collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:43:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we been in denial?  (Read 33059 times)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Have we been in denial?
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
Have we been in denial ?
Here is what we were saying/predicting in August.

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=44383.0

The answer is YES...the majority of us got it massively and embarassingly wrong.

thats because we were all willing to give the new manager a chance

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »
Have we been in denial ?
Here is what we were saying/predicting in August.

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=44383.0

The answer is YES...the majority of us got it massively and embarassingly wrong.
I said 14th and I was being very pessimistic at the time

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »
I found mine and I went for 8th.  Earlier in this thread I said we should have been aiming for around 9th.  At least I'm consistent, even if totally wrong!       

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »
Regardless if many of us wanted N'Zogbia here (fair play to anyone who still has the N' prefix to their name...I think most people got rid of it, sheepishly and sharpish) it's McLeish who gets paid a million quid a year after tax to make the right decision. The way Zoggy messed him about following his u-turn on a move to Blose previously was, perhaps, an indicator.
You may think he's gubbins Greg but he showed at Wigan that he's a very talented player. It's up to the manager to get that talent out of him on a regular basis. And he hasn't managed it.
Nzogbia is a misfit, he showed at Wigan that he had the odd decent game,  he has not produced regularly since his early period at Newcastle. MOTD syndrome

Exacly right Hawkeye.  Even a Wigan he only really showed glimpses of his talent.  He put together a bit of a run at the end of the season, scored a few goals and that was enough for Dave Whelan to royally screw us, which let's face it, he seems to enjoy.

It seems the Wigan fans must have been laughing inside their sleeves as well, then, as I don't remember any one of them mentioning the weaknesses listed here.  All the reports I saw said we were getting a good player who would prove to be better than Downing was for us.

Offline not3bad

« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2012, 12:12:30 PM »
I think what has dissapointed me most about N'Zogbia is his unwillingness to put in a cross.  He practically always has to cut in.

EDIT: Though I suppose that might be down to the fact that he's playing on the right when he's left footed.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
I think what has dissapointed me most about N'Zogbia is his unwillingness to put in a cross.  He practically always has to cut in.

I always thought the same with Mark Walters. Is it because a burst on the outside is more likely to result in a solid chopping down by the full back?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »

EDIT: Though I suppose that might be down to the fact that he's playing on the right when he's left footed.

I find it difficult to remember occasions when N'Zogbia has been within 5 yards of the by line, let alone right close to it attempting to cross a ball pulled back away from the keeper and forcing defenders to stretch for a ball angled away from them. Hutton has done this more than N'Zogbia.

Offline pestria

« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »
The gist of the OP's question is shoule we be in a better position given the resources available?

A few points:

The signings....  Friedal needed replacing, a wide player was needed to supply Bent and we've been saying for ages the RB position needed sorting.   Up to this point I'd say he did OK in spotting what the priorities were, but then we come to the midfield....

He inherited a squad with one, ageing, proven midfielder.  He released a couple of young possibles (Makoun and Delph).  As a result he was overly reliant on Ireland and Jenas.  Given jenas's injury record he was in effect relying on kids from outset in the centre of the park - a suicidal risk.

Then we come to the management and tactics as the season has progressed.  Scraping results with the myriad of injuries and a team of kids over the past few games is probably exceeding their capabilities (if not expectations).   

The real problem was the total negativity and underperformance in the first half to two-thirds of the season.   The list is almost endless - Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton, Ireland (no goals - ?no assists) , N'Zog, Gabby, Heskey - of players who have contributed close to nothing all season.    Admittedly a few of these didn't become bad players overnight (Dunne and Heskey were well past their sell-by date) but the others have seriously under performed. 

AMc has been either unable to motivate or tactically organise the senior players.  For that reason we have underperformed and for that reason he must take responsibility.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »
The gist of the OP's question is shoule we be in a better position given the resources available?

A few points:

The signings....  Friedal needed replacing, a wide player was needed to supply Bent and we've been saying for ages the RB position needed sorting.   Up to this point I'd say he did OK in spotting what the priorities were, but then we come to the midfield....

He inherited a squad with one, ageing, proven midfielder.  He released a couple of young possibles (Makoun and Delph).  As a result he was overly reliant on Ireland and Jenas.  Given jenas's injury record he was in effect relying on kids from outset in the centre of the park - a suicidal risk.

Then we come to the management and tactics as the season has progressed.  Scraping results with the myriad of injuries and a team of kids over the past few games is probably exceeding their capabilities (if not expectations).   

The real problem was the total negativity and underperformance in the first half to two-thirds of the season.   The list is almost endless - Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton, Ireland (no goals - ?no assists) , N'Zog, Gabby, Heskey - of players who have contributed close to nothing all season.    Admittedly a few of these didn't become bad players overnight (Dunne and Heskey were well past their sell-by date) but the others have seriously under performed. 

AMc has been either unable to motivate or tactically organise the senior players.  For that reason we have underperformed and for that reason he must take responsibility.

Ireland has scored 1 goal and had at least 2 assists
Otherwise agree

Offline pestria

« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »

A few points:

Otherwise agree

Thanks - but this isn't saying much for a player who is viewed by many as the player of the season - best of a bad lot?

Offline not3bad

« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
The list is almost endless - Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton, Ireland (no goals - ?no assists) , N'Zog, Gabby, Heskey - of players who have contributed close to nothing all season.    Admittedly a few of these didn't become bad players overnight (Dunne and Heskey were well past their sell-by date) but the others have seriously under performed. 

Agree with this.  Instead of "Are we in Denial" this thread should have been called, "Who is more to blame, the players or the manager".  I'm inclined to blame the manager.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »

A few points:

Otherwise agree

Thanks - but this isn't saying much for a player who is viewed by many as the player of the season - best of a bad lot?
Personally I'd give that award to Herd but Ireland would be second.As you say there is very little to choose from.Long gone are the days when we had players making the PFA team of the year and winning young Player of the year

Thanks again Randy.Our fall from grace has been quite spectacular and sadly completely avoidable.Complete and utter negligence

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
Given that not all the fees are public there's a little guesswork involved but if you go through our squad as is (including Makoun) it comes out to a value around £90m in fees paid.

I think we can all agree that there is some waste in there but even still, a squad that has cost that much to assemble shouldn't be involved in a relegation fight so no we're not in denial, we're a better squad than is being shown.

Yes we had problems last season, but that was under a manager who was wanting to play a type of football that many of our players wouldn't have been suited to, which caused a lot of friction in the squad.

A lot of the players we have are, in my opinion, the type of players McLeish would buy himself so for me the 'he needs time to build a squad of his own' argument doesn't wash.

Offline not3bad

« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
BTW, had to check, somebody has done the "No we're in De Amazon" joke right?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
BTW, had to check, somebody has done the "No we're in De Amazon" joke right?
We're all in despair at the moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal