collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231980 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
He has been really poor for me. Very disappointing and needs some bench time like Lowton.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
I can't see what he brings to the team.  This season the only positive thing I can say about him is that when he's not playing poorly he's at best steady.  As others have said, the money spent on Kozak should have been invested in the midfield.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »
He's not hit the standards he did last season but with a player as young as him, it was possible it was going to happen at some point.

Offline eastie

« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »
He's not hit the standards he did last season but with a player as young as him, it was possible it was going to happen at some point.

Indeed.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »

Agreed.

I still think he's better than El Ahmadi.

Offline eastie

« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »

Agreed.

Not this season he isn't.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #261 on: October 22, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »

Agreed.

He was better last season than El Ahmadi has been this, and I reckon he'll find his form again given time.

Offline eastie

« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »

Agreed.

He was better last season than El Ahmadi has been this, and I reckon he'll find his form again given time.

Indeed he was and I was pleased last season with him but he needs to get his game together fast as Lowton has found out lambert will not hesitate to ditch him unless he delivers - Westwood this season has been hugely disappointing , kea average - in all honesty I'm not sure either are good enough long term.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »
It's always KEA who gets subbed and that really annoys me. I'm not a huge fan of El Ahmadi but he offers us more than Westwood is at the moment.

Another thing, how bad was that corner?

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
Two things he needs to sort out that he does in every game he plays.

1 - when a player is pulled out of position (more often than not this relates to the full-backs), Westwood sees it (which is more than most do) and points at the opposition player as if to say "look, he's unmarked!". Now, rather than point, why doesn't he himself go out to the player, especially when there will be two other centre-midfielders left in the middle of the pitch. In our formation, a midfielder can drift out to cover somebody. So, less pointing, more covering and taking responsilibilty.

2 - don't bottle challenges

He looked a good player last season, but he hasn't quite gone for him this season so far, but he's not the only one. The same thing is happening to Weimann and Lowton. I say persist at least until Xmas and take it from there.

Offline supertom

« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
It's always KEA who gets subbed and that really annoys me. I'm not a huge fan of El Ahmadi but he offers us more than Westwood is at the moment.

Another thing, how bad was that corner?

I just wonder whether KEA struggles to last 90 minutes. He runs around a lot, probably as a consequence that we average around 40% possession thus far (no surprise given opposition).

For me I think we've got KEA as a finished article. He's not got enough in his locker.

I hope Westwood can develop more to his game, but it doesn't look good so far.
I'd like Sylla to be starting more. We looked much better for having him in the side last season, and he seems the one in midfield (Delph aside) who has most potential.
I'd also be tempted to bring Johnson in. He's mobile, tidy on the ball, has a reasonable scoring record at youth and reserve level and seems to have an eye for a pass. With Westy and KEA struggling, I'd like to see other players being tried.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
I think Westwood is one of those quietly proficient players, rarely spectacular but does the disciplined, donkey work to allow others to shine. He's clearly struggling for a bit of form but when he's on his game it's all about positional discipline and keeping things ticking over.

Offline Isa

« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
The most defensively inept 'defensive midfielder' I've ever seen. Until he is able to protect the defence, he will remain a passenger in the team. 

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »
The most defensively inept 'defensive midfielder' I've ever seen. Until he is able to protect the defence, he will remain a passenger in the team. 

He's not a defensive midfield player, if that's how you're judging him then you're about 10 years out of date.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
I'd say he's more of a holding midfield player if anything.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal