collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231934 times)

Offline Jimbo

Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #555 on: September 20, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »
Westwood can't kick a ball. His set pieces are terrible without exception. He's not very good at kicking a moving ball. Since kicking a football is a fairly important part of the game, then I fail to see the appeal in having Westwood being invisible until he's required to kick a ball, which he can't do. Offload him to Newport County.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #556 on: September 20, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »
Been saying for ages he's a massive issue. He has not progressed in 3 years, you could argue he's regressed , nowhere near PL level player.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #557 on: September 20, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »
Been saying for ages he's a massive issue. He has not progressed in 3 years, you could argue he's regressed , nowhere near PL level player.

and to think some thought he could play for england lol

having him in the side is playing with ten men

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #558 on: September 20, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
Still look on the bright side. He's only contracted to be here until 2020.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #559 on: September 20, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »
Ashley Westwood is a bog standard average Championship footballer of weak physic and even weaker footballing ability. Makes me nostalgic for Brett Holman!

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #560 on: September 20, 2015, 10:19:15 AM »
The acceptance of defeat still runs through this team with Westwood being one of the main culprits, and for the very same reason, Agbonlahor, Guzan and Bacuna are others that should be nowhere near the starting eleven or even on the bench.

Offline Ron Manager

« Reply #561 on: September 20, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
The acceptance of defeat still runs through this team with Westwood being one of the main culprits, and for the very same reason, Agbonlahor, Guzan and Bacuna are others that should be nowhere near the starting eleven or even on the bench.

You may have noticed that Brad Guzan played very well yesterday. Or perhaps you didn't.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #562 on: September 20, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
Ashley Westwood is a bog standard average Championship footballer of weak physic and even weaker footballing ability. Makes me nostalgic for Brett Holman!

Agreed.  Too lightweight in every department.  Never been a fan, and he's never done anything to convince me he's more that you describe. And fucking useless at set pieces.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #563 on: September 20, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »

Agreed.  Too lightweight in every department.  Never been a fan, and he's never done anything to convince me he's more that you describe. And fucking useless at set pieces.

That's one of my gripes with him. I don't think i've ever seen him take a decent corner.

He actually started the season quite well but he looks better in a three man midfield which I think is something we may have to go back to.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #564 on: September 20, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »
Westwood isn't a bad player as such, but he plays in an absolutely crucial position, where he's locking horns with opposition players who are so much better than him.

I've always felt Ashley needs two CMs beside him to let him play to his peak. Unfortunately we can't afford that luxury of having him babysat every week.

I haven't looked at the stats but I have a feeling our downturn in results at the end of last year coincided with his reinstatement to the side.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #565 on: September 20, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »

You may have noticed that Brad Guzan played very well yesterday. Or perhaps you didn't.

Yes I did notice that he had one of his better performances yesterday, but often can you say that over the last 12 months?

Online TonyD

« Reply #566 on: September 20, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
Him and Wilkins must have great nights at the bar discussing the finer points of the sideways pass. 

Offline LTA

« Reply #567 on: September 20, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
Another parasite stealing a living at Aston Villa. 

Offline Ron Manager

« Reply #568 on: September 20, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »
Another parasite stealing a living at Aston Villa.

That is totally unfair. I am sure he does his best for the club. It is hardly his fault that he does not poccess the required skills to play in such an important position.It is the fault of this manager and the previous manager that he is selected consistently for the first team.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #569 on: September 20, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »
He's simply not a bad player per se, and this shit about him being a personification of our losing mentality or whatever the fuck is highly melodramatic - tons of so-so player have settled into squad roles at decent mid-table sides. The issue is that Sherwood seems to view him as a starter in a two-man midfield every week, and he's out of his depth there, whereas any club who wants to go anywhere would have him as a squad option for certain games and to help shore things up late.

The problem is that in the context of our midfield options, he offers the same wares as everyone else, except at a slightly lesser quality. Like, Gana keeps the ball as well as him, but he's much better defensively, as is Sanchez. Veretout is being described as someone who has some clue on what to do with the ball in the final third, while that's probably never going to be something Westwood will have any idea of doing. Yesterday, and the Sunderland game, was begging for someone in midfield who would provide a bit of dynamism but we just don't have it at this moment because most of our midfielders are same-y.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal