collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231941 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #540 on: September 13, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »
We've scored three goals from Westwood corners this season. I'd have Gil or grealish taking them personally. But there's a false premise that other teams are banging in goals from corners all season. They aren't.

As to his general play, he's very similar to carrick, tho not as good. I know lots of people don't rate carrick. But footballers do.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #541 on: September 13, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
He's a very very poor mans Michael carrick.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #542 on: September 20, 2015, 08:32:20 AM »
I said it in the post match thread, but it is worth repeating; Ashley Westwood is fucking shite.

He is one of the main reasons why we've struggled so badly for years. He has a singular inability to pick up a player. It is staggering how easily they run off him. Have a watch again, if you dare, of the Leicester game or yesterday's. Opposition players don't even have to work hard to lose him.

That is a major flaw in a "holding" players game. His lack of speed or strength on the odd occasion he does spot one midfielder ambling by him is another flaw.

He is third division standard pish and is one of the chief reasons Sanchez runs out of steam, because the bloke has no idea about game management. He dictates nothing with his slow tempo and vacates space to be covered by others far too often.

Veretout and Gana might well be the longer term solution. I'd pick just about anybody over this clown.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #543 on: September 20, 2015, 08:35:05 AM »
He has to be an awful
lot better.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #544 on: September 20, 2015, 08:50:25 AM »
I said it in the post match thread, but it is worth repeating; Ashley Westwood is fucking shite.

He is one of the main reasons why we've struggled so badly for years. He has a singular inability to pick up a player. It is staggering how easily they run off him. Have a watch again, if you dare, of the Leicester game or yesterday's. Opposition players don't even have to work hard to lose him.

That is a major flaw in a "holding" players game. His lack of speed or strength on the odd occasion he does spot one midfielder ambling by him is another flaw.

He is third division standard pish and is one of the chief reasons Sanchez runs out of steam, because the bloke has no idea about game management. He dictates nothing with his slow tempo and vacates space to be covered by others far too often.

Veretout and Gana might well be the longer term solution. I'd pick just about anybody over this clown.

this.

for the past 3 seasons we have been overun in central midfield and today he was fucking awful. he is so lightweight and knocked off so easily i would be tempted to play a 12 year old girl.

i would play clark in front of the back four as at least he has some bottle

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #545 on: September 20, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
Utter shit of a player. After we've finally been put out of our misery with him and he leaves he will go the way of the rest of the dross we've had the last few seasons, down the divisions. Mugging a living in the top flight.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #546 on: September 20, 2015, 08:57:51 AM »
At the end of 12-13 there was a real optimism as we had a great end to the season and some of this also involved Westwood's form at the end of that run-in. However the following two seasons have shown he does absolutely nothing and his set-pieces are atrocious. Compare him to some one in a similar position like a Townsend, Petrov, Draper, Parker or a Richardson. Any one of these could win the ball, take a set-piece, pass it around and score the odd goal. Westwood isn't in the same league as one of those. Westwood passes it around without creating too much and that's about it. Westwood the player is for me the one most representative of Paul Lambert's reign and sadly I don't think he's going to be any different under Sherwood. A Petrov, a Parker or Townsend in this team would make all the difference.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #547 on: September 20, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »
A nothing player.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #548 on: September 20, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »
I was going to say similar on this thread, he's set pieces are totally shite, that free kick on the edge of their box was just pathetic. He's the reason we struggle because he's so terrible

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #549 on: September 20, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »
Funny enough, heres his stats. 3 goals and 10 assists in 3 seasons. A half decent midfielder might reach that in one. Okay he averages one shot on goal a game so his goal tally isn't going to be special. So if he's not in there for his goals then maybe his assists. 10 assists in 3 seasons. Nope, not much creativity either. Defensively his stats are pretty low as well. What does he do?

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/79050/History/Ashley-Westwood

Offline supertom

« Reply #550 on: September 20, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »
Funny enough, heres his stats. 3 goals and 10 assists in 3 seasons. A half decent midfielder might reach that in one. Okay he averages one shot on goal a game so his goal tally isn't going to be special. So if he's not in there for his goals then maybe his assists. 10 assists in 3 seasons. Nope, not much creativity either. Defensively his stats are pretty low as well. What does he do?

I think maybe 5-6 of those assists came in his first season. Where he was showing some promise. He's regressed though. A lot.
Players like Westwood, Gabby and Bacuna are all regulars but they're shit and they're making it very difficult for the club to progress.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #551 on: September 20, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
I was going to say similar on this thread, he's set pieces are totally shite, that free kick on the edge of their box was just pathetic. He's the reason we struggle because he's so terrible

definately

this is what his 4th season and he has not progressed one iota. he is however world class at pointing. as long as players of his and bacunas ability are regular starters the only place we are going is the championship

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #552 on: September 20, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
I thought with Veretout, Gueye and Sanchez we'd have seen the last of this plodder.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #553 on: September 20, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »

I think maybe 5-6 of those assists came in his first season. Where he was showing some promise. He's regressed though. A lot.
Players like Westwood, Gabby and Bacuna are all regulars but they're shit and they're making it very difficult for the club to progress.

they did, six of them were in the first season  when Benteke was in that hot goal scoring run. Not much difference between him and El Ahmadi, would be interesting to see how he'd have fit in Sherwood's team. As a defensive midfielder he was much better.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #554 on: September 20, 2015, 09:40:20 AM »
We definitely miss Gueye

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal