collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley  (Read 233126 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Ashley Westwood
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
Yes, because that's exactly what he's saying.

Can I just make PL aware that I went to Kingshurst Comprehensive, and am therefore the next Gary Shaw?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:17:50 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline supertom

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »
I like him. He goes about thinks assuredly and quietly. He might slip under the radar some games even if he's actually doing what he's there for and more. Don't think you'll see any game saving tackles or too many eye of the needle assists or 30 yard screamers but a bit like Carrick he does his job very well and that's to keep the ball. He played a couple of great passes the other night too. He warrants his place at the moment.
Likewise, credit to Bannan the other night. I thought he was excellent and he and Westy work well together. I think adding in Holman as the third in a mid 3 looked very good. A nice balance.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
Anyone remember the last player we signed from fourth division Crewe and how that went?

So, Crystal Palace should be buying players from Dulwich Hamlet, just because Ian Wright was a sensation?

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying, you old super-sleuth you.

Offline exigo

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
Westwood had the highest pass completion on Saturday, with 91%. He did far more than mark the opposition's playmaker out of the game.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »
I watched the game again last night and especially paid attention to Westwood's performance. Firstly, the entire team looked like so confident and slick. You could have been mistaken for thinking we were Arsenal at times. We just still miss the correct killer pass or cross. As for Westwood he is very composed and was completely unfazed by the opposition. Did all of the simple things really well and has great awareness of what is happening around him. As with all of our midfield players, they worked their collective bollocks off, but they all need to be better in the final third either providing or getting into the box into goalscoring positions. Holman was a massive step up in that regard when he came on but up until that point nobody made any telling late runs. Maybe that happens when you are playing three up front.

Last season we played a bit like this and were really pleased at the performance at home versus Arsenal despite losing. We thought that it would be a platform from which to build. That never happened. In a similar way now, if we play like that tomorrow night we should hammer Reading and hopefully get our season going again.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
Anyone remember the last player we signed from fourth division Crewe and how that went?

So, Crystal Palace should be buying players from Dulwich Hamlet, just because Ian Wright was a sensation?

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying, you old super-sleuth you.

I just don't see the relevance of David Platt. He obviously played for the same teams and also played in midfield.
 Does it really make Westwood any more likely to be a success?

For what its worth, I thought he was outstanding on Saturday

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
I think you've taken Lee B's light hearted comment far too seriously.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »
Perhaps if other people mention it, I have. I've just seen it written in so many places.  I wasn't trying to needle

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »
I really like him.  He's the kind of player every team that wants to play football needs, as is Bannan.  Hard work off the ball and a good eye for a pass on it.  Positions himself well defensively without needing to dive in with big 50/50 tackles.

We just need to balance them out with an all-action dynamo (like Holman or KEA but a bit more quality on the ball).

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
I watched the game again last night and especially paid attention to Westwood's performance. Firstly, the entire team looked like so confident and slick ... if we play like that tomorrow night we should hammer Reading and hopefully get our season going again.
Wow, some prediction.
I doubt we'll hammer Reading: their confidence is up and they can score goals against hesitant defences. I think we may well win it bbut it could be squeaky bums all around, since I think we'll need to score 2 or 3 goals against their admittedly weak defence.
But back to the topic, as I said above I do rate Westwood for his apparent calm and good decision-making. He complements the other youngsters around him, particularly BB (Lambert appears to have brought out some maturity in bananaman).

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2012, 05:36:57 PM »
Perhaps if other people mention it, I have. I've just seen it written in so many places.  I wasn't trying to needle

Fair enough pal.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »

No probs, I was just making the point that sometimes unheralded players from lower league clubs can turn out to be outstanding players, despite what the conventional wisdom of premier league punditry may say.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Yes, because that's exactly what he's saying.

Can I just make PL aware that I went to Kingshurst Comprehensive, and am therefore the next Gary Shaw?
I thought you were?!

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »
Holman was a massive step up in that regard when he came on but up until that point nobody made any telling late runs. Maybe that happens when you are playing three up front.

It was significant that Holman was second in the "most runs past an opponent" (or whatever they call it) category for the match. And how long was he on the pitch?  At the moment we do not have anyone who seems to want to take opponents on and go past them, we try to pass round them but if this is not done at speed the opponent has time to re-position himself, whereas if you run at and past him he is out of position.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »
Holman was a massive step up in that regard when he came on but up until that point nobody made any telling late runs. Maybe that happens when you are playing three up front.

It was significant that Holman was second in the "most runs past an opponent" (or whatever they call it) category for the match. And how long was he on the pitch?  At the moment we do not have anyone who seems to want to take opponents on and go past them, we try to pass round them but if this is not done at speed the opponent has time to re-position himself, whereas if you run at and past him he is out of position.

But if he tackles you then you're out of position. Which is stating the bleedin' obvious but the point is that you generally only do it in the final third so that rules out three quarters of the team from being likely to feature much on that stat and also that he had fresh legs against tiring opponents. That sounds like I'm running him down when I'm not as I think he's a good player and did well on Saturday but more a comment on the way these things can be misleading.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal