collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?  (Read 265341 times)

Online edgysatsuma89

Re: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?
« Reply #1125 on: October 15, 2023, 01:06:05 AM »
He's right about her form stalling and Dougie's progessing. Maybe the brand-building through her calendars etc. is a distraction from her football.

Is her form stalling? She scored 2 the first season for us and 5 last year. Apart from early on in her career when she was probably the best player in her team / league, she has not been a prolific scorer. I suspect she is an average WPL player, but then we are an average WPL Team who just happen to have a goal machine in Daly.

I don't know if she has gotten worse as I only got a season ticket last season but she is easily one of our weakest players in my opinion. I don't think she is good enough if we have aspirations of challenging for Europe but as I hadn't watched her week in week out prior to last season I can't state whether her career has 'stalled'. She's not that attractive to Footy though and I think we can all agree that that is important.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1126 on: October 15, 2023, 08:28:33 AM »
Tbf, when WSL players can be paid as little as around 400 or 500 quid a week, it probably helps having a sideline if you want to put the heating on.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1127 on: October 15, 2023, 10:43:59 AM »
They'll be a couple of celebs at the Emirates today.

The AFTV presenters?

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1128 on: October 15, 2023, 10:49:17 AM »
Tbf, when WSL players can be paid as little as around 400 or 500 quid a week, it probably helps having a sideline if you want to put the heating on.

And lets be honest, nobody really complained when Beckham used to do calendars in his pants.

Or that he had a larger media profile than most partly because he had ability & partly because the ladies liked him.

All I would say to those that don't like Lehmanns calendars, is just don't buy one...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 01:32:39 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1129 on: October 15, 2023, 10:51:46 AM »

And lets be honest, nobody really complained when Beckham used to do calendars in his pants.

Or that he had a larger media profile than most partly because he had ability & the ladies liked him.

All I would say to those that don't like Lehmanns calendars, is just don't buy one...

An easy decision to make at £150 a go!

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #1130 on: October 15, 2023, 11:03:39 AM »
I think that it’s the same as with the men that we judge ‘show pony’ players more harshly.
I think she is far from being one of our worst players but is more noticeable. We have a number of invisible players in that team that don’t get judged as harshly as her. 
I actually thought that both Douglas and her improved after their split (maybe both just threw themselves into their work a bit in that way that people do)
I actually like that she’s a positive player who will be heading straight for goal when she gets the ball in that area of the pitch, and she actually has a good shot on her. Yes, sometimes wildly wide, but again, the same could be said for some of our better male players (including Douglas) - but when they go in, they are special.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1131 on: October 15, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »
The point still stands Lehmann football ability doesn't warrant the big following in comparison to Rachel Daly who is the heroine and Villa best ever player and is not as globally known outside of football and doesn't have millions on social media.
Anyway this can be discussed on the women's football thread if needs be.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1132 on: October 15, 2023, 11:46:52 AM »
One thing that Villa should take advantage of is paying for more celebrities invitations to Aston Villa matches.
Getting A lister movie stars who are in UK promoting their movies
And more reality starts, social media and You tube personalities involved on match days.
Musicians too should be attending.

They don't have to be Villa supporters or even football supporters.
If anyone followed the misfits boxing last night it drums up a big interest and the celebrity crowd it's something that makes sense from marketing. Also when you see the invitation list who go to Inter Miami and PSG matches it's something Villa should build on asa brand.

It's all about the opportunity on building the Aston Villa brand. And making people outside of football aware.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1133 on: October 15, 2023, 11:50:02 AM »
One thing that Villa should take advantage of is paying for more celebrities invitations to Aston Villa matches.
And more reality starts, social media and You tube personalities involved on match days.

If anyone followed the misfits boxing last night it drums up a big interest and the celebrity crowd it's something that makes sense from marketing. Also when you see the invitation list who go to Inter Miami and PSG matches it's something Villa should build on asa brand.

It's all about the opportunity on building the Aston Villa brand. And making people outside of football aware.

No thank you, Footy, mate

Most of the types of celebrities you mention would be absolute ******

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1134 on: October 15, 2023, 11:51:04 AM »
Does the most popular* female player on the planet not count as such? We pay for her to come to games, sometimes she even gets to have a run on the pitch.

*based on last time I checked.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #1135 on: October 15, 2023, 12:12:59 PM »

Great idea !

A-lister movie stars?....Chelsea fan Michael Caine, just retired so he's got time on his hands.
Social media personalities ?.... One to attract younger fans. How about Andrew Tate if and when he gets back from Romania. Premier and WSL games for him eh ?
Fuck it, on the basis that any news is good news and you really want get our "brand" out there then  get the likes of Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and Gary Glitter on the pitch before kick off.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1136 on: October 15, 2023, 12:16:18 PM »

We asked Eric Clapton and Robert Plant but they politely declined. :(

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1137 on: October 15, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »
The point still stands Lehmann football ability doesn't warrant the big following in comparison to Rachel Daly who is the heroine and Villa best ever player and is not as globally known outside of football and doesn't have millions on social media.
Anyway this can be discussed on the women's football thread if needs be.

Does it bother you that much that she is social media savvy?

Some people have made whole careers from that alone, without the football...

Don't get me wrong, Im not a follower of hers on social media & neither will I be forking out £150 for a calendar, but she has as much right to utilise her social media towards marketing herself as you & I have of posting on this forum...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:31:32 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline mike

« Reply #1138 on: October 15, 2023, 12:39:40 PM »
I’m confused. I thought Lehmann was a player for the club, not a celebrity supporter?

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1139 on: October 15, 2023, 01:14:28 PM »
I’m confused. I thought Lehmann was a player for the club, not a celebrity supporter?

She is, but then “someone” decided to post some celebrity gossip news in here which was already being mentioned in the AV women’s thread anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal