collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where will we finish?  (Read 54707 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Re: Where will we finish?
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
Voted 16th.

The defence is rank bad, and minus the best performer last season (Walker), and possibly minus our best central defender (Cuellar). I have no faith in Eck performing miracles and getting them to play well, indeed Dunne is another year older and will possibly decline still further.

The midfield is far and away weaker than last year, having been shorn of its two best players. We have a good signing in N'Zogbia, but that is a very poor trade for Young AND Downing. Petrov is not going to miraculously become a 90 minute player, and beyond him we have no one that can tackle in he squad. EWe will miss Coker this year. Delph seems very injury prone. Makoun may do better, but needs to as he was not great last season. I fully expect Ireland to comtinue to be poor, based on his pre season form being no better than last season. Albrighton looks jaded, though I would hope he will improve.

Up front we have Bent, best hope he does not get injured as without him we could be in the relegation mix again.

Can't see past a bloody awful season tbh.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
There are not 15 clubs with better squads than us.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »

No but there are 15 squads with better managers and squads on par with ours.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »

No but there are 15 squads with better managers and squads on par with ours.

So, which are the 4 clubs that will finish below us?

Offline ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »
Promoted teams plus one of Blackburn and Wigan.

Of course its only a prediction, and if everything clicks it could see us as high as 10th. With a Parker / Barton signing I would have us down for top 10, but without a tackler in midfield we are very exposed and have a rank bad defence.

Given and Bent are absolutely crucial to us staying out of relegation trouble. I think there will be quite a gap between 16th and the drop zone though this year. The promoted sides all look certainties for going back down this year.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »
Main difference i can see between our squad and others who finished below us last seaon is Bent. Lose him for any length of time and they could easily finish above us.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »
So you think we're worse than Wolves and one of Wigan or Blackburn.

I watched us out play Blackburn just over a week ago.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »
Main difference i can see between our squad and others who finished below us last seaon is Bent. Lose him for any length of time and they could easily finish above us.

Injuries to key players is something all clubs have to worry about.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »

True but as last season showed we haven't got anyone to come in and do Bent's job. Where would we have finished if Bent hadn't been signed? 12th? 14th? 16th?

Offline eastie

« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

not sure outplay is correct , we played well enough bu how many shots did we have on target? i agree we are better than blackburn but we werent that good against them.

Offline eastie

« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »

True but as last season showed we haven't got anyone to come in and do Bent's job. Where would we have finished if Bent hadn't been signed? 12th? 14th? 16th?

maybe worse -where were we when he arrived? 18th?

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2011, 11:24:41 AM »
My hunch is that top six is given - Man U, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and L'pool - and bottom six will probably be Blackburn, Wigan, Wolves, Norwich, QPR and Swansea. That leaves eight teams: Villa, Everton, Fulham, Sunderland, Newcastle, Stoke, Bolton and Albion -- who'll finish between 7th and 14th. Thus I realise 14th is, perhaps, overtly pessimistic.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »

not sure outplay is correct , we played well enough bu how many shots did we have on target? i agree we are better than blackburn but we werent that good against them.

That's just splitting hairs. We were better than them.

I just think a lot of people are guilty of over playing our weaknesses and ignoring those at other clubs.

Offline eastie

« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »

That's just splitting hairs. We were better than them.

I just think a lot of people are guilty of over playing our weaknesses and ignoring those at other clubs.

I certainly believe we have the quality to finish 7th if all goes well, but i would be concerned should given or bent in particular be injured long term -injury free i see top 8 as very realistic,but i would love to see one more signing at least of the calibre of parker.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2011, 11:30:36 AM »
My hunch is that top six is given - Man U, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and L'pool - and bottom six will probably be Blackburn, Wigan, Wolves, Norwich, QPR and Swansea. That leaves eight teams: Villa, Everton, Fulham, Sunderland, Newcastle, Stoke, Bolton and Albion -- who'll finish between 7th and 14th. Thus I realise 14th is, perhaps, overtly pessimistic.

I reckon you're pretty close there, my one exception would be Newcastle who appear to be in complete disarray and it wouldn't surprise me to see them in a relegation fight. With, perhaps, one of the promoted teams having a better season than expected.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal