collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:59:39 PM]

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:52:56 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:44:57 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:59:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:58:50 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 01:56:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:55:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:55:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 01:54:32 PM]

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Swansea City Post-Match Thread  (Read 84431 times)

Online KRS

Re: Aston Villa v Swansea City Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
Listened to the game on Radio WM. Hard to comprehend how we can play well against Chelsea and then get played off the park by Swansea. Disgraceful performance.

Sounds like the fans are turning...boos and "you dont know what you're doing" ringing around Villa Park.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »
Well done to Swansea. Brendan Rodgers has shown that not having much money does not mean that you can't play proper football, and has given a lie to the idea that, just because you can't compete at the top, doesn't mean you can't play the game in the 'right' way.

It's a lesson we would do well to remember. Better in the fast half than other showings at home, but Bent should not have been allowed to walk into the team ahead of Albrighton (in better form) and shunting Gabby (better than Bent up front on his own and therefore better for the team) out to the wing. We don't look like passing and moving is a thing we train and practice for. The keeper and defence seem to think that them having the ball means going long, the keeper especially (how Vorm showed us that was wrong today!), and panic under the slightest pressure. Ireland going off was symbolic of the manager losing faith in football, an untenable thing to think, and our threat, however tenuous already, was irredeemably neutered.

A real shame which I hope we bounce back from properly, not losing faith in the better football which has happened in the last few games since Stoke at half-time (where Heskey went off, coincidence?). If he goes back to the aimless hoofball we resorted to today, it will be a very sad and telling day indeed.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
That was shit

Offline dean saunders left boot

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
awful just awful. 3 performances before this we seemed to be turning a corner in the football we played, better passing, more attacking, today we went back to being shite.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
As hopeless, embarrassing and insulting a mess as anything I've ever seen at Villa Park. But much closer to the Villa I've become accustomed to under Alex McLeish. Truly abject.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Terrible, I feel sorry for those who went and had to sit through that.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »
Coincidence that our performances have been better with Bent out the side and as soon as he comes back we revert to type?

Yes, god knows what powers he has over Warnock to make him have that performance after he played so well against Chelsea.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
Very bad, and really disappointing. Gave away two stupid goals and never looked like getting into it after that.

I actually thought we were quite bright for the first half hour, but faded away badly. Won't complain about the lineup as that's the team I'd have played. But I do have concerns about how Bent fits in. He really can be a passenger.

I won't stew on this one though, we showed we can play well at Chelsea and Swansea were fantastic.

Guzan 6, Cuellar 5, Collins 6, Dunne 8, Warnock 3, Petrov 7, Clark 7, Gabby 5, Ireland 7, CNZ 6, Bent 4

Offline TonyD

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »
Saturday to this ????

Losing and out played by Swansea who were the only team in the PL without an away win.

New lows....something's not right.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 04:59:02 PM »
There goes the footballing manager we should have appointed.......

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »
Coincidence that our performances have been better with Bent out the side and as soon as he comes back we revert to type?

Dropping albrighton was the bigger error in my opinion.  Gabby is a great player but he just isn't a threat when played wide right, albrighton's movement and energy make a big difference even when he doesn't have a great game, he was probably our best player when he came on but it was for the wrong person and was far too late.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
I thought the Villa fan in the stands summed it up beautifully as big Eck walked by...................phuk of.....

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

Sounds like the fans are turning...boos and "you dont know what you're doing" ringing around Villa Park.

That was the only time I heard then all game

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »

Yes, god knows what powers he has over Warnock to make him have that performance after he played so well against Chelsea.

We had over 90 mins (inc injury time) to pull it back if we had put the performance in.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »
Sell Bent? Nonsense.

Start creating some chances for him and we might avoid any repeat of this type of performance this season. We must have had 70% of the possession after we went 2-0 and did sod all with it. Not one decent chance until the 96th minute

Ireland was probably our brightest spark. Albrighton looked dangerous when he came on but his crossing was woeful and Hutton looked incapable of taking his man on.

All in all absolute dog shit and back to the drawing board after the false dawn at Stamford Bridge

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal