collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who do you want as the next manager? New poll option.  (Read 1432127 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Who do you want as the next manager?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »
If we're looking at The Championship, we could consider that baldy bloke at Reading who help's host Masterchef.

That'll be Brian McDermott

I think we'd taste more success with Gregg Wallace.

Offline villanic

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
get rid of faulkner and bring back MON and a decent CEO!!! >:(

God no, don't want to see him waste more millions on average players

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »
get rid of faulkner and bring back MON and a decent CEO!!! >:(

I Scoobydoobydont want that prick back, thank you very much.

Offline bill

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
if we are ever going to take a punt on a up and coming manager then Carl Robinson at the MK Dons has done miracles there, and his football philosophy is pass and move

I have still nightmares about graham turner- i dont mind going for a younger modern manager but mk dons is too big a gap in stature in my opinion.

Clough came from Hartlepool Utd, Moyes from Preston NE, Shankly from Workington,Atkinson from Cambridge Utd, Little from Darlington. Ron Saunders, by the way, started his managerial career at Yeovil Town. There may well be a big gap in the relative stature of the clubs. But that doesn't mean that the managers of those clubs can't do very well at a higher level.   

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
He has fucked us over once.   There is no way he should be given the chance to do it a second time.   Much as I regard McLeish as completely out of his depth I would sooner keep him than have O'Neill back as a matter of principle.

Offline Archie

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 02:29:37 PM »
Last summer my first choice would be Paul Lambert (even if many Villa fans laughed at me then) and still I'm convnced that he'd be the right Scottish for the job (http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=45075.msg1905474#msg1905474).
Alternatively, Brendan Rodgers.
And, third, Roberto Mancini is my childhood hero.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
He has fucked us over once.   There is no way he should be given the chance to do it a second time.   Much as I regard McLeish as completely out of his depth I would sooner keep him than have O'Neill back as a matter of principle.

If we ever had MON back, we'd lose far too much of our dignity.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »
I suspect Lerner will back McLeish in the summer (not that I agree with that).

Brendan Rodgers would be my first choice with Lambert and Andre Villas Boas also considered. If for whatever reason we couldn't get one of those there are still better options - even Lee Clark who had Huddersfield playing good football and picked out Jordan Rhodes from nowhere. Foreign managers shouldn't be dismissed just because they don't have Premier League experience either - Bilbao's manager for one would have been a great appointment.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »
You would also lose me and I regard myself as a die hard of die hards.

Offline bodkins14

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
I'm going to throw a name in Unai Emery, the manager of Valencia apart from the big 2 in Spain he has done a fantastic job. He has had to work on a very tight budget due to the clubs massive financial problems but has a superb record.
He has probably got a bit of knowledge in the overseas market to, I believe he's been there since 2008 ish and you never know he may fancy a challenge. I thInk he's in his early 40's so is up and coming his teams know how to battle and grInd out results and not just draws either. All comments welcome

Offline Summers

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »
Paul Lambert is my top choice. I'd also take a look at Adkins, should Southampton let us.

Emery would be crazy to leave Valencia for us, btw.

Offline eastie

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »
if we are ever going to take a punt on a up and coming manager then Carl Robinson at the MK Dons has done miracles there, and his football philosophy is pass and move.
I have still nightmares about graham turner- i dont mind going for a younger modern manager but mk dons is too big a gap in stature in my opinion.

Clough came from Hartlepool Utd, Moyes from Preston NE, Shankly from Workington,Atkinson from Cambridge Utd, Little from Darlington. Ron Saunders, by the way, started his managerial career at Yeovil Town. There may well be a big gap in the relative stature of the clubs. But that doesn't mean that the managers of those clubs can't do very well at a higher level.   

True but the game has changed a lot since the days of clough and shankly- mk dons to villa is too big a leap in my eyes.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:48:37 PM by eastie »

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
Chris Hughton...........

Offline bill

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
if we are ever going to take a punt on a up and coming manager then Carl Robinson at the MK Dons has done miracles there, and his football philosophy is pass and move.

True but the game has changed a lot since the days of clough and shankly- mk dons to villa is too big a leap in my eyes.

I lived through those eras. Trust me, the gap between Workington and the Liverpool that Shanks built was pretty enormous.Ability isn't confined by the stature of a lowly club. Indeed I think the best managers are those who work their way up. The trick is to spot them early. That means taking a punt. Not too sure we have anyone at the club who can either spot em or get em. But we live in hope.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »
I'm going for David Blunkett.  At least he knows how to hold onto a lead.

I'll get my coat

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal