collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Dave
[Today at 10:27:30 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:25:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by johnc
[Today at 10:19:28 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:13:48 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 10:04:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 59172 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Fulham vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »
This is a general point re AY, and not aimed at you, Toronto, but I heard a statistic yesterday regarding how many of our goals last season were either scored by, or involved Ashley Young.

I can't remember the figure, but it made me think "fucking hell" - ie it was very high.

I never for the life of me understood why some of our fans moaned and whinged about him all the time. No, his last couple of seasons weren't as good as the first two, but he was very, very important for us nonetheless.

I entirely understand why he went, we were never going to hold on to him when Man United came in (although gratifyingly, we never had to flog him to the like of Spurs or a club on a similar level to us), but we are going to find it very difficult to replace him. Incidentally, for all the brickbats we're (rightly) throwing at him, the same goes for Downing.

N'Zogbia might turn out to be a fine replacement for one of those two, and I really, really hope he is, but we had a hint yesterday of how important it is that we supply Darren Bent with ammo, and with Young and Downing both gone, it's going to take something pretty extraordinary to keep up the same level of supply.

I absolutely agree with all of that. I was one of Ash's biggest fans and hated it when people whinged about him. The thing with Ash in my opinion was given the amount of times he carved out opportunities for himself, the percentage of successful deliveries should have been better. We all know what he's capable of, but with a little more composure and training he can go to a much higher level. Today, Ash was the Ash we all know. Taking on the full back and putting in incredible crosses. The major difference at Man U is he also has 4 or 5 other top attacking players on the pitch with him at all times that will share in all of the duties he pretty much did himself at Villa. It will force him to up his game being at a better club.

In my opinon N'Zogbia has a better delivery than Ash when he gets into the final third. I think we'll see that once he gets an understanding with Bent. What I don't know yet is whether he'll make as many opportunities as him, or work as hard. That's a long road, and Ash is a much better all round player than N'Zogbia for that reason.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
N'Zogbia might turn out to be a fine replacement for one of those two, and I really, really hope he is, but we had a hint yesterday of how important it is that we supply Darren Bent with ammo, and with Young and Downing both gone, it's going to take something pretty extraordinary to keep up the same level of supply.

Agreed. In spades. It would be ridiculous to dismiss N'Zogbia on one rather limp performance, especially with his lack of match time this pre-season and his prior good work for Wigan, but he needs to his his straps sharpish or McLeish needs to shuffle the squad around because, as good as that point was yesterday Bent is going to struggle with Heskey and Gabby playing in those roles.

It was hard at times, especially on the occasions we broke away in the second half, when we didn't seem to have anyone prepared to take his man on of simply have a go (though Marc showed some inclination admiitedly). I just imagined what an Ashley Young would have made of it (bit pointless, but there you go).

Offline gervilla

« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
This is a general point re AY, and not aimed at you, Toronto, but I heard a statistic yesterday regarding how many of our goals last season were either scored by, or involved Ashley Young.

I can't remember the figure, but it made me think "fucking hell" - ie it was very high.

I never for the life of me understood why some of our fans moaned and whinged about him all the time. No, his last couple of seasons weren't as good as the first two, but he was very, very important for us nonetheless.

I entirely understand why he went, we were never going to hold on to him when Man United came in (although gratifyingly, we never had to flog him to the like of Spurs or a club on a similar level to us), but we are going to find it very difficult to replace him. Incidentally, for all the brickbats we're (rightly) throwing at him, the same goes for Downing.

We will miss him and his massive contribution to the team.
Personally, his petulance, whinging at refs , diving, and the fact that he had to take every free kick and corner and wasted a huge percentage of them are a few of the reasons why I would think he was getting so much stick.
A great talent  but infuriating at times.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »
In my opinon N'Zogbia has a better delivery than Ash when he gets into the final third. I think we'll see that once he gets an understanding with Bent. What I don't know yet is whether he'll make as many opportunities as him, or work as hard. That's a long road, and Ash is a much better all round player than N'Zogbia for that reason.

It's not really a like for like comparison, to be honest.

I may be wrong (not having watched CNZ that intently before) but he seems more likely to cut in and taken on his man than AY is - or at least was when playing for MON, with crosses more important.

I reckon Young will do excellently at Man United. I hope he does, too. He was good four us, gave us four years, didn't fuck the club around, scored some memorable goals, and seemed to connect with the club.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »

It's not really a like for like comparison, to be honest.

I may be wrong (not having watched CNZ that intently before) but he seems more likely to cut in and taken on his man than AY is - or at least was when playing for MON, with crosses more important.

I reckon Young will do excellently at Man United. I hope he does, too. He was good four us, gave us four years, didn't fuck the club around, scored some memorable goals, and seemed to connect with the club.

There are differences, but both I think like to cut in from different sides of the pitch. N'Zogbia is very left footed and likes to cut in and cross or shoot. He'll be lot quicker to pull the trigger from what I've seen. One of the frustrations with Ash was that extra touch he'd sometimes take that allowed defenders to get back, or disrupted the timing with the forward. I think N'Zogbia's a lot more direct which is probably why he gets more goals too. Either way, we'll miss Ash's overall play, and N'Zogbia will only make up for some of it.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »
Just got back.
Had fantastic weekend and actually enjoyed the game. In the neutral end surrounded by  Americans who were all rooting for Villa come second half. Great pub before and after the game at Wetherspoons by the Thames.Signed some petition regarding sewerage pipe and playing field ???? Walked past Eight bells at aprox 7pm surrounded by riot police and police vans anyone know what that was about ??

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
I didn't go yesterday, but have been before, and Fulham is the best away trip of the lot (although with so many nice places to drink, why anyone uses the Eight Bells is beyond me).

Last time, walking through the park pre-match and buying a warm, ciabatta-based snack from a stall manned by a couple of middle class housewives, it struck me that that is about as different as you can get from the match-going experience of Villa Park (botulism burgers from fat blokes in caravans under the Expressway)

It's a lovely day out, everything about it. The neutral end is ace, you get the most surreal mix of people in there, and if the match is crap you can watch the planes coming in over the Thames.

Anyone who hasn't been should definitely make the effort.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »
Interesting view of the match (and other things) from across the pond.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110813/ZNYT03/108133018/-1/news03?Title=In-Britain-Soccer-Crowds-Are-Welcome-Sights

I note they came across Dave: "...the bellowing fanzine sellers..." certainly doesn't describe Steve.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
Interesting view of the match (and other things) from across the pond.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110813/ZNYT03/108133018/-1/news03?Title=In-Britain-Soccer-Crowds-Are-Welcome-Sights

I note they came across Dave: "...the bellowing fanzine sellers..." certainly doesn't describe Steve.

I like the bit where he tells us about hooligans putting on war paint, and going about in converted mini-buses called 'war wagons'.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2011, 08:08:17 PM »
Just got back.
Had fantastic weekend and actually enjoyed the game. In the neutral end surrounded by  Americans who were all rooting for Villa come second half. Great pub before and after the game at Wetherspoons by the Thames.Signed some petition regarding sewerage pipe and playing field ???? Walked past Eight bells at aprox 7pm surrounded by riot police and police vans anyone know what that was about ??

Standard practice they've been there every time I've been, I think it's just the easiest spot for them to park up and they know that most fans will pass that way on the way back to the tube. This is also the first year they've stopped fans standing outside so I guess they weren't sure what the upshot would be.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
Just got back.

Standard practice they've been there every time I've been, I think it's just the easiest spot for them to park up and they know that most fans will pass that way on the way back to the tube. This is also the first year they've stopped fans standing outside so I guess they weren't sure what the upshot would be.

That's good.Was worried that it may have kicked off which would have been disappointing

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »
Also, bent's been a one in two man his whole career, whether playing with young and downing or playing upfront by himself chasing long balls into the corner for charlatan or Sunderland.

I do however agree that n'zogbia is a real individualist, and we'll need albrighton, ireland, and possibly gabby, heskey and bannan here and there to provide the bullets

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »
I didn't go yesterday, but have been before, and Fulham is the best away trip of the lot (although with so many nice places to drink, why anyone uses the Eight Bells is beyond me).

Last time, walking through the park pre-match and buying a warm, ciabatta-based snack from a stall manned by a couple of middle class housewives, it struck me that that is about as
different as you can get from the match-going experience of Villa Park (botulism burgers from fat blokes in caravans under the Expressway)

It's a lovely day out, everything about it. The
neutral end is ace, you get the most surreal mix
of people in there, and if the match is crap you
can watch the planes coming in over the Thames.
Anyone who hasn't been should definitely make
 the effort.

I only live 20 minutes away. I'd consider going to non villa games more regularly actually as and when I have a little lad of my own especially. Really pleasant few hours every time I go.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »

Last time, walking through the park pre-match and buying a warm, ciabatta-based snack from a stall manned by a couple of middle class housewives, it struck me that that is about as
different as you can get from the match-going experience of Villa Park (botulism burgers from fat blokes in caravans under the Expressway)

It's a lovely day out, everything about it. The
neutral end is ace, you get the most surreal mix
of people in there, and if the match is crap you
can watch the planes coming in over the Thames.
Anyone who hasn't been should definitely make
 the effort.

I only live 20 minutes away. I'd consider going to non villa games more regularly actually as and when I have a little lad of my own especially. Really pleasant few hours every time I go.

My first visit yesterday and my first away game since I was a child.

Didn't disappoint at all.

(although a goal would have been nice)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal