collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cuellar-Why are we not keeping him?  (Read 15538 times)

Offline Hoppo

Re: Cuellar-Why are we not keeping him?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
You cant compare Cuellar with Knight we havent had a proper consistent centre half from the day Cahill was sold. I would say that was the day I fell out of love with Martin No'Deal.

Offline Dan England

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »
There's got to be a reason why none of O'Neill, McDonald, Houllier or McLeish has given Cuellar a run at centre back....

Maybe it's the same incriminating photo's that keep getting Heskey a run?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »
You cant compare Cuellar with Knight we havent had a proper consistent centre half from the day Cahill was sold. I would say that was the day I fell out of love with Martin No'Deal.

He wasn't a 'proper consistent centre half' himself when he was sold.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
Maybe we will get to judge everything in hindsight as usual but I will say this, my own view is based on what I have seen of Carlos when he has played and not as some are suggesting rating him because he hasn't played. You don't have to agree ( I ain't naming) but don't put a twist on the post and words in my mouth-thanks.
My view is he is better than any of the other regular back four (not including Clarke or Herd here) and looks to have untapped potential-the others are never going to improve.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »
Granted he wasnt consistent at 20. It was evident though that he would play for England from a young age. No'Deal even tried him at right back. You can argue all day long about Villa but its criminal that we have wasted millions on centre halfs from Knight to Davies to Dunne to Collins to Cuellar when Cahill and Clark came through the ranks and cost feck all. They would compliment each other perfectly.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 04:40:57 PM »
Granted he wasnt consistent at 20. It was evident though that he would play for England from a young age. No'Deal even tried him at right back. You can argue all day long about Villa but its criminal that we have wasted millions on centre halfs from Knight to Davies to Dunne to Collins to Cuellar when Cahill and Clark came through the ranks and cost feck all. They would compliment each other perfectly.
agree with that Hoppo.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
Clark isn't really revelant to the point as he's a few years after him and is still here, and playing, so our policy of buying CBs hasn't hurt him.  Dunne & Collins were purchased after he left to replace Laursen, so again not directly relevant.

What is is the purchases of Knight and Davies, who directly held him back.  I'd say only one was needed, but the manager wanted some experienced cover, when the player then decided he wouldn't wait, so moved on.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
Carlos is and always has been just about ok, nothing special.   I hated it when he played at RB under O'Neill although I'd rather have him at RB than Hutton, but only because Hutton is mostly abysmal and thick with it. Reasonable but not exceptional CB.  Much like Collins, gets drawn out of position too much and beaten in the air a little too much as well.   I think it's fair to say that he has some of the worst distribution skills in the premier, or any other league. It literally could end up anywhere, except, it seems, where he was aiming it.  Surely MON didn't spend as much as 7.8 million on him?  Couple that with 8m on Warnock and fuck me we were taken to the fackin cleaners in a big way.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
Carlos is and always has been just about ok, nothing special.   I hated it when he played at RB under O'Neill although I'd rather have him at RB than Hutton, but only because Hutton is mostly abysmal and thick with it. Reasonable but not exceptional CB.  Much like Collins, gets drawn out of position too much and beaten in the air a little too much as well.   I think it's fair to say that he has some of the worst distribution skills in the premier, or any other league. It literally could end up anywhere, except, it seems, where he was aiming it.  Surely MON didn't spend as much as 7.8 million on him?  Couple that with 8m on Warnock and fuck me we were taken to the fackin cleaners in a big way.

Yep, agree with all of that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
Where has it been written or confirmed that we are looking at selling him?

Contract up in the summer so will probably leave on a free.

To me he's a much better centre half than James Collins, we saw this against Arsenal.

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 06:48:29 PM »
Gary Cahill to Chelsea for £7m.

Do we get any % of that transfer fee?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »

We're probably still paying a proportion of his wages.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »

Apparently it's 15% of any profit.

So about £300k.

Offline john2710

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

Cahill  is a good footballer but average defender.

The defender we've never replaced was Martin Laursen.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2012, 02:51:52 PM »
Carlos has never had a long enough run in central defence to determine his true worth.   I would say he probably equal at least to Dunne but with Collins distrubution.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal