collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 232986 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #465 on: August 14, 2015, 12:40:29 AM »
Sanchez has had some shockers for us, so bad that we'd have been better off with only 10 men and him off the ptich. I can't recall Westwood ever being that bad for us despite playing 3x as many games. He's been ineffective etc, but never a liability like Sanchez.

But Westwood never tries to tackle anybody, because he he usually several yards away from them. The comparison is invidious.

I'd hardly say Sanchez is the best "tackler" in the world

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #466 on: August 14, 2015, 12:49:26 AM »
Sanchez has had some shockers for us, so bad that we'd have been better off with only 10 men and him off the ptich. I can't recall Westwood ever being that bad for us despite playing 3x as many games. He's been ineffective etc, but never a liability like Sanchez.

But Westwood never tries to tackle anybody, because he he usually several yards away from them. The comparison is invidious.

I'd hardly say Sanchez is the best "tackler" in the world

Who is the best "tackler" in the game, in your opinion? And do you think "tackling" is even necessary? And what would you consider is a "tackle"?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:52:30 AM by adrenachrome »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #467 on: August 14, 2015, 12:56:43 AM »

Sanchez averages 1 more tackle per game than Westwood.

« Reply #468 on: August 14, 2015, 01:00:06 AM »
and what about successful passes ?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #469 on: August 14, 2015, 01:01:38 AM »
Pretty similar stats for passing. Both at 83-84% success on average.

« Reply #470 on: August 14, 2015, 01:08:30 AM »
I still feel Westwood can improve, can't say the same about Sanchez (although I'd love him to prove me wrong).

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #471 on: August 14, 2015, 01:11:54 AM »

Sanchez averages 1 more tackle per game than Westwood.

I think TS is in your camp on this issue at the moment, PWS. I have long  thought that we need 1, if not 2 strong DCMs.  Westwood is good as what he does, but he is not a DCM in the way I see the role.  We shall see.

« Reply #472 on: August 14, 2015, 01:14:46 AM »
Is this not all to do with us playing more of a 4-3-3 so far this season?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #473 on: August 14, 2015, 01:18:06 AM »
I like them both and think they can both be assets for us, my original comment was more that there were times Sanchez was a liability, I don't think Westwood ever has been one. Both do need to improve though.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2015, 01:19:19 AM »
I still feel Westwood can improve, can't say the same about Sanchez (although I'd love him to prove me wrong).

I don't think Sanchez can improve technically, but he can get up to speed with the game here more and improve his performances.

Watching him in the Copa America convinced me he's a player worth sticking with, don't mean to go on about it but he was colossal against Brazil and I've never thought that about Westwood.

I like Sanchez and think he could offer something a bit different to the team in terms of a physical presence in the middle. That said I can see why people rate Westwood higher based on Villa performances, and I'm not sure that both of them will start for us too often.

« Reply #475 on: August 14, 2015, 01:24:19 AM »

I don't think Sanchez can improve technically, but he can get up to speed with the game here more and improve his performances.

Watching him in the Copa America convinced me he's a player worth sticking with, don't mean to go on about it but he was colossal against Brazil and I've never thought that about Westwood.

I like Sanchez and think he could offer something a bit different to the team in terms of a physical presence in the middle. That said I can see why people rate Westwood higher based on Villa performances, and I'm not sure that both of them will start for us too often.

I think that's the key point - with our style of play at the moment, it's hard to see how both would get a starting place assuming we're not struggling with injuries etc...

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #476 on: August 14, 2015, 01:26:31 AM »

I think that's the key point - with our style of play at the moment, it's hard to see how both would get a starting place assuming we're not struggling with injuries etc...

True.

4-2-3-1 does not seem the Timah way.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #477 on: August 14, 2015, 01:52:12 AM »

True.

4-2-3-1 does not seem the Timah way.

But he has spoken about playing with different styles. Having a double shield with quick attacking players would set us up to play on the counter attack, and Sanchez is used to playing in this kind of system for Colombia I think.

Say we're playing against Man City, I'd like to see Sanchez as he breaks the game up and would maybe disrupt Silva a bit more.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #478 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »
Who is the best "tackler" in the game, in your opinion? And do you think "tackling" is even necessary? And what would you consider is a "tackle"?

I was reading an article on the rise of belgian football and unsurprisingly their improvement is largely credited to an overhaul of youth football - countrywide tactics/coaching etc etc.  Anyway tackling is banned from youth football in belgium instead they concentrate on interceptions and shepherding players away from dangerous areas.   

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:37 AM »
The big problem with Sanchez is his inconsistency, and the spectrum of it. It's not that he's good in some games and not so good in others, it's that he's very good in some games and absolutely appalling in others, such as Arsenal and QPR away.

There's obviously a very capable player in there though, so it'll be a test of Sherwood and Wilkins' coaching ability to get the best out of him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal