collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 232013 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #300 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:23 AM »
Agreed on the Aaron Hughes thing. Also McCann and bloody Eirik Bakke. Christ, to think we were pulling our hair out because Doug wouldn't sanction getting him in permanently.

Offline JPartington

« Reply #301 on: July 30, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »
I still wince whenever I see Baker's name on the teamsheet. The last 2 years have reduced me to a wincing quivering wreck. There is always a moment when the opposition winger/forward realises what happens if he sprints directly at Baker when Baker has possession.

Offline supertom

« Reply #302 on: July 30, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »
I thought McCann was very good for us in his first season. Our midfield could probably do with a player like him (with a bit more style and technical ability) in the middle which would allow Westy and Delph to be more expressive.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #303 on: September 14, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »
Westwood deserves a mention for yesterday too. Quietly effective, never out of position. He's developing nicely now he has some quality and experience around him.

Offline supertom

« Reply #304 on: September 14, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
Westwood deserves a mention for yesterday too. Quietly effective, never out of position. He's developing nicely now he has some quality and experience around him.
I thought his set piece delivery was very good yesterday too. It's also been a point of real frustration over the last couple of years. We actually looked a threat from set pieces yesterday, in part because Liverpools marking was shite, but first things first, the delivery has to be good and it was. He's got to get consistent with it though.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2014, 10:30:04 AM »
I thin he's been our best midfielder this season and was way over criticised last

Jonathan Pearce said on MOTD that he'd had an outstanding twelve months. I wouldn't go that far, but I've never understood why he gets so much stick

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #306 on: September 14, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
He is probably the only one of Lambert's lower league gambles that has actually paid off. Good performance yesterday.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #307 on: September 14, 2014, 10:32:58 AM »
He looks good now he has some experience around him.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #308 on: September 14, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »
I thin he's been our best midfielder this season and was way over criticised last

Jonathan Pearce said on MOTD that he'd had an outstanding twelve months. I wouldn't go that far, but I've never understood why he gets so much stick

In the same sentence Pearce also wondered if an inclusion in the England squad for Westwood could be a possiblity ..............Godzvilla!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #309 on: September 14, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »
He is probably the only one of Lambert's lower league gambles that has actually paid off. Good performance yesterday.

Lowton paid off. And then fell away awfully. But we'll always have stoke and Sunderland Matthew.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #310 on: September 14, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »

Lowton paid off. And then fell away awfully. But we'll always have stoke and Sunderland Matthew.

I don't agree about Lowton.  I thought he was defensively awful in his first season.  I think one of the main reasons we look so much more organised now is that we're not constantly getting battered down the wings, and that's because we've got proper full backs at last.

Offline Ryu

« Reply #311 on: September 14, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »

Agree with this.  He did go missing too often in games last season but as has been mentioned he seems to be benefiting from playing in a more solid team.  He compared himself to Carrick when he first arrived and it would be great to see him reach that sort of level as an unfussy possession recycler.   

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #312 on: September 14, 2014, 12:34:46 PM »
Might have said this before, but I think he's the one who will most benefit from Cleverley's presence in our midfield, as someone who might be more willing and able to get into a more advanced position to receive a forward pass along the ground. The way we played last season, that was pretty much never available to Westwood (KEA/Sylla never going to do that, and Delph obviously is much more effective driving forward from deep), which basically meant that his passing options were pretty much always limited to sideways and backwards, or the long ball up to Benteke/Kozak; and in such a situation, given his questionable defensive qualities, he was always going to resemble a passenger.

On the other hand, on those few occasions we did play with a no. 10 (or with Albrighton out wide to stretch the defence), his passing game did look noticeably better. The problem with that, of course, was that the no.10 was either Weimann or Tonev, which left us even more exposed at the back. Hopefully the improved defence so far and having Cleverley there instead (who, based on his efforts yesterday, should at least be able to track back and provide KEA's energy whenever we have to defend) means we can be more comfortable with playing that 4-2-3-1 and not worrying about being hopelessly exposed.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #313 on: September 14, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
I thought he was excellent yesterday. He's always had a decent first touch but now he seems to have an impeccable one. His energy and control of our tempo (when in possession) have also notably improved. He's looking forward a lot earlier now too, as opposed to backwards or sideways, which is obviously helped by a better allround shape to the team.

I don't want to get carried away with him, but if the likes of Jack Colback are getting capped, surely Westwood can't be too far away?

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #314 on: September 14, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
Yeah I am on the plus side for Westwood.   Think he takes a good set piece and tends to be a solid six or seven out of ten performer.   Think his confiderence was shatterned a bit a couple of years ago when we went on that dire run which almost saw us relageted.  But I think he is now recovering.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal