collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa announce friendly against German side Werder Bremen  (Read 37515 times)

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
Re: Villa announce friendly against German side Werder Bremen
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
Nice to see people from here today at the game, my first pre season match,our style of play has certainly changed since Norwich.
I didn't think the German bombers song was sang by the majority of people IMO. Most of us were a bit embarrassed to be honest although even the guys who were singing it weren't doing it maliciously, just as a misguided pxxxtake.
We have much to learn from the way they 'do' footy in Germany. It looks completely different to what we see in the UK. Lots of families, yet even more booze around than at home.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
Absolutely disgusted. Here in the stadium in Bremen hundreds of our fans are singing Ten German Bombers. Childish, pathetic.

We had some pond life in Nottingham last week as well!
Damn right we did,was embrassed at times in town that day

I totally agree with both posts. As for today, why people have to bring the war into things is ridiculous. They know nothing about it. When I watch programmes about those who fought in it, I regularly hear old servicemen showing respect to their old enemy. The muppets let the side down today.

It all smells a bit Small Heath Alliance doesn't it. I wish we could leave all this kind of shit to them.
As a club we are better (or should be above) than that kind of neanderthal behaviour. Assholes.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Absolutely disgusted. Here in the stadium in Bremen hundreds of our fans are singing Ten German Bombers. Childish, pathetic.
[/quote

Very disappointing to hear that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:24:47 PM by Billy Walker »

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
Before and after the game the Villa and Werder fans got on very well together and it was lovely waliking along the river to the ground with supporters of both teams. Alan Perrins from the Lions Club really put himself out for the German Villans and arranged for them to meet some of the players afterwards. The singing of "10 German Bombers" was insulting, embarrassing and very loud (Alan could hear it from the Werder directors' box), but on balance more good was done over the weekend than harm.
As for the game -  after Forest and Werder we need to learn to defend

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »
The ten German bomber song was joined in by a large number of the supporters in the standing section. It is England fans  behaviour that I heard for the first time repeated in a Villa game in Europe. Shame on all who joined. I pointed out to a group of 3 who were bellowing out in front of me  that it was disrespectful to our hosts they dismissed it as "harmless fun".
On the other side I can't praise Werder fans enough.T They were great before and after the game and of course did a rendition of "Villa Villa" during the game. Lovely to see their friends and family oriented BBQ''s along the river bank.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »
It’d be interesting hear from anyone who joined in with the song to hear their justification.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
It’d be interesting hear from anyone who joined in with the song to hear their justification.

"You guys can't take a bit of bants? I call a spade a spade mate."

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
Please tell me nobody says 'bants'.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
I thought it was only those 'rugger' boys who partake in 'bants'?

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »
The singing of "10 German Bombers" was insulting, embarrassing and very loud (Alan could hear it from the Werder directors' box), but on balance more good was done over the weekend than harm.

Shame that this song was sung by Villa, I'd've hoped that we'd have avoided falling into that trap for English fans in Germany.

A few of my German mates actually quite enjoy the song (in that it celebrates the forces who liberated Germany from the Nazis), but it's all about context and a football game between a German and English side simply isn't an appropriate setting for what could easily be construed as baiting the opposition. Pleased to hear that more good than harm was done overall, though. It'd be nice to think Werder fans have a decent impression of our club on the whole. I certainly found them a very welcoming bunch when I was there a few years back, with plenty of Becks to lubricate some good-natured banter.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »
Sadly every football club has it's morons who follow it. It's just annoying that they're so vocal.

After the "Let Him Die" chants at WBA last season, I don't think that I'll ever be shocked again as to how low some of our idiots will stoop at away games.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »
I've been at bloodstock so missed it all. How did we play? Anyone got a match report?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
Unfortunately there are idiots at every club. I'm sure Werder have theirs. In England there are those that have no idea what the war was about or meant. They think it's a bit of fun to keep bringing it up against those that in all likelihood had nothing at all to do with it, and most of those that have links through their blood lines, are embarassed and ashamed by it. It's no different to being amongst England fans when despite having my England top on, some started to sing, I'd rather be a paki than a kraut. Lovely. People who were with me were mortified.

It's not all of them but it can seem that way. It's such a shame that we would rather sign that kind of song in the name of banter than just get behind our own lot. Because I doubt that our lads on the pitch, England or Villa, get motivated by songs against pakis and the war.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
What was the attendance and any idea how many Villa were there?

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 02:11:52 PM »
What was the attendance and any idea how many Villa were there?

I think it was 22,700 + and I'm guessing we had between 100 and 150 there.  Could have been more.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal