collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231942 times)

Offline MoetVillan

Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #420 on: August 12, 2015, 05:33:22 PM »
Can I ask those of you who don't rate westwood, what you make of Michael carrick?

A better version of Ashley Westwood?

An older version more like.  I reckon he will make the England Squad.  And id love it to be at the expense of some shit arse from City

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #421 on: August 12, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
I think he is more talented than he appears at times and also think he has more ability in an attacking sense than we use at the moment. He is solid and dependable though. If Wilkins and Sherwood can teach him to track a run he might become even better.

Agreed, though I do think that mentioning his failure to track runs now appears to be the only way we concede goals. He could be better, but then there are a number of regular features of our defending and what we do when we lose possession that we could mention - Westwood and not tracking runs is very much 'on trend' at the moment.

I wouldn't say he is great, but he is good and capable of getting better and he does what is asked of him - as shown when Sherwood arrived and he moved the ball quicker and more often forwards. I would say his improvement in performance and effectiveness was greater than was seen (briefly) from the Manc who went to Blue Scouse.

Not losing possession so cheaply would be a good thing to improve on and Westwood has a really good habit of passing to someone in the same kit. I would suggest he also makes more interceptions than is the norm for our midfield (decent positional sense and discipline perhaps).

Not being out of position is also a good idea if you want to avoid too many goals conceded to quick counter-attacks. Whilst it is not his job to get around the pitch and play an advanced role, he is decent at holding is position and if he is the defensive shield then you could argue others should be tracking runners.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #422 on: August 12, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
5 years, really? I think he needs to up his game and be a lot more than a basic water carrier, he doesn't impose himself on games nearly enough.
I think that is harsh.  Watch the Liverpool semi-final again, he was superb in that game.

Watch the Liverpool goal again. Classic Ashley Westwood.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #423 on: August 12, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
Good news in a sense as I really rate him.  Not sure we need to commit for 5-years though.
I can only assume that 1. the club/manager really rate him* and 2. the club are anticipating a spike in wages once the new TV deal in in full force so want to secure the majority of players on long deals.

*This is pleasing as Westwood, in interviews, comes across as a player who lacks self confidence.  If Sherwood can make him feel ten feet tall then he could fulfil his potential.  In which case we will be laughing.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #424 on: August 12, 2015, 06:20:05 PM »
5 years, really? I think he needs to up his game and be a lot more than a basic water carrier, he doesn't impose himself on games nearly enough.
I think that is harsh.  Watch the Liverpool semi-final again, he was superb in that game.

He tracked his man and then Okore gave the ball away and Delph fluffed his clearance.

Offline frank black

« Reply #425 on: August 12, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »
5 years, well done Villa a good player and only going to get better.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #426 on: August 12, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
Can I ask those of you who don't rate westwood, what you make of Michael carrick?
Carrick Is the benchmark for this role of holding mid and play maker. Westwood is not in the same league at present yet I hope now he has better players around him he will have the confidence and experience to now go up a level.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #427 on: August 12, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »

That was all about Okore surely?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #428 on: August 12, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »
Whilst I find westwood hard to dislike , he's been part and parcel of a truly rubbish villa team for 3 years. New contract notwithstanding he needs to up his game now.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #429 on: August 12, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
Whilst I find westwood hard to dislike , he's been part and parcel of a truly rubbish villa team for 3 years. New contract notwithstanding he needs to up his game now.

Any player who put their boot on that FA Cup final pitch has a shit load of making up to do. Not least AW.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #430 on: August 12, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
Whilst I find westwood hard to dislike , he's been part and parcel of a truly rubbish villa team for 3 years.

So were Benteke and Delph.

« Reply #431 on: August 12, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »
Whilst I find westwood hard to dislike , he's been part and parcel of a truly rubbish villa team for 3 years.

So were Benteke and Delph.

Ah yes... The much mooted 'spine.' Minus Dumbo of course...

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #432 on: August 12, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »
Must be a pretty much win always round for us, assuming it's for reasonable wages.

As with Clark,
either he continues to be a valuable member of the the first team = great deal,
or
he never progresses further than now and remains as a competent squad member without reaching the stupid situation we were in with the likes of Beye
or
he moves in 12-18 months and we get a decent fee due to the length of contract

Offline nigel

« Reply #433 on: August 12, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »
"Any player who wants to get in the team ahead of Ashley Westwood will have to be a very good player"

Not my words, but those of Tim Sherwood

« Reply #434 on: August 12, 2015, 09:32:28 PM »
"Any player who wants to get in the team ahead of Ashley Westwood will have to be a very good player"

Not my words, but those of Tim Sherwood

Hopefully we're signing some 'very good players...'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal