collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch  (Read 236264 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch
« Reply #1185 on: February 17, 2024, 04:23:39 PM »
Aaron Ramsey serious knee injury. Possibly ACL.

Is there some sort of Norse god of knees we've offended in some way? He's going after the extended family now.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #1186 on: February 17, 2024, 04:26:14 PM »
Coventry  1 up. O'Hare assist.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1187 on: February 18, 2024, 01:30:31 PM »
AJ looked a lovely technical player but he gets so many injuries. Probably a good job we sold him just because he's rarely fit.

Offline FailsworthVillan

« Reply #1188 on: February 23, 2024, 06:38:30 PM »
Ciaran Clark & Wesley both starting for Stoke u21’s tonight against our kids.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1189 on: February 24, 2024, 12:46:35 AM »
And Clacker scored a tap-in!

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1190 on: February 26, 2024, 12:39:50 AM »
Brad Young with a hat-trick for TNS.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #1191 on: March 02, 2024, 03:54:24 PM »
Brad Young, another hat trick today for TNS.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1192 on: March 02, 2024, 04:09:11 PM »
Waiting for the 'we've fucked up selling him' posts.  :)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1193 on: March 02, 2024, 05:54:58 PM »
Waiting for the 'we've fucked up selling him' posts.  :)

We didn't but teams in league 2 fucked up not giving him a look, he has pace and can finish, which is enough to be dangerous at that level.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1194 on: March 02, 2024, 09:40:32 PM »
Jonathan Hogg sent off for Huddersfield in their draw with Leeds.

Still their captain and playing pretty much every game at 35. Back in 2010 probably wouldn't have been one the favourites of that youth crop to have that solid a career at such a high level.

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #1195 on: March 02, 2024, 09:45:50 PM »
Jonathan Hogg sent off for Huddersfield in their draw with Leeds.

Still their captain and playing pretty much every game at 35. Back in 2010 probably wouldn't have been one the favourites of that youth crop to have that solid a career at such a high level.
If Jonathan Hogg is 35 then I am old.

Online Dave

« Reply #1196 on: March 09, 2024, 10:29:08 PM »
Not still playing, but Tom Cleverley named interim Watford boss after they sacked Valerian Ishmael.

Feels like he should be older than 34.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #1197 on: March 10, 2024, 01:12:50 AM »
Not sure I’m ready for a world where Tom Cleverley is a manager.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #1198 on: March 15, 2024, 11:50:02 AM »
Coventry’s Callum O’Hare: ‘I was stuck in bed for two months, couldn’t move’

Quote from: The Guardian
Before FA Cup quarter-final the midfielder discusses Wembley, playing Gaelic football and still practising in the park with his dad

Ben Fisher
Fri 15 Mar 2024 10.57 GMT

When Callum O’Hare stepped up his rehabilitation from a serious knee injury last August, Coventry’s physios recognised the need to temper his enthusiasm. After eight monotonous months, he was inevitably excited to tie the laces on his boots and hit the grass. He felt “fresh out of the jailhouse” after countless days spent watching teammates train from an exercise bike in the gym, but was told to expect a fine if he began kicking the balls too soon upon his return.

“The staff know how much I love football,” he says. “If there’s a ball in front of me, I’ll always play with it, no matter what it is: a tennis ball, a little floater – anything. Or I’ll make socks into a ball. They were like: ‘You’re not quite at the stage to be kicking balls.’ My first jog around the pitch, one of the players tried to pass me the ball and I just had to leave it. It was heartbreaking. ‘Sorry, I can’t.’”

O’Hare, who spent 303 days on the sidelines, including Coventry’s Championship playoff final defeat last season, talks with the same eagerness about wanting to reach an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley, a stage he has graced only as a 12-year-old representing his Solihull district side. “It wasn’t a full pitch, so it wasn’t the same.” How did he fare? “Oh, we won, we won – we won 4-1 … though it wasn’t a real game,” O’Hare says, laughing at himself.

O’Hare makes warm company over half an hour of conversation, taking in his journey from playing for Binbrook under-sevens to learning from Jack Grealish and John Terry at Aston Villa and aiming to reach the top flight with Coventry this season. He is almost incredulous at the suggestion that the days honing his skills with his dad, Brendan, at Bentley Heath Park, round the corner from the family home where he lives with his parents and two siblings, are likely long gone. He smiles and shakes his head.

“Until my injury, if I had a bad game we’d be going to the park the day after, it didn’t matter how tired I was. When I was younger, my dad was the coach for my Sunday league team. We went unbeaten so obviously he thinks he’s Pep Guardiola now. He never wants to let it go, so I’m just like: ‘Come on then.’ It is good fun. We go down and have a good laugh and after it you feel better.”

His dad called on Monday, a scheduled day off for the players, but O’Hare was busy. “He was like: ‘I’m going to the park.’ I said: ‘I can’t, I’m already here [at training].’ I came in to do some shooting practice. He was fuming.”

Coventry, led admirably by Mark Robins, are eighth in the second tier, primed for another shot at the playoffs after losing on penalties at Wembley last May. O’Hare was in the stands, powerless to affect proceedings. Being told he had ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and the subsequent recovery, he says, was the hardest time of his life.

“When I was stuck in bed for two months, couldn’t move, that was just horrible,” he says. “I couldn’t do anything – even going to the toilet was like a mad exercise. When I started to come back and the boys were playing all the big games, the semi-finals and at Wembley, I was just sat there thinking: ‘What I would do to play in this in front of everyone.’”

O’Hare spent 15 years at Villa, for whom he made four appearances, before joining Coventry on loan in 2019-20 and signing permanently the following season. “When I was there [at Villa] I lived in digs with [former academy defender] Liam Hailey. He’s a Wolves season-ticket holder. We speak all the time and he messaged me as soon the draw came out. He sent me the eyes emoji and I replied saying: ‘Yeah, I’ll see you soon.’ Hopefully he won’t go home happy.”

Callum O’Hare celebrates after scoring for Coventry at Birmingham in April 2022. Photograph: Bradley Collyer/PA
There is footballing pedigree in the family. O’Hare’s uncle, the former Birmingham City captain Ian Clarkson, was in the stands at St Andrew’s working for BBC Radio West Midlands when O’Hare capped the scoring in a 4-2 comeback victory almost two years ago. O’Hare celebrated his goal by donning a pair of sunglasses sent his way by a Coventry supporter and the images went viral.

“It was a boiling-hot day and when we were celebrating someone has thrown them and everyone was trying to jump on me but I saw the glasses and I was like: ‘I have to put these on.’”

Growing up, local rivalries extended to Gaelic football. He and Grealish played for the same GAA team, John Mitchel’s, and O’Hare twice represented Warwickshire at Croke Park. “I didn’t play with Jack at Gaelic, but his games would often be just an hour after so you would stay and watch their games. He was a proper player.”

O’Hare’s expert technique was spotted by an eagle-eyed Coventry supporter when he punched the ball away after equalising against Leicester in January. “My mum and dad said the same,” he says, smiling. “I always pass the ball if it’s in my hands like a Gaelic pass. I pick the ball up doing the same thing; I’ll flick it up into my hands. It’s just natural.”

While O’Hare was a youngster at Villa, his older brother, Keiran, was playing for the same Coventry youth team as James Maddison. O’Hare’s younger sister, Alliyah, is a world-champion Irish dancer. “She’s like the Messi of Irish dancing,” the 25-year-old says. “She has won eight world championships and she has one coming up this month so she could get her ninth. Well, she will get her ninth one – she is unbelievable. It’s annoying because she is often banging downstairs practising when I’m trying to relax but I let her off because she’s always winning.”

O’Hare hopes to be a winner at Molineux on Saturday. Are Coventry’s players dreaming about the prospect of making it into the last four? “Yeah, of course,” he says. “Wolves are in the Premier League but I reckon they are doing the same. They’re probably saying: ‘We’re playing Coventry, we’re one game from Wembley.’ You win the game and you’re at Wembley: what more do you want from one match, really?

“Everyone is buzzing and we cannot wait. Hopefully we can go out and put a performance on – but the main thing is to win.”

Online Dave

« Reply #1199 on: March 23, 2024, 09:51:50 PM »
Andi Weimann's Indian summer of an international career sees him get his second international goal tonight.

A seven year gap between his 14th and 15th caps for Austria.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal