collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eamonn Deacy - RIP  (Read 92327 times)

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Eamon Deacy - RIP
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »
Thought some of you might be interested in reading a speech Eamonn gave in January of this year after being inducted into the Hall of Fame at the Galway Sports Stars Awards, which was printed in the match programme on saturday.

Mayor, County Manager, special guests and ladies and gentlemen.

I can't believe I'm here tonight. When I first got the rumour of this award, and if I was a betting man, I'd have given odds of 1000/1 I wouldn't have been here tonight, and I would have been very sure of collecting that bet.

The reason being, I believe sports people get their pound of flesh on the field of play. All my life I've managed to dodge these awards, and I must say I've done a very good job of it - anyone out there who wants to write the book, I've all the information at home and it will be a best seller, and I'm proof of that.

When I threw all this at John McIntyre, and you can see John McIntyre is a big man, but I tell you by the time I was finished with him, he had to go on a week's holiday. I'm sure he was saying at the time I'm glad this fella hasn't a hurl in his hand. But to be fair to John he stood his ground and he said that although I had a point, this wasn't the time to prove it. He felt the people who being honoured here tonight were high achievers and were very deserving of their awards, and I didn't doubt that for one moment.

He also felt that the people who pick these awards are very passionate and had put a lot of time into it, and there aren't many journalist awards and they are occasions to say thanks to those sports people.

He also said that, and everyone knows the plight Galway United are in at the moment, and he felt they always wanted to honour soccer and he felt there was no better year than this to do it, and he felt that I was the one to receive that award.

When I thought about it, and I thought of all the fellas who played soccer in Galway, all the great players who have passed on, all the great players passing through now - and we have one here tonight in Stephen O'Donnell - and all the ones going to come through in the future, I was very chuffed and honoured to be mentioned in the same breath as them.

But when I think of these awards, I think of all the people who put the nets up and down around the country, line the pitches, turn on the showers, bring out the bottles of water, these are the guys I think of when these awards are being given out, these are the people who do not want to be recognised, they just want to do their jobs, but without them, sport wouldn't be worth playing.

Also, when I see highly professional players all around the world, being paid huge amounts of money, and showing disrespect to their teammates, to the press, not wanting to play for their country, not wanting to sign autographs for young kids, for me they have no place in the game.

When you compare them to all the subs who make all the panels all around the country, and I know enough about subs 'cause I sent enough time on the bench in Villa Park, I spent so much time there they were going to put a plaque up to me.

The excuse these give is that they are under pressure, well I'll tell you, the people who are under pressure are the people who sit on thse benches all over the country, the subs who make up all these teams - they're a manager and a coache's dream, 'cause I know, I was one of them.

They never miss a training session, they turn up for every single game, they never complain why they are not in the team, the only time they get on is when somebody is injured or somebody plays bad, and if the team loses, they are usually blamed for it, and when the medals are given out, they are usually the last to receive one, but they are the fellas who the pressure is really on.

I know from being abroad, every week, no matter how hard you train, you want to see your name on that team sheet, and when it's not you go down the corridor and knock on the manager's door and go in to see him and ask him why you're not on the team, 'cause if you don't, he'll think you're not interested.

The first thing he used to say to me was, 'well, you're always number one on my team sheet', and I felt like saying, 'don't put me on the team sheet, put me on the field of play', but if you said that you'd be out the door. These are my heroes, so when awards are being given, I think of these people.

We made great progress in sport in the last number of years but I feel we may have lost our way a bit in that we only want the best. Now there is nothing wrong with that, but I think it was the American coach Vince Lombardi, who 50 years ago quipped 'winning isn't the only thing, it's everything'.

Well, I've never adhered to that, I don't believe in that for one second. Socrates - a famous Brazilian footballer who also qualified as a doctor - died recently in his mid 50's. Socrates played the game his way, he knew you had to have the will to win, but also knew you need to entertain.

When he died recently, all these people who believe you have to win everything felt that they had the last laugh and said he was a loser because he won nothing. How wrong they were, because he was respected, loved and adored all around the world, and the greatest accolade that can be bestowed on any sportsman was that he was unique.

I'm delighted to say we in Connacht here can relate to Socrates, because as far as everybody else is concerned we have been battered and bruised but we keep coming back all the time, we play sports in the right manner, always have a smile on our face and we produce the goods.

If there was a gold medal to be given out to any province in the world, it should be given to Connacht. Although we might not get the trophy at the end of the year, if you just look around here tonight, and you see the talent we keep producing year in year out, we have the formula and long may it continue.

Also can I say when these awards are presented, the person who receives it is usually able to tell you how much they value the award. I know tonight everyone in the room is very honoured and proud to have in our presence John Treacy, a world champion and an Olympic champion, and a champion who has done it in the right and honest way.

I know sport has been tainted a bit in the last number of years, but as long as we have John Treacy looking after these games, the good will always outweigh the bad.

While I'm on the sport of athletics, we have our own Gary Thornton here competing for the marathon, and he is short a few minutes at the moment, and when the final run comes, if he is short a few seconds and John wants to bend the rules a small bit......... I can assure you, this is no slight on John or anybody, but if he does bend the rules it will go into the Guinness book of records, because it will be the first time anyone has bent the rules for anyone here in Connacht, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, the way sport is gone now, it has gone so expensive, I know the panel here and all the people involved are very delighted to have Pad McDonagh's Supermac's on board. I have great respect for Pat McDonagh, not because he sponsors these awards, which get all the publicity, but he sponsors many other awards, and he also does lots of other charity things, which never get a mention.

To sum up Pat McDonagh, everyone knows the plight Galway United is in, and he is willing to put his good name, and his good money, behind them, and that says a lot about him. He is one of our own, and long may he continue in business, and we're very proud to have him in Galway.

Another reason I was delighted to receive this award, and I say this with my hand on my heart, is that it is the first one I have received from a panel of journalists. The panel of journalists who picked this award, and those who didn't, all of them here tonight from all the different papers, and all the journalists in Connacht, I have the height of respect for them, I really have, from the first ball I ever kicked they gave me nothing but good, they have been complete behind my career, in Galway, everywhere. I've played badly, I've had injuries, I've been sent off, they've never said one bad thing.

I have the utmost respect for them, I really have, and not alone are they good journalists, they are good family men and I regard them as my true friends, and I say that from the bottom of my heart, and I am very honoured to receive an award selected by them.

When I look back now, I don't think of all the medals I won or lost - and I lost two good ones, missing out on the cup final with Galway United and a European Cup medal with Villa - I don't think of those things at all, I think of all the friends I made, and I hope I made a few enemies as well because if I didn't, I didn't do my job right, and to be honest if I was to go back, I'd make a lot more enemies.

The amount of goodwill I have received since I was nominated for this award has been overwhelming, both in Ireland and across the water - my head is so big now I couldn't get into the Ardilaun tonight, and I am very grateful for that. I'd also like to thank all my frineds, and also my family, my wife Mary, my children, my sister Mary, my brothers, my nieces, my cousins, my nephews, for the wonderful support they have given me, on the field of play, without them I wouldn't be the person I am today, and I wouldn't be the person I am today, and I wouldn't be here receiving this award tonight.

On behalf of all the sports stars here tonight I'd like to thank all their parents, all their friends, their coaches and their managers for the wonderful support and encouragement they have given.

Finally, this will probably be the last award I receive, and I'm going out on a good one, and although the night is young I'm already looking forward to next year's awards, as I know I won't be getting anything!

Thank you very much.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »
He got one thing wrong in that speech.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2012, 10:16:19 PM »
Reading that speech makes me incredibly proud to think he played for Aston Villa. A great man.

Thanks to those who have taken the time to write about the weekend.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2012, 08:56:46 AM »
Contrary to what his wiki page says, he was 57, not 53. He lied about his age when looking for a trial with the villa. A number of players remarked on it at the weekend, as they never knew at the time.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »
It's been great following this thread. Many thanks to all the posters.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »
Thanks for the post Ger. A really lovely and humble speech by Eamon.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »

Folks;  can you let me know if you can see this image?  As you may guess I'm experimenting as I don't know how to upload these images.  If not someone may be kind enough to guide me.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:17:44 PM by dave shelley »

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
Not yet Dave, sadly I am not a computer geek... mods to the shopfloor!

Offline Legion

« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2012, 07:29:47 PM »

Folks;  can you let me know if you can see this image?  As you may guess I'm experimenting as I don't know how to upload these images.  If not someone may be kind enough to guide me.

Thanks

Nope. Upload image to photobucket or similar then copy and paste the IMG code here.

Offline dave shelley

« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »

Please check this one and let me know please.

Offline Legion

« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
It's worked.

Offline dave shelley

« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
l to r Ger, Eamonn

The Cheshire cat in the photo's is me!

Thanks for the help Leege.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »
Great pics Dave

Online itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #284 on: August 19, 2020, 10:25:24 PM »
From social media:

PRESS RELEASE
Eamonn “Chick” Deacy to this day remains one of the finest footballers Galway has ever produced. Having played in the League of Ireland with Sligo Rovers, Limerick and Galway Rovers before becoming a firm fans favourite at Aston Villa where he played from 1978 – 1984, Chick was very successful with the English Division 1, European Cup and European Super Cup amongst his accolades during his time cross channel.
Having never lost sight of his hometown, Chick returned home in 1984 to continue his career with his beloved Galway United. On completion of his league of Ireland career he then returned to his local roots and played junior football with West United.
Many a Sunday morning Chick would line out against local opposition, always on hand to offer advice to young and enthusiastic footballers, he was both loved and feared in the local league as his talents on the pitch knew no boundaries. West United continue to play at South Park with their new juvenile academy going from strength to strength.
As we emerge from COVID-19 and look to rebuild our local economy, I am proposing a life size statue of Chick Deacy be erected at South Park. I believe it will work two-fold, firstly it would act as a landmark site for visitors to pay their respects to Chick Deacy. The football community at home and abroad including many a generation of Aston Villa supporter in Birmingham would have a place to remember their hero. With that, it would generate footfall to the West End of the city and support the local economy there as well as creating a starting point for visitors to walk our beautiful coastline to Salthill.
Secondly, for a club building an academy it would act as a constant reminder to a new generation of footballer anything is achievable. Chick’s career is inspirational and must be celebrated. In my view his statue overseeing the West United academy would act as that very inspiration young players need.
Having spoken to the Deacy family first, I have now engaged in conversation with the Galway City Council tourism officer to seek funding for this project which I believe would be welcomed by the footballing community in Galway and beyond. Dublin City Council correctly erected a statue of their beloved Luke Kelly, now is the turn of Galway City Council with a memorial to the late Eamonn ‘Chick’ Deacy, a man who won the highest honours possible cross channel playing the beautiful game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal