collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 232842 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #510 on: August 19, 2015, 12:03:23 PM »
It's easier to be a good defensive midfielder in front of a very good defence and with genuine quality to play to ball up to.  Petrov played in a side with some very good players around him; Barry, Young and Milner in particular gave him a great platform to play from.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Petrov or Westwood I just think people are sometimes too keen to ignore the context of the squad Westwood has played in.  When we played with a bit of freedom and good movement after new year in 2012/13 Westwood looked a very good player, he was making defence splitting passes and changing the point of the attack brilliantly.  Then we spent the next 50 games or so playing long ball safety first shit where Westwood was bypassed when we had the ball and he didn't look great.  Even when Lambert decided to play possession football is was slow and pointless and again Westwood struggled because all he was able to do was link up with the centre backs and pass around in his own half.

Under Sherwood with us looking to get movement from the forwards and looking to move the ball faster Westwood is once again looking a very good player, add Grealish, Gil and Traore to the mix and get Veretout up to speed with the league and playing more central and I think we'll see Westwood step up another level, lots of clever, technically accomplished players offering movement in front of him is exactly what anyone playing that role wants.

Offline Ryu

« Reply #511 on: August 19, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »
He reminds me of Petrov.
Not in the same league Imho , in fact not even close.
Let's not revise everything because of the circumstances of Stan quitting the game but he wasn't that good and in fact below average for a season and half.

I think there is a point here about people revising their opinions on Stan as many people did criticise him in his first season but a lot also recognised the food things he did, which is common for midfielders of his type.

But he was very good for us and is the reason we didn't miss Barry really when he left, as in Barry's last season Petrov had been the better player.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #512 on: August 19, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
It's easier to be a good defensive midfielder in front of a very good defence and with genuine quality to play to ball up to.  Petrov played in a side with some very good players around him; Barry, Young and Milner in particular gave him a great platform to play from.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Petrov or Westwood I just think people are sometimes too keen to ignore the context of the squad Westwood has played in.  When we played with a bit of freedom and good movement after new year in 2012/13 Westwood looked a very good player, he was making defence splitting passes and changing the point of the attack brilliantly.  Then we spent the next 50 games or so playing long ball safety first shit where Westwood was bypassed when we had the ball and he didn't look great.  Even when Lambert decided to play possession football is was slow and pointless and again Westwood struggled because all he was able to do was link up with the centre backs and pass around in his own half.

Under Sherwood with us looking to get movement from the forwards and looking to move the ball faster Westwood is once again looking a very good player, add Grealish, Gil and Traore to the mix and get Veretout up to speed with the league and playing more central and I think we'll see Westwood step up another level, lots of clever, technically accomplished players offering movement in front of him is exactly what anyone playing that role wants.

Very well put Paul.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #513 on: August 19, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »
He reminds me of Petrov.
Let's not revise everything because of the circumstances of Stan quitting the game but he wasn't that good and in fact below average for a season and half.

I think there is a point here about people revising their opinions on Stan as many people did criticise him in his first season but a lot also recognised the food things he did, which is common for midfielders of his type.

But he was very good for us and is the reason we didn't miss Barry really when he left, as in Barry's last season Petrov had been the better player.

He was good at bacon up the play.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #514 on: August 19, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
He reminds me of Petrov.

Even though some games he was fed on scraps

Offline Ryu

« Reply #515 on: August 19, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »
He reminds me of Petrov.

I think he had a better shallot than Westwood, as well.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #516 on: September 13, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
Last season I remember cleverley increasingly getting into scoring positions around the time of the cup semi. I was very confident he'd score soon. And he did

I'm getting the same feeling with Westwood now. So this time I'm calling it publicly. He will score one or even two in the next four games.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #517 on: September 13, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »
He reminds me of Petrov.

I think he had a better shallot than Westwood, as well.

I liked him, but his form was a bit streaky.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #518 on: September 13, 2015, 04:49:16 PM »
Defensively he sometimes leaves us in a bit of a stew.

Offline AGRIPPA

« Reply #519 on: September 13, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »
I personally wouldn't play him in a 4 man midfield but in a two...... Never....

Far too light weight, his tracking is poor and as for the pointing....don't ask!

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #520 on: September 13, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »
His corners are atrocious too

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #521 on: September 13, 2015, 06:22:04 PM »
Come back Gueye asap. Same limitations from him, no protection for the centre backs, no impact in the other half. Another one of his games where he does that un noticed thing? It's complete bollocks, I don't notice him doing anything because he fucking isn't. A part of the passenger trio with Gabby and Bacuna. And he can shove his set pieces up his arse, might as well give a goal kick and save the centre backs the run back.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »

Haven't we scored from three of his corners already this season? (admittedly two of them not exactly directly!)

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #523 on: September 13, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
I don't think today changes anything really. It was agreed that he probably needs to play alongside two other mids, and it showed. He was alright first half, but completely overrun after Leicester changed it up and Sherwood didn't respond, and had no chance of doing anything once it was clear Sanchez had run out of gas.

I don't give a toss about his corner kicks anyway. Fans completely overrate their potential as goalscoring opportunities, provided that the defence bothers to defend them properly (which we aren't doing).

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #524 on: September 13, 2015, 06:36:40 PM »

Haven't we scored from three of his corners already this season? (admittedly two of them not exactly directly!)

I also suspect that this floating style is dictated by the manager.  I think with a big team it can work.  But today only really Lescott and Richards to aim for.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal