collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread  (Read 68663 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Aston Villa v Everton Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
Pretty damn woeful overall. We showed in the last 20 minutes that we can at least play football when the intensity has gone out of the game. But it could have been 6 or 7 there.

The only positives for me were holman's movement second half, KEA second half and I thought baker looked decent. I'd also hope that's enough to convince that we desperately need a couple of quality players

Bent and cnz were really bad I thought.

Would probably play a first xi v tranmere to try and get some team play going. I reckon

Fuzzy - low ton vlaar baker lichaj - Holman kea delph cnz - bent Weimann

Offline Summers

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
Lerner needs to get the chequebook out. Right now.

Baker, Weimann, Ron & KEA looked good. Bannan, Clark, Holman & Bent need to do more.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:01:43 PM by Summers »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »
We look utterly inept in most areas on the pitch.  We slightly improved towards the end of the game but the game was over by half time. 

If we don't strengthen it's going to be yet another piss poor season.

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
We need to spend a lot of cash. The players we have are just no where near good enough. We have a good manager but he can not work miracles.

What we do or more to the point dont do in the last few days of the transfer window, will be crucial as to what division we play football in next season

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »
Hopefully we are approaching the bottom of the barrel. Either that or we are sitting in the middle of it. It was never going to be easy, and it's really going to hit home to Lambert that we are a long way off being a competitive side in this league. To think only 5 short years ago we were looking every bit as strong as Everton were today. There needs to be some soul searching followed by some spending between now and the 31st.

Offline AvFc4eVeR

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »
Randy out!

Its becoming blatantly obvious that he is just giving us fans what we want without spending any money. We wanted Eck out, he went, We wanted Lambert, he got him, We want Lambert to be backed financially.....? If he doesnt back him next week and we have to face the rest of the season with this squad we will be relegated, there is no arguement! Also, if he doesnt back him next week, its obvious he doesnt really care about Aston Villa!

Put up the cash, Or fuck off far away from OUR club!

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
Discussion pointless. We need 3 or 4 decent players just to keep us up and ensure we are better than 3 other teams. That is the reality of it, even this early in the season. Utterly depressing, I could lose all interest quite easily..

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »
End of the day you can go on and on about balancing books but I tell you what that will be a fuck load harder if we go down ..and we will with that team

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »
Well I expected to loose so...  I think the early goal killed us and then Given’s fuck up compounded things.  If you’re two down in a game that a draw would have been a good result then it’s pretty much all over. 

Early days but the signs are not good.  I was confident that this squad would not see us relegated but based on the first two games it would be too big a risk to continue with just these player so Randy will have to find some more cash.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Terrible.

If anyone was in any doubt of the need to strengthen the squad and didn't see that, they should watch that playback of that match on Sky tonight.

Moyes has put together a good squad and side over years, and Everton look better than I've seen them for a while, but we made it so very easy for them. The first half was as embarassing to watch as anything last season. It was just dire, we didn't string two passes together, and 0-3 flattered us.

Slight improvement the last ten minutes or so, but Everton had taken their foot off the gas, and it was all much too late.

Given gave another hint it might be Guzan time soon. Vlaar looked ok. Clark looked poor. Lowton did ok. Baker was our best performer, I thought.

The entire front six looked piss poor. N'Zogbia looks more and more like a waste of money, Bannan spent his time playing 60 yard passes to nobody, KEA looked withdrawn and overawed, and Herd looked like a passenger. Bent spent the game in a different post code again, and Delfouneso contributed absolutely nothing.

Early days yet, but i fear Lambert has a huge job on his hands. Our squad is made up of coasting established pros who don't seem to care too much, young kids who (for the main part) have failed to show anything like the promise we thought they would, and players who just are not good enough.

If Lerner thinks he doesn't need to spend, he's kidding himself.

A few tiny positives. Weimann looked lively and was unlucky not to score, KEA came into the match more and scored a belter, Baker looks more and more promising, and that's it.

None of the possession football we saw last week, it was a brutal reminder of just how poor we are.

Offline myf

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »
All the pre season optimism evaporates.  think Lambert will bin Bannan, Given, fonz and Charles now which needs to happen. reinforcements needed urgently

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
I think it's quite clear that El-Ahmadi massively improved when Bannan came off. So I think Bannan was just in his way.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »
C'mon...we won that 1-0 in the second half with 10 men!!!

First half didnt count cos I had my fingers crossed

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »
Only going to be one winner with the two teams on show. Very, very weak first team. The only plus I can take is that Lambert can spot talent.

No way in the world can he address all the problems in a week.

I'd say we are in a little bit of trouble.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 05:04:52 PM »
We were totally outplayed in midfield. Everton passed the ball better, worked harder, found space and closed down better than we did.

Howler (or two) from Given aside, the back four definitely looks a lot better than last year. Baker alongside Vlaar with Lichaj on the left looks the best combination to me.

Baker played well throughout. It's pushing it to expect so many ex academy players to form a good PL team, but there are definitely some that are worth persevering with.

We probably do has issues to resolve up front, but the priority has to be sorting out a decent midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal