collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 02:42:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 02:42:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by martin o`who??
[Today at 02:42:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 02:42:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 02:42:15 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Smirker
[Today at 02:42:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 02:42:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer budget for next season  (Read 19917 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Transfer budget for next season
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
Our problem this summer is we only have the option of flogging Darren Bent to fill the pot.

Well, him or Gabby.

But the other players still under contract who I'd be OK with seeing go are Dunne, Warnock, Makoun, Delph and the Fonz.  Got to be circa £10m in there!

I thin kwe would be selling bent at a loss...

there must be sell on clause etc to sunderland, he hasnt had the best season, is injured and wont make th euros...

And gabby cant fetch more than 7 - 8mil in today market? (Reason is the top 6 wnt want him) and nobody else has money except maybe QPR?

If you look at Bent's goals to games record since we signed him, I don't think his value will have decreased.  We'd want at least what we paid, which was top dollar, so I can't see anyone else paying it, except maybe Liverpool.  And I'd want £10m for Gabby.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2012, 10:31:20 AM »
From what I understand Hughes and Randy didn't hit it off in the interview process and the likes of Benitez and Ancelotti didn't want to work with the wage reduction constraints that had to happen. Moyes was interested but felt too much loyalty to Everton (my guess is he didn't want to leave only to have more financial restrictions: With a bigger carrott dangled he may have done but that's just a guess).
Martinez was interested but had agreed and gave his word that upon survival the season prior, he would stay at Wigan.
So we were left with the bottom of the pile and unfortunately Randy and McLeish did hit it off and he was of course willing to stick it out with the financial restrictions.

You can blame O'Neill for most of that, I know I do. Firstly for putting us in the position and then for running away. But Randy has to shoulder a lot of it for letting him run amok with the finances and also for limiting the search to Premier League managers. Then opting for one of the worst choices he could have made. Anyway, that's been done to death. Just thought I'd share what I know.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
Bent & Nzog for £20m combined Risso?

Offline Merv

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
I'd want to keep both Bent and N'Zogbia.

The 'outs' for me over the summer would be:

Heskey
Guzan
Cuellar
Marshall
all out of contract and released (shame about Cuellar)

Sell
Dunne
Warnock (both players with a year left on their contracts, can probably get £2-3m each for them)
Makoun (decent player but his ship has sailed with us, I think: £3-4m for him because I believe his pedigree overseas is fairly high)
Delfouneso (a shame, again, but not working out for him: £1m from a Championship club)

I'd consider offers for Delph, too - if good enough, would be tempted to sell as we haven't seen a lot in three seasons. I'm divided on him because I'd be satisfied if we decide to persevere with him.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »

I'd say that's about right.  Say £13m for Bent, £7m for N'Zog.  Maybe a couple of million more.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
25m+

Randy has sorted the wage bill, his MBNA shares have quadrupled

They (now Bank of America) have doubled, so we are half way there. Seriously though, I am sure that the price of BofA stock is relevant to the amount of money available to Villa.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »

I'd say that's about right.  Say £13m for Bent, £7m for N'Zog.  Maybe a couple of million more.

He's scored something like 19 goals in around 40 games for us, so I don;t see how his value would have dropped?

Given the season he's had, £7m for N'Zogbia might be about right if we cashed in.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
I think it will be about £10.1m

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »
Just having a bit of fun.

Possible Villa squad for next season...

Given, Kuszczak, Siegrist
Hutton, Lichaj, Collins, Douglas, van Dijk, Clark, Baker, Pander, Stevens, Williams
Flamini, Guthrie, Delph, Herd, Gardner, Johnson, Bannan,
Holman, Albrighton, Hoilett, Ireland, Carruthers,
Carroll, Agbonlahor, Dost, Weimann, Burke

Gone from 11/12 squad:
Guzan, Marshall, Dunne, Warnock, Cuellar, Beye, Jenas, Makoun, Petrov (unfortunately), N'Zogbia, Heskey, Bent (have a feeling the swap deal with Carroll might happen), Delfouneso (a shame)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »

He's scored something like 19 goals in around 40 games for us, so I don;t see how his value would have dropped?

Given the season he's had, £7m for N'Zogbia might be about right if we cashed in.

I think Bent is seen as a limited footballer by the big teams, which is why I can't see any of them coming in for him.  Could see him going to somewhere like Stoke or Fulham for say £15m.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
We would have to be even more half-arsed than we actually are to consider swapping Bent for Carroll.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2012, 01:22:27 PM »

I think Bent is seen as a limited footballer by the big teams, which is why I can't see any of them coming in for him.  Could see him going to somewhere like Stoke or Fulham for say £15m.

I agree about the big teams, as they could get someone with his goal tally who doesn't rely on others providing chances for him.  But his value to us, with less than 18 months gone on his contract, is a lot more than the likes of Stoke or Fulham could afford to pay.

Offline NiiLamptey

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
You think we play long ball with Bent holding up the front line....

Just watch what happens if we had someone like Caroll up front!

EVERYTHING would be a big boot up to him to win... He doesnt get goals in a team that tries to play football so at the Villa, the way we are playing would probably make Hesky's recird look like Messi's!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
Well, I've been harping on about signing Bent for years so I dont want to lose him now. But in fairness to Carroll, Liverpool isnt right for him. How they play, his environment. Newcastle was right for him and and he was very effective.
Anyway, just a bit of fun that wouldn't be the biggest shock if it happened.
Liverpool are no longer a major force and Bent is plenty good enough for them. If he wanted to leave (otherwise I wouldn't entertain the idea) and go there, its an option. A very risky one but an option.

But keep Bent, sign Dost as the big man option and have Gabby and Weimann too and I'm happy.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »
I really can't see us selling Bent for less than what we paid, I'd be more happy to see his contract run down and lose him for free in 4 years

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal