collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231943 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #360 on: September 20, 2014, 05:00:45 AM »
Good call tom, very true.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #361 on: September 23, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
Somebody thinks that they've watched Ashley Westwood before but they clearly haven't:

Adrian Durham in the Daily Heil

...the Villa virus is so bad the training ground was due to be temporarily shut down this week. Midfielder Westwood was throwing up in the warm up and despite being named in the original XI he couldn’t start the game he was so ill. With him patrolling in front of the back four there is no way Ozil would have had such an easy day.

If Wenger is as shrewd as his supporters believe he is, he will have realised Westwood’s absence was the key to Arsenal’s victory.

Wenger might also work out for himself that Westwood is exactly the holding midfielder Arsenal need. Gilberto Silva left the Emirates in 2008 and Arsenal haven’t had a decent anchorman since.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #362 on: September 23, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »
Somebody thinks that they've watched Ashley Westwood before but they clearly haven't:

...the Villa virus is so bad the training ground was due to be temporarily shut down this week. Midfielder Westwood was throwing up in the warm up and despite being named in the original XI he couldn’t start the game he was so ill. With him patrolling in front of the back four there is no way Ozil would have had such an easy day.

If Wenger is as shrewd as his supporters believe he is, he will have realised Westwood’s absence was the key to Arsenal’s victory.

Wenger might also work out for himself that Westwood is exactly the holding midfielder Arsenal need. Gilberto Silva left the Emirates in 2008 and Arsenal haven’t had a decent anchorman since.

Anchorman you say?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #363 on: September 23, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #364 on: September 24, 2014, 12:52:51 AM »

You have to love part time fans.  Westwood as a holding midfielder for a decent side.  Baker for England. 

Perhaps they are playing percentages. Throw enough leftfield names out there and eventually if one makes it they can go "See!  I told ya!"

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #365 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:51 AM »

You have to love part time fans.  Westwood as a holding midfielder for a decent side.  Baker for England. 

Perhaps they are playing percentages. Throw enough leftfield names out there and eventually if one makes it they can go "See!  I told ya!"

Transfer speculation.  Twas ever thus.....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:16:53 AM by Villa in Denmark »

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #366 on: September 24, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »

Anchorman you say?

Westwood is about as effective as sex panther.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #367 on: September 24, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »

I suspect "journos" are used by players and agents to get themselves into the public eye re moves, international call-ups. Especially back in Sven's day every player seemed to get a chance at an international call up even Jlloyd samuel. Handy bargaining chip for pay rises etc

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
I'll be contrary and say that his form in the back part of his first season was awesome.  I was convinced that Man U would come calling, looking for a replacement for Carrick.  On that basis, I find the suggestion a lot less ridiculous.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #369 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »
Westwood has potential and has survived last season because of it.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #370 on: September 25, 2014, 07:16:09 AM »
He's been excellent this season. I'm a big fan.

Offline Kevin Dawson

« Reply #371 on: September 25, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »
I'll be contrary and say that his form in the back part of his first season was awesome.  I was convinced that Man U would come calling, looking for a replacement for Carrick.  On that basis, I find the suggestion a lot less ridiculous.

Agreed - after his first season I said that he would be at Old Trafford within 2-3 years....

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2014, 10:14:41 AM »

I've always got the impression that Lambert is a big fan as well.  I think he might see something of himself and the type of player he was in Westwood.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #373 on: September 25, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
On that basis, I find the suggestion a lot less ridiculous.
I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that he is a good player - he clearly is.

It's the suggestion that a section of the press seems to think that he is an all-action, tough-tackling midfielder of the type that Arsenal need.

Rather than a slightly built, metronomic, pass-it-simply midfielder that Arsenal could probably put together a whole team of already.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #374 on: September 25, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »

I've always got the impression that Lambert is a big fan as well.

He picks him for every game so i reckon you're right. I'm not a massive fan of him but i don't dislike him either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal