what he is; OK at some things but useless at others. He's neat & tidy with the ball but offers practically nothing as a defensive midfielder & even less as an attacking midfielder. He doesn't do box to box & his set plays are rarely any threat. I struggle to see anything he brings to the team. We cannot play him in a 2 man midfield & Sherwood should be able to see that.

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #576 on: September 20, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
He's simply not good enough.. he just seems to be a passenger in the games and i'm not sure why he keeps getting played

Defensively he adds very little.. fortunately we have Sanchez alongside him who's very good at winning the ball back

going forward he adds even less, he only seems capable of playing the ball sideways, and for someone who's suppose to have a good level of passing ability, there seems to be no killer ball in his locker at all

and how he's on set pieces i just cannot fathom, his floated in corners are absolutely terrible, and then he decides he wants to take the free kicks too. That free kick in the second half was appalling. Fair enough if it hits the wall or just goes wide, but the ball wasn't even dropping by the time it hit the fans

I'd much rather see a trio of Gardner, Veretout, Gueye or Sanchez in there at the moment

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #577 on: September 20, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
I thought his performance yesterday was inept. In a 2 man midfield he is exposed for what he is; OK at some things but useless at others. He's neat & tidy with the ball but offers practically nothing as a defensive midfielder & even less as an attacking midfielder. He doesn't do box to box & his set plays are rarely any threat. I struggle to see anything he brings to the team. We cannot play him in a 2 man midfield & Sherwood should be able to see that.

Anyone should be able to see that.  He just hasn't got the athleticism to play in that formation, which was underlined by the fact he could not get near Darren Fletcher yesterday.  The midfield is a problem as we haven't really got the personnel to be flexible in there.  Last season, we had Westwood, Sanchez, Delph and Cleverley, which meant we could play either a three or a two.  This season, we have Gana, Sanchez, Westwood and the relatively untried Veretout.  They all seem pretty similar and fitting them into a three would leave a pretty unbalanced three.  What I would like to see is Sanchez and Gana playing together with Grealish or Gil in front of them. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #578 on: September 20, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »
The 5 year contract doesn't bother me with Westwood. If we wanted rid of him we'd sell him easily I reckon.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #579 on: September 20, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
Westwood's problem is that he's played as a defensive, quarterback-style midfielder, but his defending is absolutely atrocious.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #580 on: September 20, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »
Westwood plays well in a three, and maybe in a deep two against less physical teams, but yesterday was never the game for that. Veretout should have been in the side, preferably for Gabby or Sinclair, and we should have played a 4-3-3 with Gil and Grealish given freeish reign to do their thing with more protection behind them.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #581 on: September 20, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »
Until regulars like him are replaced we won't improve. He's played consistently now in a Villa team that has never bettered 15th and that's about the best he can achieve  imo. He should be on the bench at best if we want to get better.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:54:25 PM by Jockey Randall »

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #582 on: September 20, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »
Think we'd get about £2.3m for him from someone like Ipswich

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #583 on: September 20, 2015, 05:13:55 PM »
Be interesting if Westwood would be starting if we could field our first choice 11. Although given our injury record, we'll probably never find out.

Offline Risso

« Reply #584 on: September 20, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »
The 5 year contract doesn't bother me with Westwood. If we wanted rid of him we'd sell him easily I reckon.

Depends what his wages are.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal