collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:30:25 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:26:17 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:22:21 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 03:20:13 PM]

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:30:25 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:26:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ducksworthy
[Today at 03:24:46 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:24:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 03:23:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 03:23:10 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:22:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:20:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret & blue: the history?  (Read 30656 times)

Offline VillaSpen

Re: Claret & blue: the history?
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2012, 05:28:21 AM »
Surely it would have been more appropriate for the Rags down the road? Where every week is rag-week.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
Crystal palace also was claret and blue at one time

It was C&B for most of their history. In fairness they had some nice kits in those days.

It's also a little known fact that Albion wore claret and blue before we did. Apparently.

I can't have that!  That 1874-77 Villa kit is claret and blue enough for me to conclude we wore the colours first!

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »

It was C&B for most of their history. In fairness they had some nice kits in those days.

It's also a little known fact that Albion wore claret and blue before we did. Apparently.

I can't have that!  That 1874-77 Villa kit is claret and blue enough for me to conclude we wore the colours first!
I think that PWS must be a closet Baggie to come up with something like that on a Villa forum. :D

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »

I think that PWS must be a closet Baggie to come up with something like that on a Villa forum. :D

Or maybe I just looked at historical kits?

Online Astral Weeks

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Aston_Villa/Aston_Villa.htm

1874 - 77
The first kit.

1878 -79
My favourite of the non claret & blue.

April 1884?-1886 
Described as "piebald"

The team's first colours were described as "scarlet and royal blue stripes" (i.e. hoops - vertical stripes did not appear until the 1880s). The following season they wore black and white tops and in 1878 they purchased a set of black shirts emblazoned with the Scottish lion rampant. William McGregor actually went to Scotland to purchase the lion motifs and they were subsequently sewn on by the sister of the club secretary (ref: The Aston Villa Chronicles).

John Lerwill's research suggests that vertically striped in black and white were worn from at least May 1886 (and probably considerably earlier) while Bernard Gallagher has uncovered evidence that " piebald shirts" in white and red were perhaps worn before the striped tops appeared. Gauntlett has found a reference in the Birmingham Gazette dated 5 April 1884 that describes Villa playing against West Brom "in a brand new and pretty uniform." Alas the writer gives no further detail but it may be he was referring to the first use of the piebald tops. Given the scarcity of original references it is hard to be certain so the graphics presented above are to a degree, provisional.

I think the cap with the little tassel should make a comeback. They could be made of satin. I can just see James Collins wearing one at a jaunty angle.

Offline VillaVal

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »
I understood that Claret and Blue were the colours of William MacGregors family tartan. As he founded Aston Villa (and the FL) he chose those colours.

Offline nigel

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »

Flippin' heck, he's only right (that's if historical kits is right)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »
I grew up believing the club's colours to be claret and sky blue.

If it helps, the headline in the 'other' Birmingham Saturday sports paper (the light blue one) after the 57 final read something like 'A Claret and Sky Blue Souvenir'. I had a copy of it which I kept for years.

Offline nigel

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2012, 08:44:11 AM »

If it helps, the headline in the 'other' Birmingham Saturday sports paper (the light blue one) after the 57 final read something like 'A Claret and Sky Blue Souvenir'. I had a copy of it which I kept for years.

Wasn't the "'other' Birmingham Saturday sports paper (the light blue one)" just a cup winners special Argus?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »
Well i grew up being told that when the founding fathers (originally the Wenslyan chapel????) of our club met in a handsworth public house the colours of the tiles in the gents was indeed claret and blue and that was where the colours came from?

Dont tell me i have lived a lie all my life?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
I understood that Claret and Blue were the colours of William MacGregors family tartan. As he founded Aston Villa (and the FL) he chose those colours.

A theory which falls down on the fact that the MacGregor tartan isn't claret and blue.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »

Wasn't the "'other' Birmingham Saturday sports paper (the light blue one)" just a cup winners special Argus?

It could well be the case. I don't remember the match (I was 6), and I don't remember ever seeing a Saturday sports paper in the newsagents other than the Argus.

My dad had saved the two newspapers for me - there was, of course, an Argus edition with the match report.

The Mail and Despatch were separate newspapers at the time, I assumed each had their own Saturday sports papers.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »

It could well be the case. I don't remember the match (I was 6), and I don't remember ever seeing a Saturday sports paper in the newsagents other than the Argus.

My dad had saved the two newspapers for me - there was, of course, an Argus edition with the match report.

The Mail and Despatch were separate newspapers at the time, I assumed each had their own Saturday sports papers.

Quite correct re the two sports papers - The two dailies were the Birmingham Mail & The Evening Despatch - and I am sure they had a sports paper each...

"Gitcha Spatchermaillll"  When they merged, the paper for a while was The Birmingham Evening Mail & Despatch" - but they soon dropped that....

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
I have the front page of the Sports Argus for that match framed. 'It's a record and Villa deserve it.'

Offline TonyD

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »
Best colours in the world. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal