collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:14:39 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Heskey Countdown  (Read 13821 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: The Heskey Countdown
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »
I was thrilled when we signed Fashanu.

But that's because I was more interested in Gladiators at that age than I was interested in football.

So was Fashanu.

*chuckle*

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »
When you think come June we'll have paid him close to £11m, you do have to ask whether Randy has a point or not.

Quite.

Another one is Habib Beye, who will have cost us £9m by the time he fucks off in the summer.

I don't really give a shit if Heskey is a nice bloke, he's a truly crap footballer who has contributed next to nothing in his time here, and it is a sad state of affairs that so many people are counting down the weeks until dross like him and Beye are off the payroll.

But he has contributed. But Beye has not even been played in double figures since he has been here (over 100 potential games). Compared to his time at Newcastle where he played 52 games and had a long term injury. Four Villa managers have all played Heskey alot and see something we can't, all four have not played Beye so they have seen something we haven't due to not seeing him in action. I can't believe he is any worse them Hutton.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:50 PM »
When you think come June we'll have paid him close to £11m, you do have to ask whether Randy has a point or not.

Quite.

Another one is Habib Beye, who will have cost us £9m by the time he fucks off in the summer.

I don't really give a shit if Heskey is a nice bloke, he's a truly crap footballer who has contributed next to nothing in his time here, and it is a sad state of affairs that so many people are counting down the weeks until dross like him and Beye are off the payroll.

But he has contributed. But Beye has not even been played in double figures since he has been here (over 100 potential games). Compared to his time at Newcastle where he played 52 games and had a long term injury. Four Villa managers have all played Heskey alot and see something we can't, all four have not played Beye so they have seen something we haven't due to not seeing him in action. I can't believe he is any worse them Hutton.

Heskey has contributed next to nothing.

Beye has conributed quite literally nothing.

The "managers have played him" argument is a bit of a catch-all thing though, you could say the same thing about every crap footballer - they get picked by lots of managers, too.

I tend to agree about Hutton, though. He's fucking terrible.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:47 PM »
But Emile has played and I like him.  I totally appreciate what he has given to the Villa over how many seasons is it now? And it's not easy, going on and hearing , 'oooh' - a groan of disillusionment.  But fair do's, he has gone on and given it.  I think he's superb, because he is a gentleman player and a 'holder' who gets put on whenever, whoever the manager is, thinks, 'we need him' and he always does his best. 
I am an Emile fan.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »
Heskey has contributed next to nothing.

Beye has conributed quite literally nothing.

The "managers have played him" argument is a bit of a catch-all thing though, you could say the same thing about every crap footballer - they get picked by lots of managers, too.

I tend to agree about Hutton, though. He's fucking terrible.

I wasn't defending him with the managers playing him, just using it to state the total opposite reaction from the managers for Beye. Apart from the Rapid game where he was played out of position and had a truly woeful Curtis playing next to him, I can't remember him being Hutton or Warnock bad.

But as for Heskey, yes, he wouldn't have been my choice and obviously we probably would have fared better with a different player, but his early good season form in the few matches after Mon Left and under Houllier did a whole lot to keep us up. His winners against Baggies and Wolves plus the others he setup meant we went into the last few matches safe rather then still fighting for our life. But as always with Heskey, just when it looks like he might be useful to have he decides to get injured.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »
I take your point re Houllier, but I think that's a very glossed vision of Heskey's contribution.

His winners against Wolves and Albion were in September and December, so it's not as if he secured our safety. As for the assists - i see he has one listed in the league last season.

Nine league goals in 2.5 years is an abysmal record for a striker, and his all-round play, whilst occasionally being useful, is nothing like enough to make up for it.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 12:41:28 AM »
I take your point re Houllier, but I think that's a very glossed vision of Heskey's contribution.

His winners against Wolves and Albion were in September and December, so it's not as if he secured our safety. As for the assists - i see he has one listed in the league last season.

Nine league goals in 2.5 years is an abysmal record for a striker, and his all-round play, whilst occasionally being useful, is nothing like enough to make up for it.

I didn't see the actual assists, but I think he setup Albrighton in one (actually might have been the loss against Spurs). But he definitely had a hand in a couple of goals as well if not the final ball by using his strength.

The winners might have been in in those months but it was still at least 6 more points more then we would have got without his goals. Yes ultimately we survived by more then that but would we have beaten Arse and Pool if the pressure was still there and we were on 6 less going into those games (Joint second from bottom). As i stated, the replacement player who played instead of Emile might have done better, but we will never know. So he might not have contributed much, but he did as much as anyone else in that year to ensure our survival.

But I still can't wait until he is gone. Maybe we can con someone into buying him in his last 6 months by linking him to a return to 'pool.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 01:17:25 AM »
I guess it is another pointless heskey bashing thread and everything that could be said about his years at Villa has been said and he seems like a nice bloke etc..etc., but what the hell, the countdown can't finish too soon for me.  I stopped getting angry about his inclusion in the team when MON was still here. Now it just depresses me now like some sort of non-fatal medical complaint that you live with but gradually grinds you down over time. I'd imagine Piles feels similar, or Gout, or just chronic toothache. Hopefully come May there will finally be a cure.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
It's a puzzle about Beye, the times he has played he has been decent and yet no manager has played him. People call him crap but he was player of the season at Newcastle, just can't fathom, when weve had all kinds of trouble at right back that he wasn't given more of a go. Better than Hutton.

Offline Fernando Partridge

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
I like the fact such a thread was started on the great mans birthday!!  In fact he was born 11 January 1978! And the other fact Andy Carroll will never be as good as him. Now there is a poor footballer
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:30:19 AM by Fernando Partridge »

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »

What - paid to him in wages, not transfer fees? Holy shit

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 09:38:33 AM »
Im pretty sure Heskey is a nice bloke but he definitely needs to go this transfer winodw (which I doubt as he is injured) or the summer.  He adds no value to the team.  I am, however, dreading reading the headline in the summer "Heskey signs contract extension".  I think this in it self deserves a protest should it happen

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »

What - paid to him in wages, not transfer fees? Holy shit

Randy hasn't got a point.  He's the one signing the cheques.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
As a player he isn't good enough, which I think we all know, but I think a 'countdown' is unfair.  Such treatment should be reserved for players who have taken the piss, not tried and sat around waiting for their wages - pretty much Stephen ireland up until a couple of weeks ago.  Heskey has done what has been asked of him as best he could, so while I don't want him to be given an extension I do wish him well for the future.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
As a player he isn't good enough, which I think we all know, but I think a 'countdown' is unfair.  Such treatment should be reserved for players who have taken the piss, not tried and sat around waiting for their wages - pretty much Stephen ireland up until a couple of weeks ago.  Heskey has done what has been asked of him as best he could, so while I don't want him to be given an extension I do wish him well for the future.

Is my view on it, and very well put John.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal