collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188825 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #420 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
All this farting around with passing the ball to the fullbacks (who are stood just a few feet off the line) can't help his confidence.

Playing the ball out of defence is an admirable idea but it just doesn't suit Villa's full backs and its Brad who ends up looking like he's put his teammates under pressure.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #421 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
Brad just needs a kick up the arse - I also doubt whether Shay Given also has the quality these days to keep Brad on his toes enough.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #422 on: December 15, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
I wouldn't drop him. No way. He might have made an error against Leicester but he also pull off a top class save which helped us take home three points.

As TV says, he's got a lot of credit in the bank and he was also instrumental in us going 6 unbeaten.

Given is a fine keeper, but he's 38, ring rusty and would you really want to bring him back during a hectic Xmas period?

Shay needs to play the FA Cup tie, get his gloves warm. If Guzan's credit is running low at that point then we can drop him a few games, but I think he'll be fine. No keeper is error proof.

Guzan was just as instrumental as Benteke in keeping us up the previous two seasons. He's dragged us through countless games that we've lost a grip of.

Agree with this.

Offline LTA

« Reply #423 on: December 15, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »
Problem is its complecancy from Guzan. Given is winding his career down and Steer is out on loan

I've always said that Guzan is at best a squad player, and certainly not good enough to be an unchallenged number 1 choice.

Its a position we really need to look at in January.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #424 on: December 15, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
I wouldn't even put goalkeeper in the top five positions we need to look at in January.

Yeah, he's having a bad patch, but it won't go on forever, and he has enough credit in the bank to be trusted, surely?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #425 on: December 15, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »
GK isn't a position you look at unless you are about to make a change to your number one. It's not like you rotate keepers, you either start or don't start them, and given we have so many other pressing concerns I wouldn't even contemplate a change at that position. I don't think he's been complacent. He's just not been up to his incredibly high standards that we have all come to expect and in a way spoiled by. He's come to our rescue us on so many occasions with world class saves. Let's not get on his back, and instead get behind him. Put better players in front of him and things will improve.

Offline LTA

« Reply #426 on: December 15, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
I wouldn't even put goalkeeper in the top five positions we need to look at in January.

Yeah, he's having a bad patch, but it won't go on forever, and he has enough credit in the bank to be trusted, surely?

But what if he gets injured?  It would leave us with Given who has barely played for 2 seasons and Steer who has little PL experience.

I'd say its an area which needs looking at.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #427 on: December 15, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
I'd say those two are better number 2 and 3 keepers than virtually anyone else has in the country.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #428 on: December 15, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »

But what if he gets injured?  It would leave us with Given who has barely played for 2 seasons and Steer who has little PL experience.

I'd say its an area which needs looking at.

How much experience does your third choice goalkeeper need to have?

The what if he gets injured thing is a bit of a red herring. How often do goalkeepers actually get injured, and in which way is Guzan likely to get injured?

I'd like us to have a range of quality options for every position, but Given as number two is easily enough. I can't see any real need at all to spend January prioritising a goal keeper when we have far more pressing needs elsewhere.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #429 on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
GK isn't a position you look at unless you are about to make a change to your number one. It's not like you rotate keepers, you either start or don't start them, and given we have so many other pressing concerns I wouldn't even contemplate a change at that position. I don't think he's been complacent. He's just not been up to his incredibly high standards that we have all come to expect and in a way spoiled by. He's come to our rescue us on so many occasions with world class saves. Let's not get on his back, and instead get behind him. Put better players in front of him and things will improve.

Also, I'd add that if the games were are criticising Guzan for include his error for Leicester's goal, then you also need to factor in the absolutely top drawer save he pulled out to stop that David Nugent shot.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #430 on: December 15, 2014, 12:49:26 PM »
Clark deflected the ball against Leicester which changed the line of the ball. He had to change his direction to stop it going in as an OG. It was hardly a glaring error.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #431 on: December 15, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »
I don't blame Brad for the Leicester goal, what exactly was he meant to do when it took a deflection so close to him? His dealing with crosses and kicking are what have gone downhill, his shot stopping is still excellent.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024

Offline LTA

« Reply #433 on: December 15, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
I don't blame Brad for the Leicester goal, what exactly was he meant to do when it took a deflection so close to him? His dealing with crosses and kicking are what have gone downhill, his shot stopping is still excellent.

I think shot stopping is the very least you expect from a keeper.  His distribution is poor and his command of the area equally so.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #434 on: December 15, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
This remains one of the best saves i've ever seen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal