collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 04:44:04 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by itbrvilla
[Today at 04:34:54 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by eamonn
[Today at 04:31:03 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 04:30:47 PM]

FFP by David_Nab
[Today at 04:28:19 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 04:25:55 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by simboy
[Today at 03:32:30 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by paul_e
[Today at 03:08:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hillsborough Disaster petition  (Read 18198 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Hillsborough Disaster petition
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »

But why were there any, particularly if there were tickets available. Which leads back to the original comment about ticketless fans.

The game was a sell-out. There were a few touts around, and a few fans without tickets. There was certainly not enough of them to make any real difference to what happened. 

As Nick says, read the book.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »
The game was a sell-out.

Was it?  I'm not arguing the other stuff, but I read that there were tickets available for the leppings lane end the day before at Anfield.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »
The game was a sell-out.

Was it?  I'm not arguing the other stuff, but I read that there were tickets available for the leppings lane end the day before at Anfield.

As far as I know it was, although only just. Joking aside, an FA Cup semi-final wasn't a big deal for Liverpool then.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
A fair number of those killed (20 plus I believe) were people with tickets who entered when the gate was opened (because their tickets still had the stubs on them.) This is pretty good evidence that this was not a case of a ticketless mob turning up at the last minute and killing the innocent.

Phil Scruton's book is a harrowing read. From beginning to end the victims and their families have been treated appallingly at every stage of the process.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
A fair number of those killed (20 plus I believe) were people with tickets who entered when the gate was opened (because their tickets still had the stubs on them.) This is pretty good evidence that this was not a case of a ticketless mob turning up at the last minute and killing the innocent.

Phil Scruton's book is a harrowing read. From beginning to end the victims and their families have been treated appallingly at every stage of the process.

Most definitely.

To lose your son or daughter is harrowing and devastating enough.  But to go 20+ years without knowing how or why their child died, or to wait for someone to take responsibility must make it impossible to move on with their lives.

An absolute disgrace that this has taken so long.  Hopefully the truth will out and those who have been protected will no longer be so.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »

Good luck to the families, and i hope they get the closure they all need, but i'm not sure what they expect from this.

What is the big cover up?  That Duckenfield panicked?, that football grounds in the 70s, 80s were dangerous places,?That fences stopped people escaping?, that Hillsborough with THAT tunnel was a disaster waiting to happen?

As i say good luck to them, but hanging out someone to dry for this , for me , would just smack of looking for a scapegoat.
  There were plenty of reasons for Hillsborough happening, including probably all of our boisterous, aggressive actions in the 70s and 80s making govts treat us like animals, and consequently acting like animals.  All i know is that after Hillsborough the authorities started looking at us football supporters as human beings again, and finally started to treat us better.Hillsborough was a horrific accident, terrible, but i think we have to move on.If the families want full exposure, then give it to them, its about time they were given peace of mind.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
It's all about accountability. I don't think it's too much to ask that the authorities are held to account should they fail in their duty of care to the public, and they most certainly should be taken to task if it is found that they tried to cover up their failings (or even worse, lied to shift the blame onto innocent football fans). You might as well ask why there should be an investigation into Bloody Sunday, or the lead up to the Iraq war.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »
It's all about accountability. I don't think it's too much to ask that the authorities are held to account should they fail in their duty of care to the public, and they most certainly should be taken to task if it is found that they tried to cover up their failings (or even worse, lied to shift the blame onto innocent football fans). You might as well ask why there should be an investigation into Bloody Sunday, or the lead up to the Iraq war.

It is about accountability. It's about having all the available evidence in public to understand how and why certain decisions were made, not least what led the first inquest to consider that everyone was deceased at 3.15pm when eye witnesses quite clearly gave evidence that people were still alive after that time with barely a paramedic in sight.

The families must have answers to those kind of questions if they are have any peace or closure.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 10:48:30 PM »

Most definitely.

To lose your son or daughter is harrowing and devastating enough.  But to go 20+ years without knowing how or why their child died, or to wait for someone to take responsibility must make it impossible to move on with their lives.

An absolute disgrace that this has taken so long.  Hopefully the truth will out and those who have been protected will no longer be so.

Looking at that book now on my book shelf. Compelling and required reading for anyone who wants to know what it felt like for the families involved at the time it happened and in the immediate aftermath, almost irrespective of who was at fault. The way they were treated was shocking...

Offline Damo70

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2011, 11:17:16 PM »
The Cabinet Office is appealing against the decision to make the papers public in order to allow the independant panel to look into the circumstances and aftermath of the disaster and oversee the disclosure of documents. Why don't the panel just look into the circumstances and aftermath and let the ruling by the commissioner that the papers be made public stand? It's not as if there is anything to hide is there? I have memories of the first and last games of the 87-88 season at Ipswich and Swindon where I was in the middle of a good natured Villa crowd waiting to get into the grounds and the arrangements and policing seemed a tad amateur but of course if I had been crushed to death it would have been the fault of the crazed hooligans I was in the middle of.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
119,636 signatures now.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »
Done. I hope the families get the justice they deserve to finally allow them to have some closure.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
Bless all the families who have lived a living hell. Justice is to late. But if it helps them good luck .......

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »

What is the big cover up?   

The "establishment" automatically trying to cover up a cock-up; something that seems to happen with monotonous regularity when "ordinary" people are involved.

For a modern equivelant see the "undeserving poor" and then consider how a 5-year old child can drag itself out of poverty created by adults.

The Truth must out (for once)

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »
I've signed it. I remember being at Preston North End that day - the announcer at Deepdale said "The match has been abandoned due to a pitch invasion by Liverpool fans".

We got back in the car and heard Peter Jones on the radio talking about using Hillsbrough's gym as a makeshift morgue. Horrible, horrible day.

I hope the families get justice and some closure - I can't help feeling that after this long though, they won't get either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal