collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 233097 times)

Offline Gregorys Boy

Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
If we sign one two midfielders who are a step up in class and with more experience then I can see Westwood struggling a bit to get back in the team.  But as things are I still think he has something to offer, and when you are as young as him I don't think any great pressure should be put on him.  Its not like he is another Baker who looks totally out of his depth at this level.

If Lambert did say that then he is a fool.   That is the sort of thing you say when a player is hitting top form (like MON's world class comment with Young) not when they are still finding their feet.

Online papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
and with the addition of another midfielder who is relaxed and comfortable in possession, Westwood can begin to dictate play on a regular basis, as we need him to.
This is the critical point that has been mentioned many times. Westwood and Delph have been having to do things that they are not great at to compensate for the missing dominant central midfielder. Get the right man in and they will make better progress.

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
He did say it. 8 months ago.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »
There was a spell at the end of the previous season where he looked excellent but he dropped off a lot last year in my opinion.
It's certainly a bit of a cross-roads season because the Jan-May 2013 player is Premier League quality whereas the guy we've seen since is not.

Offline JPartington

« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
More than most, Westwood would probably benefit from having some better players in the team along side him, allowing him to dovetail with them and move the ball around with a bit more ease than present.

He has it all to prove, but I'm hopeful that within a year or two, we will be talking about him with some real pride.

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »
His performance at Newcastle last season was op class, but we did not see enough of that level of performance during the season.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
He did say it. 8 months ago.

Okay, I really should start looking at the dates on this posts...

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
If we sign one two midfielders who are a step up in class and with more experience then I can see Westwood struggling a bit to get back in the team.  But as things are I still think he has something to offer, and when you are as young as him I don't think any great pressure should be put on him.  Its not like he is another Baker who looks totally out of his depth at this level.

If Lambert did say that then he is a fool.   That is the sort of thing you say when a player is hitting top form (like MON's world class comment with Young) not when they are still finding their feet.

I think we'll only be in the market for one, but even then Westwood would be fighting with Cole probably for the third midfield place and I'd certainly fancy Cole over him against a number of opponents, but at least it will give us options and fighting for his place won't do him any harm.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #293 on: July 29, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
Is he any better than Gavin McCann in his "prime"?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #294 on: July 29, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »
Is he any better than Gavin McCann in his "prime"?
They're not really comparable players. 

One was in the team to tackle,  one was in the team to pass the ball. 

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »
Even now, on top of some of the shite served up in recent years, I still wince when I see footage of McCann playing for us.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »

We'll only sign one more I think.

If it's Ki then I reckon he'll play him and Westwood stationed infront of the back 4. Not sure on positioning but you'd surely think both of those can keep things ticking on the passing. Delph will play more advanced and then it will either be Cole or N'zogbia depending on fitness.

Could even be a diamond actually.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2014, 10:15:20 PM »
I can also see Westwood and ki holding. Unless we play a diamond (which we might) that does leave Delph as the most advanced of three. Not sure about the creativity there

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
Even now, on top of some of the shite served up in recent years, I still wince when I see footage of McCann playing for us.

I used to be like that with Aaron Hughes. I know he did ok at Fulham, but I thought he was truly awful for us.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #299 on: July 29, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
I can also see Westwood and ki holding. Unless we play a diamond (which we might) that does leave Delph as the most advanced of three. Not sure about the creativity there

Depending on the formation, I could see Westwood holding with Ki (if he arrives) and Delph in front of him in a midfield three.  I think having a more advanced attacking midfielder would also help Westwood as he is more than capable of  sliding passes through into those kind of areas.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal