collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch  (Read 230888 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch
« Reply #885 on: September 28, 2022, 10:39:35 AM »
I'm pretty sure Delph was forced out by the club, after signing a contract that got us some money when he could have gone on a free.

I understood the disappointment, but the hate was OTT.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #886 on: September 28, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
We forced him out for about a third of his value? Seems unlikely to me. If he had left in the summer without all that "this is my club" bollocks few would have batted an eyelid but he can fuck off after that shite.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #887 on: September 28, 2022, 10:44:54 AM »
We forced him out for about a third of his value? Seems unlikely to me. If he had left in the summer without all that "this is my club" bollocks few would have batted an eyelid but he can fuck off after that shite.
The price was set in the new contract - which he didn't need to sign.

Once City came in I think the club decided they wanted the £8m anyway and pushed him to go (after all the 'my club' bollocks.)

Offline frank black

« Reply #888 on: September 28, 2022, 10:57:37 AM »

Once City came in I think the club decided they wanted the £8m anyway and pushed him to go (after all the 'my club' bollocks.)

That’s not how I recall it. I just saw it as a player having second thoughts, after making an Ill judged I’m staying and I love you statement.
After all the grief he had, I’d expect he’d have told his side of the story by now (if it wasn’t down to him).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #889 on: September 28, 2022, 11:11:08 AM »
We didn't push Delph out at all. The time line from when the contract talks were on that winter are important.

His agent advised against him signing a new deal. I don't blame him. At the time we were suffering the worst of Lambert, looking in a relegation scrap and he could have done a fortune in signing on fee if he went on a free.

Delph took his captaincy responsibilities seriously and didn't want to screw us over after standing by him through his injuries. It was Delph who insisted on signing against his agents wishes and who suggested a buyout clause of what we paid for him. His agent was flabbergasted that he signed the contract.

As things had been all bad news the club suggested that maybe he does an announcement they could play on the big screens to bring a feelgood factor back. Unfortunately he went a bit over the top with his comments (he talks too much).

When the Cited bid came in he was conflicted on whether to take the move. Again, unfortunately, he started talking before definitively making a decision.

He started off thinking it was the right move. Then felt bad at leaving his teammates in the lurch. And was constantly kept aware of the big changes we were making via the transfer window. So he changed his mind. And started talking about it again.

Citeh triggered his buyout clause again and offered more money. By now he was thinking he had made a mistake so changed his mind again. It is why he looked so thoroughly miserable when he signed for them.

The club didn't begrudge his move given what he did in the January but the real piss take was when he couldn't make our trip to Portugal whilst having these doubts because his wife was due to give birth (remember the Brummie daughter comments) yet was able to fuck off to Australia on their pre season tour before said child had exited the womb.

He isn't all bad and did some things he didn't have to in our favour. He was genuinely conflicted about the move. But it wouldn't have been half as bad if he had kept his trap shut.

Suggestions we pushed him out of the door are a load of nonsense though.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #890 on: September 28, 2022, 11:48:04 AM »
We don't know if all of that is true, I heard a different version but don't claim to be itk.  I do think the club was happy to take the money at the time.

What we do know is he signed a contract that secured us £8m.  But fans would have preferred he left on a free if only he didn't upset them with a video about liking the club.  It's madness really that something that stareted with an alturistic gesture ended up with him being one of our most hated players in the last 20 years - and bear in mind the absolute shisters and wastes of money that have darkened our doors in that time.

It's similar (but not quite the same) for Jack.  He probbaly increased his transfer value by £40m by signing his contract, bt it's still something that peope hold against him.

I'll save my real ire for people like N'Zogbia and Ireland, who had all the talent but just couldn't give a shit, or McCormack and Lansbury, who just took the piss.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #891 on: September 28, 2022, 11:58:07 AM »
Nobody ever said that following football was a logical hobby did they?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #892 on: September 28, 2022, 06:47:18 PM »

The first paragraph is true, the second paragraph is entirely supposition. I've no reason whatsoever to believe that they wouldn't rather have kept him. We spent more on his replacement.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #893 on: September 29, 2022, 10:40:39 AM »
Even so, in both CL's version and mine, Delph still doesn't come accross as the heinous charachter he's made out to be.  He basically signed a contract (against advice) to secure the club £8m when he didn't need to.  As Risso said football isn't a logical hobby, but I still find the fact that people would rather he left on a free so long as there wasn't a video a bit perplexing.  Ultimately he's been hung by what many would consider to be a pretty honorable gesture. 

I hope we don't complain in future when players fuck off for nothing and others show no sentimentality or love for the club as they know it will only come back to bite them.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #894 on: October 12, 2022, 03:09:42 PM »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #895 on: October 12, 2022, 03:10:41 PM »
Well then why are you mentioning him in this thread? Tsk, honestly.

(Hopefully nobody scrolls up and notices my post about Delph on this thread)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #896 on: October 12, 2022, 03:12:26 PM »
Well then why are you mentioning him in this thread? Tsk, honestly.

(Hopefully nobody scrolls up and notices my post about Delph on this thread)

I knew this would be on the first couple of pages. Less so for the man himself's thread.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #897 on: October 12, 2022, 03:21:29 PM »
Only 31...which means we had him in his prime. Gosh.

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #898 on: October 17, 2022, 08:31:45 PM »
Corey Blackett-Taylor has just scored for Charlton.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #899 on: October 18, 2022, 11:44:44 AM »
Scott Sinclair has joined Bristol Rovers.

I never realised that he was from the West Country and started his career at Rovers

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal