collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 231921 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
I thought he was superb yesterday, he was everywhere and he was playing them on his own in the middle (again).

I think for £2m he's an absolute steal, I've been massively impressed with him this season.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
Westwood will develop. Anyone expecting him to be a tough tackler, or a goal scoring midfielder doesn't understand his game. He is there to feed the ball into the more creative players feet and space. His game is working well. Especially with N'Zogbia in form in front of him, and the prospect of a defensive midfielder next to him will see him flourish.

I agree with that completely.  It's not his job to be an all-action box to box player.  If he is good he'll be the link between defence and attack and also probably the main man to dictate the tempo of the game.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »

Watching the highlights, he does fall asleep, and let players run behind him, a la their 2nd goal.And the 3rd goal came from Bennett trying to play football instead o hoofing the ball away.

Going back to Westwood, he does try to play football, and for £2m is a good squad player at the very least.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »
I like Westwood, but he needs a physical presence next to him. He's a good player.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2013, 05:16:27 PM »
With the ball he's promising, without it he's got to improve dramatically if he's going to be a top flight player.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »
I like Westwood, but he needs a physical presence next to him. He's a good player.

Agreed, this lad will be a proper player in time. Lovely cross for Gabby's goal.

Must keep if we go down but I think Swansea were in for him before we signed him so they could come in again.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
Reminds me a bit of Joe Allen at Liverpool.  Due to our lack of options in midfield, he's probably played a bit more than he should have this season, but on the whole he has done well.  Needs a mobile, physical midfielder next to him and an active ball playing attacking midfielder in front of him to bring out the best in him.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:56:03 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
Yeah Swansea were looking at him as an Allen replacement. Worried if they come in with a 4-5m bid, we'll bite and be left with proper shite like Delph and Bannan.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
To be honest I'm not worried about anything beyond the end of the season at the moment.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
Why are so many people convinced there will be a fire sale at the end of this season and we'll end up worse than Barnsley? If we go down, and granted things look rather shit, we'll look to shed the big earners first if possible. The other new players are all under contract, and while that doesn't mean as much as it once did, they also represent the best chance of immediate promotion. There's no reason to sell.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »
Does anyone else get why he is started now? It was all good and well earlier in the season when we actually kept the ball. But now we have gradually become a counter-attacking long-ball team, he offers absolutely nothing. Doesn't help the defence and doesn't offer any offensive threat.

Completely agree, he's "neat and tidy" but offers little protection for the defence, and nothing offensively at all.

Apart from setting up Gabby's goal?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »
Apparently Everton's midfield were going to devour ours yesterday. KEA and Westwood can't have done too bad if we nearly won the game. I still think Delph, in his current progressive form, is a better bet than both when fit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2013, 06:56:56 PM »
Why are so many people convinced there will be a fire sale at the end of this season and we'll end up worse than Barnsley? If we go down, and granted things look rather shit, we'll look to shed the big earners first if possible. The other new players are all under contract, and while that doesn't mean as much as it once did, they also represent the best chance of immediate promotion. There's no reason to sell.

1) Benteke won't want to play in the Championship at all, and if other clubs come in for the likes of Westwood, they'll probably be off as well.  We might want to shed the big earners first, but other clubs will be more interested in what they can more or less force us to sell.
2) If the finances are rubbish on Premier League money, then they're going to be diabolical on Championship income.  We'll need to sell anything saleable just to help Lerner's cash black hole.  See my post in GM for the likely financial consequences of relegation.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2013, 07:18:50 PM »

1) Benteke won't want to play in the Championship at all, and if other clubs come in for the likes of Westwood, they'll probably be off as well.  We might want to shed the big earners first, but other clubs will be more interested in what they can more or less force us to sell.
2) If the finances are rubbish on Premier League money, then they're going to be diabolical on Championship income.  We'll need to sell anything saleable just to help Lerner's cash black hole.  See my post in GM for the likely financial consequences of relegation.

Too busy looking at your post match thread contributions. ;)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
Does anyone else get why he is started now? It was all good and well earlier in the season when we actually kept the ball. But now we have gradually become a counter-attacking long-ball team, he offers absolutely nothing. Doesn't help the defence and doesn't offer any offensive threat.

Completely agree, he's "neat and tidy" but offers little protection for the defence, and nothing offensively at all.

Apart from the cross for the second goal?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal