collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188764 times)

Offline supertom

Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #450 on: December 15, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »
There isnt that many decent keepers in the league really. Mignolet is in the spotlight at the moment but Southampton spent 10m on Fraser Forster who really is useless.

De Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Begovic probably the best four. Hart has dropped back over the last couple of years. Guzan is in the chasing pack along with the likes of Speroni.
I was just thinking today about the sad state of English goalkeepers. We used to be completely blessed in that department. In fact I ended up watching that BBC history of Aston Villa doc earlier today (posted on another thread). It got me to thinking what a crime it was that Rimmer and Spink only got a cap each. Either one could waltz in as England no 1 compared to the current crop.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »
I think Brad needs dropping for a couple of weeks. I love him as a keeper and he is still our long term no.1 but mistakes are creeping in and costing us, his distribution has also been absolutely awful for 3-4 matches. Given should get a game against United. If u want 100% and top performances EVERY player needs to know they are not undroppable, I'm not sure big Brad knows he is. It my do him some good to be out of the firing line as well

Sorry but this is knee jerk.

Put Given back in and you'll soon see panic spread back into the defence as he stays glued to his line for the tenth set piece. We can defend those competently nowadays so why destablish things.

Even in his "poor" run of form he's still been excellent at West Ham, kept a clean sheet at Palace (even though he was a bit dodgy there) and just conceded 1 goal in the other games.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2014, 12:00:25 AM »
I don't blame Brad for the Leicester goal, what exactly was he meant to do when it took a deflection so close to him? His dealing with crosses and kicking are what have gone downhill, his shot stopping is still excellent.

I think shot stopping is the very least you expect from a keeper.  His distribution is poor and his command of the area equally so.

Yeah his kicking isn't great and I've always thought he's a bit slow coming off his line in one on ones, those are my two criticisms of his games.

Harsh on commanding the area though. I know he was at fault for the Albion goal but to me he's one of the best in the league at coming through a crowded area and claiming a cross which is testament to his desire to improve that from the Blackburn game years back.

Compare him to that mug Mingolet at claming crosses and I think that's very harsh.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2014, 12:03:49 AM »
There isnt that many decent keepers in the league really. Mignolet is in the spotlight at the moment but Southampton spent 10m on Fraser Forster who really is useless.

De Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Begovic probably the best four. Hart has dropped back over the last couple of years. Guzan is in the chasing pack along with the likes of Speroni.
I was just thinking today about the sad state of English goalkeepers. We used to be completely blessed in that department. In fact I ended up watching that BBC history of Aston Villa doc earlier today (posted on another thread). It got me to thinking what a crime it was that Rimmer and Spink only got a cap each. Either one could waltz in as England no 1 compared to the current crop.

I actually think the standard of keepers is really high throughout the league, there's no joke keepers around apart from at Liverpool seemingly.

I remember last season on another site I started a thread on where you'd rank the 20 keepers and it was pretty tough, people were lazily putting the likes of Speroni and David Marshall near the bottom and both have excellent seasons in the end.

The standard of keeping was a lot worse in the league 5 years ago. You had Scott Carson as a number one as example....

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #454 on: December 17, 2014, 06:56:54 AM »
English keepers are on the decline generally but there are quite a few good ones in the league

It was a lot easier to command the box in the old days when people used to loop a mitre delta high into the box

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #455 on: December 17, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
I don't think he deserves to be dropped. He's been great overall since he's been in the side, I'd leave him in. Besides whenever Given get's a game, which is normally the cups, we tend to lose.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #456 on: December 17, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »
I think they need to work on when he receives the ball and try to make him more comfortable on the ball. He appears to get panicky when the ball goes back to him even when there's not a grerat deal of pressure and he punts it anywhere.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #457 on: December 17, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »
It was a lot easier to command the box in the old days when people used to loop a mitre delta high into the box
Not sure about that - it was also quite difficult knowing that John Hartson or Duncan Ferguson were about to barge you into the middle of next week without any punishment.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #458 on: December 17, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
Not sure about that - it was also quite difficult knowing that John Hartson or Duncan Ferguson were about to barge you into the middle of next week without any punishment.

I remember Jimmy Rimmer once being clattered by Cyrille Regis (fairly) and he was down for about 3 minutes. After the game he said he was the strongest player physically he had ever faced and that he was shaking for several minutes after the collision. Many teams at that time had players who could clatter keepers into A&E when they felt the need.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #459 on: December 17, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »
the idea of dropping Guzan is as mad as the idea that Lambert is doing a good job

Offline supertom

« Reply #460 on: December 17, 2014, 04:08:38 PM »

I remember Jimmy Rimmer once being clattered by Cyrille Regis (fairly) and he was down for about 3 minutes. After the game he said he was the strongest player physically he had ever faced and that he was shaking for several minutes after the collision. Many teams at that time had players who could clatter keepers into A&E when they felt the need.
Ref's protect keepers quite a lot these days too. In a man to man challenge they will always get the benefit of doubt. They used to get clattered here there and everywhere in a good box tustle. If you look at keepers like De Gea and Hart, both very svelt, 20-30 years ago they'd get mullered by your typical front man or attacking CH.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #461 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
He's been shakier this season than at any time since the MON days but it hasn't been that alarming and dropping him could only do him harm. He's very good. Every keeper drops clangers from time to time.

Offline peter w

« Reply #462 on: December 17, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
This remains one of the best saves i've ever seen.

Yep.

Even better when you notice that as the ball was headed he was on the wrong foot. This should be shown over and over in clips of the best saves of all time.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:26:11 PM by peter w »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #463 on: December 17, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
He's been shakier this season than at any time since the MON days
I'd say that even the shakiness in the MoN days is exaggerated. The 6-4 match against Blackburn was catastrophic, but other than that I don't remember him ever being anything other than competent and at times outstanding (Prague, Sunderland etc)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #464 on: December 17, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »
He was ropey at home to Brighton iirc. And Rapid at home.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:57:53 PM by PeterWithesShin »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal