collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unpopular Villa players  (Read 44231 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Unpopular Villa players
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:19:14 PM »
never nice to see fans turning on their own players but sometimes it just cant be avoided.  Plus these are multi millionaire professionals paid to perform, it isnt sunday league.

anyhow I guess hutton and warnock would be two very unpopular players at Villa Park at the moment. Both terrible footballers whose best days have long since past. I was at Spurs a few years back when Harewood came on. We won 2-1 that game but he had a farcical cameo appearance as sub that had everyone around me pretty much laughing at him and how shit he was.

What other standout unpopular players were there over the years and which of them were a little hard done by?

Emile Heskey effectively stole a living from the club for the years he was at the Villa but never seemed to really get it in the neck for some reason.

Offline luke25

Re: Unpopular Villa players
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
Emile Heskey effectively stole a living from the club for the years he was at the Villa but never seemed to really get it in the neck for some reason.
We knew he was shit and he knew he was shit so I think there was just an acceptance there.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Hutton has the misfortune of being the defining player of TSM's era and will never recover the favour of the fans. Warnock runs him a close second but neither come anywhere near H***e.

Some players have a lack of ability, some players have a lack of integrity.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »
As well as all the usual suspects, Nigel Callaghan. Wanker.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
I don't think Heskey was really unpopular. He just wasn't very good and came to us at the tail end of his career. Had he been the player he was at Leicester or Liverpool we'd have been quite happy. When it comes to unpopular, in the true sense of the word, he really shouldn't be part of the discussion in my opinion. There are numerous other players in our past that we could nominate.

Online Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »
I still cannot stand Stephen Ireland. I want to be able to like him, but I cannot get over the way he disrespected Villa - and he has still never produced any sort of consistent form. I still think it will all end in tears.

i also find his refusal to play for his country to be more than odd, too.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
Of the current bunch, Ireland and Hutton aren't very high on my Christmas card list, neither are Bannan and Dunne, due to their behavior over the past couple of years. Add Collins to that little crew and that is pretty much half the team from last year. Any wonder they haven't had the best of support of the last two seasons.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
I wouldn't say he's unpopular, but given his heroic status on here, I find it a little strange that the match-going fans haven't really taken to Bent.

Online nigel

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
Years ago my Dad had a chap sitting near him who couldn't stand Sid Cowans.
He said it was incredible, didn't matter how well he played there would be something to nark this chap. If he pinged a 40 yarder to a team mate this bloke would moan that he should have taken the easier option.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »
Jlloyd Samuel seems to stick in my mind, there'd be someone sat by me that shouted "you're f**king useless Jlloyd" as soon as he took his first touch every game.  Talk about encouragement.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »
Paul Mortimer, great second name though.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
Jlloyd Samuel seems to stick in my mind, there'd be someone sat by me that shouted "you're f**king useless Jlloyd" as soon as he took his first touch every game.  Talk about encouragement.

I remember rowing with about 6 tossers in front of me who were giving Samuel dogs abuse in a cup game against Port Vale.

Offline rutski

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
i have a problem with this thread and the likes of hutton and warnock being mentioned. i wouldnt ever accuse either of them of not giving their all for the club but because the quality isnt quite there that is their managers fault for playing them.
to ever be bracketed with the likes of callaghan, hodge etc is wrong.
i agree both need to be replaced but neither should ever be put into the same category as the tossers mentioned above. far too quickly everyone wants a scapegoat and these are the ones we are going to pressure now!
people with short memories should think how stephen ireland has had 10 good games with the club and slagged us off, gone on loan and wanted to sign elsewhere to all of a sudden being fans player of the year, bollocks imo, and people mentioning him as a future captain and building the team round him.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 06:13:18 PM »
Alpay - badge kissing bag of bollocks .

Offline andyaston

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
Hodge and Callaghan have to be in the Gold and Silver positions.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal