collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?  (Read 256395 times)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?
« Reply #855 on: October 09, 2021, 03:41:45 PM »
I agree. Clyde Best was the first really high profile black player I remember.  I remember him being a good footballer and remember the reaction on the terraces to his colour. All this I remember from my TV in the front room watching MOTD or Sportsmight with Coleman. That is also how Zephaniah remembers it when he watched it with his family. I also remember the often referred to Bournemouth game with a packed 48,110 at the game with great fondness probably more so if I’d been there.  I’m sure Clyde Best did make an impression on him. The rest as someone else stated is poetic license.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #856 on: October 09, 2021, 06:10:02 PM »
Clyde Best. I remember people I knew respecting his abilities and at the same time spouting the cant that he’s good as a forward, by black people didn’t have the brains or nous so be anything else.

Fast forward to the 80s in America, and I’m going to see Philadelphia Eagles play the Rams. It’s Randal Cunningham’s first start at quarterback. He’s black. My colleagues, to a man think this is ridiculous as he’s black, and they’re great on any position other than QB because of their physical attributes. Expecting a black man to lead the team by using his brain, we’ll it’s a joke.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #857 on: October 09, 2021, 06:29:20 PM »
Clyde Best. I remember people I knew respecting his abilities and at the same time spouting the cant that he’s good as a forward, by black people didn’t have the brains or nous so be anything else.

Fast forward to the 80s in America, and I’m going to see Philadelphia Eagles play the Rams. It’s Randal Cunningham’s first start at quarterback. He’s black. My colleagues, to a man think this is ridiculous as he’s black, and they’re great on any position other than QB because of their physical attributes. Expecting a black man to lead the team by using his brain, we’ll it’s a joke.

I don't know much about American football at all, but that stereotype about black people not making good QBs is still pretty prevalent, isn't it? I've heard similar about football managers and cricket captains.

All nonsense, of course. The same 'black people lack intelligence/organisation/dilligence' bullshit that idiots have spouted for centuries.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #858 on: October 11, 2021, 02:44:55 PM »
West Ham played Ipswich in 1975 at Villa Park in the FA Cup Semi Final - Ben could've been amonst the 58000.

Ref: Clive Thomas (Treorchy)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #859 on: October 11, 2021, 02:52:12 PM »

I don't know much about American football at all, but that stereotype about black people not making good QBs is still pretty prevalent, isn't it? I've heard similar about football managers and cricket captains.

All nonsense, of course. The same 'black people lack intelligence/organisation/dilligence' bullshit that idiots have spouted for centuries.

I remember a series of racist 'jokes' along those lines from the 80s. What do you call a white man surrounded by 5 black guys? Coach, and 10 black guys?-- quarterback. Just deeply offensive and racist and I never understood at the time why they were supposed to be funny. It seems shit like that just never goes away.

« Reply #860 on: October 11, 2021, 04:19:02 PM »
West Ham played Ipswich in 1975 at Villa Park in the FA Cup Semi Final - Ben could've been amonst the 58000.

I've just read the article again and he says "Almost all the players were white but one day in the early 1970s West Ham came to Villa Park. Their side featured a black striker from Bermuda. “I remember being mesmerised by Clyde Best,” Zephaniah says. So he doesn't say he saw him play against Villa just that he saw him play at Villa Park.
Good old Ben; I knew he wasn't fibbing.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #861 on: October 11, 2021, 04:22:48 PM »
He also says Best was on the other side. Poetic licence.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #862 on: October 11, 2021, 07:36:26 PM »

I've just read the article again and he says "Almost all the players were white but one day in the early 1970s West Ham came to Villa Park. Their side featured a black striker from Bermuda. “I remember being mesmerised by Clyde Best,” Zephaniah says. So he doesn't say he saw him play against Villa just that he saw him play at Villa Park.
Good old Ben; I knew he wasn't fibbing.

Best didn't play against Ipswich though. His only two appearances in the FA Cup that season were against Swindon. He wasn't deliberately fibbing, but he WAS wrong.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #863 on: October 11, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »
1   Mervyn Day               
2   John McDowell               
3   Frank Lampard               
4   Billy Bonds               
5   Tommy Taylor               
6   Kevin Lock               
7   Billy Jennings               
8   Graham Paddon               
9   Alan Taylor               
10   Trevor Brooking               
11   Bobby Gould               
12   Pat Holland

The game ended 0-0, the replay was at Stamford Bridge.

« Reply #864 on: October 11, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
I think you’ll find that Clyde Best played for West Ham reserves in the 1970s. Now whether they played the Villa or not is something that needs clarifying. Anyone got any old Football Combination team sheets. I’m still with Ben on this.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #865 on: October 11, 2021, 11:05:21 PM »
I think he's just conflated seeing something on telly with an experience at the ground. He maybe saw Best playing on Match of the Day and has got it mixed up in his mind to think he saw him in the flesh, easily done. I reckon there will be thousands of Villa fans convinced they attended the 7-2 game in a few years.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #866 on: October 11, 2021, 11:09:29 PM »
I think you’ll find that Clyde Best played for West Ham reserves in the 1970s. Now whether they played the Villa or not is something that needs clarifying. Anyone got any old Football Combination team sheets. I’m still with Ben on this.

We were Central League which was Midlands and North. Football Combination was Midlands and South.
Only black player I remember in 3rd division early 70s was Ces Podd for Bradford City. He holds their appearance record.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:12:24 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #867 on: October 11, 2021, 11:24:23 PM »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #868 on: October 11, 2021, 11:39:43 PM »
Going off at a slight tangent, this list is interesting.

Suggests that we had our first Black player in 1901, Blose... not until 1982.

Is that right?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://footballs-black-pioneers.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/FOOTBALLS-BLACK-PIONEERS-ANNEX-1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiDkbuvssPzAhUeCmMBHXkhBN8QFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2MNyWkO5mdrab1I96SeM1o

Willie Clarke for us was the first black player to score a goal in the football league in December 1901.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #869 on: October 11, 2021, 11:41:05 PM »
I like that fact.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal