collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 233062 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #315 on: September 14, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
He is probably the only one of Lambert's lower league gambles that has actually paid off. Good performance yesterday.

Lowton paid off. And then fell away awfully. But we'll always have stoke and Sunderland Matthew.

I don't agree about Lowton.  I thought he was defensively awful in his first season.  I think one of the main reasons we look so much more organised now is that we're not constantly getting battered down the wings, and that's because we've got proper full backs at last.

I agree with that.

Also, re the first season, I think when we look back to it, there is a tendency (understandable, but it is still there) to really remember the nine or ten last games in which we improved hugely, and forget the preceding thirty where we were awful.

Lowton did improve in that run-in (they all did, pretty much) but last season was a real reality call.

The number of teams who slaughtered us down the flank was pretty impressive. If you look at our full back options, there wasn't too much solidity there.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #316 on: September 14, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
Yeah I am on the plus side for Westwood.   Think he takes a good set piece and tends to be a solid six or seven out of ten performer.   Think his confidence was shattered a bit a couple of years ago when we went on that dire run which almost saw us relegated.  But I think he is now recovering.

Ironically, Westwood's set-piece taking is better when Benteke's not in the side. He doesn't put in those floated corners that Benteke apparently enjoys, and we look a lot more dangerous as a team because of that.

Offline Weedy

« Reply #317 on: September 18, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »
Westwood could be a Des Bremner type of player, not flashy, but gets the job done.

Someone else thinks he could play for England...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2757478/Tom-Huddlestone-Mark-Noble-Ashley-Westwood-fit-England-not-Lee-Cattermole.html

Offline supertom

« Reply #318 on: September 18, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
The arrivals of Sanchez and Cleverley are only a good thing for Westy. It'll keep him on his toes and ensure he keeps his performance levels up. He's good on the ball and we've got all too few English midfielders who can trap and pass a ball, so if he maintains his form, there's no reason he couldn't get a call up. We've an easy qualification group, and two years to get a group together capable of at least being competitive at the Euro's.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #319 on: September 18, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
Westwood could be a Des Bremner type of player, not flashy, but gets the job done.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2757478/Tom-Huddlestone-Mark-Noble-Ashley-Westwood-fit-England-not-Lee-Cattermole.html

The only thing that piece fails to take into account is the fact that Mark Noble is wank.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #320 on: September 18, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »
I thought Westwood suffered a little from second season syndrome last year. So far this season I think Westwood has been one of our best performers and on this form I can well imagine him getting into the England squad too.

We have some good options in midfield. Not least is Sanchez, who will make things interesting when he settles and establishes himself in the team. That could push Westwood from the anchor role into a more offensive role. It would also mean we have 4 players fighting for 3 places with the likes of Bacuna and Cole all likely to be involved at one point or another.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #321 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »

The only thing that piece fails to take into account is the fact that Mark Noble is wank.

I know his cousin. A blue nose with 'ZULU' tattooed onto his right calf.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
He's been really good this year, I think he's benefitting from having a competant defence behind him.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #323 on: September 18, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »
He's been really good this year, I think he's benefitting from having a competant defence behind him.

The reverse is probably true too. The midfield are better protecting the defence.

Offline supertom

« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
Likewise I think a bit more midfield quality alongside him and Delphy helps too.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #325 on: September 18, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »

Upside down no doubt.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #326 on: September 18, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »

The reverse is probably true too. The midfield are better protecting the defence.

Yeah I'd agree, and it's added real stability to our team.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »

Not an article I agree with, I've long felt its Westwoods tracking back that is a particular weak point of our midfield, players just run off the back of him into the penalty area. The rest of his game isn't strong enough to make up for this.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »

Noble, Westwood, Bremner or Adrian Durham?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #329 on: September 18, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »
Him and KEA together were wetter than a limp lettuce. He looks to have a bit more spunk in him now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal